2007 Roi Monster Frameset Arrived

carbonguru said:
Bobby I do all that and more. Building Bikes is easy for me. It's my hobby and joy. For me it is not stressful or difficult. So now your mad at me because I build a bike faster than you and because I helped my friends with their bikes? How nutty and insecure is that?
How insecure are you? Building bikes is not a race, it is an art. Rushing it will not accomplish anything. You also must be extremely fast to be able to go from unpacking individual components to finishing their set-up in less than two hours. That is one hell of a lot of packagin and zip-ties to go through. Once again, any bike built as fast as possible is not worth riding. I ride a bike built as well as possible. Do not turn what should be a careful, enjoyable, satisfying although somewhat time consuming process into a race. What you end up with is a sub standard product.

carbonguru said:
Bobby I do all that and more. Building Bikes is easy for me. It's my hobby and joy. For me it is not stressful or difficult. So now your mad at me because I build a bike faster than you and because I helped my friends with their bikes? How nutty and insecure is that?
Actually carbonguru, his knowledge of bikes and his ability to argue his points with data and not fabrications, belie his very young age. I think you better leave "insecure" outta this one dude (for obvious reasons), you're completely outwitted by one, very impressive 15 yo.

Who said I was rushing? I just work fast. :)

bobbyOCR said:
How insecure are you? Building bikes is not a race, it is an art. Rushing it will not accomplish anything. You also must be extremely fast to be able to go from unpacking individual components to finishing their set-up in less than two hours. That is one hell of a lot of packagin and zip-ties to go through. Once again, any bike built as fast as possible is not worth riding. I ride a bike built as well as possible. Do not turn what should be a careful, enjoyable, satisfying although somewhat time consuming process into a race. What you end up with is a sub standard product.

Nothing against Bobby. I like the kid. I resepect his opinion, as I do yours, or anyone in this forum. Have a great day! :)

100miles said:
Actually carbonguru, his knowledge of bikes and his ability to argue his points with data and not fabrications, belie his very young age. I think you better leave "insecure" outta this one dude (for obvious reasons), you're completely outwitted by one, very impressive 15 yo.

carbonguru said:
CampyBob you can't build a bike in 3 hours?
actually, i don't know that i've ever built i framest up into a bicycle in less than 4 or 5 hours.

i've been at it since 1972, so i really don't think i'm 'slow' by any sretch of the imagination.

in addition to the many bicycles i've built up and collected over the decades, i own farm tractors, garden tractors, motorcycles, select-fire machineguns, various road vehicles and i do most of my own maintanance. i know my way around wrenches, and specialized tools and machines from the simple to the intricate.

with that journeyman's tool & die makers card came an education and expirience that gave me more than a little work ethic and at least a modicum of hustle.

could you tell me how long long it takes you to prep the frame? chasing threads, facing surfaces, checking alignment.

how about the time required to press in races? apply threadlocking adhesive and correctly torque and adjust things like the bottom bracket?

installing the headset races? checking squareness/parallism?

installing the crown race? squaring the shoulder?

routing cables and carefully setting the lengths of the sheath?

scribing, squaring and cutting the steerer tube?

bolting on the derailleurs and adjusting initial installation positions?

centering the bars in the stem and doing the initial rotation setting?

mounting the brake/shifter levers and adjusting their position?

taping the bars off?

getting the seatpost scribed, squared and trimmed?

mounting the seat and setting initial positions?

mounting the brakes and setting the initial adjustments?

bolting on the water bottle cages?

you say you built up a bicycle in under 2 hours? i'm not made at you for being faster than i ever could hope to be. i applaud your skill level and speed.

bobbyOCR said:
You are wise beyond your years. I have been working on bikes for over thirty years and have been in bike shops regularly all these years as well. I have become friends with some awesome mechanics who build bikes all day-for YEARS. I have never seen a high end build even close to two hours and some of these guys are fast. All the little things you mention are essential to a quality build. From what I have seen when someone works on bikes for a long time they tend to ADD things to the build....Two hours, start to finish? On a 6K bike? That is about 1/4 of what I need at least. I may be slow but nothing mechanical like building a bike should be rushed. I bet Luca is very excited about the recent surge in his Roi bike sales here in the U.S! He is a very nice man and deserves to have someone helping him grow his sales here. I hope that in all the insanity of this thread that the Roi name isn't harmed or lost. They are good people who have a very cool line of bikes. No, I don't have any for sale nor was I paid for this apperance.:D

CAMPYBOB said:
actually, i don't know that i've ever built i framest up into a bicycle in less than 4 or 5 hours.

i've been at it since 1972, so i really don't think i'm 'slow' by any sretch of the imagination.

in addition to the many bicycles i've built up and collected over the decades, i own farm tractors, garden tractors, motorcycles, select-fire machineguns, various road vehicles and i do most of my own maintanance. i know my way around wrenches, and specialized tools and machines from the simple to the intricate.

with that journeyman's tool & die makers card came an education and expirience that gave me more than a little work ethic and at least a modicum of hustle.

could you tell me how long long it takes you to prep the frame? chasing threads, facing surfaces, checking alignment.

how about the time required to press in races? apply threadlocking adhesive and correctly torque and adjust things like the bottom bracket?

taping the bars off?

you say you built up a bicycle in under 2 hours? i'm not made at you for being faster than i ever could hope to be. i applaud your skill level and speed.
Perhaps you are getting bogged down with all those "details". It's only a bike. Plus two hours IS 120 minutes. He is probably just working "smart", not hard. Heck, he finds it relaxing to do all that in under two hours.:rolleyes:

CampyBob thanks for the reply. I used to work for a really busy bike shop in Florida when I was doing my Undergrad Work. The Shop Owner was a nice guy, but a taskmaster when it came to building. I always felt rushed. What I learned to do is segment the build. If the frame cooperated I could get it done from scratch in about 3 hours including tapping the BB [if needed] and making minor adjustments to the areas you mentioned. I almost felt [and still feel like] a Surgeon when I'm on task. It's a literal rush for me to put a bike together and then to be able to take it for a test spin. It sounds like you too have been at this a while too, so I think you know what I mean. Maybe when I retire I will open a repair shop to keep me occupied. I really like the thought of that. :)

CAMPYBOB said:

taping the bars off?

carbonguru said:
CampyBob thanks for the reply. I used to work for a really busy bike shop in Florida when I was doing my Undergrad Work. The Shop Owner was a nice guy, but a taskmaster when it came to building. I always felt rushed. What I learned to do is segment the build. If the frame cooperated I could get it done from scratch in about 3 hours including tapping the BB [if needed] and making minor adjustments to the areas you mentioned. I almost felt [and still feel like] a Surgeon when I'm on task. It's a literal rush for me to put a bike together and then to be able to take it for a test spin. It sounds like you too have been at this a while too, so I think you know what I mean. Maybe when I retire I will open a repair shop to keep me occupied. I really like the thought of that. :)
I probably should not ask you this but, could you please post a few pictures of these Roi bikes as you build them? For real now George, not those little stock pics, some good shots, perhaps outside, or several together. Any chance you could get in the shot? As you know a lot of people are following this thread and I suspect many fans are trying to imagine what you look like!

Sorry, I guess I should have stayed away but I couldn't resist. I blame it on a bad cold that leaves me to much time in front of the computer
smile.gif
. Regarding the pics I took a look at the exif data.
The four first pics of the frames are according to the exif data shot at 01-11-2006 using a Canon Powershot SD500. The black built up bike is shot by the same camera at 09-03-2006. The red one at 14-02-2006 using a Nikon ES5700.

I'm sorry if I have misinterpreted the posts but I was under the impression that the photos were supposed to be new and showing the bikes that carbonguru had just built up? And I also thought that carbonguru used an HP camera?

/J

mrklein said:
As you know a lot of people are following this thread and I suspect many fans are trying to imagine what you look like!
I have a pic of him right here:

jstock said:
The four first pics of the frames are according to the exif data shot at 01-11-2006 using a Canon Powershot SD500. The black built up bike is shot by the same camera at 09-03-2006. The red one at 14-02-2006 using a Nikon ES5700.

Drat! Foiled again.

I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddlesome kids and your dog.

mrklein said:
Perhaps you are getting bogged down with all those "details". It's only a bike. Plus two hours IS 120 minutes. He is probably just working "smart", not hard. Heck, he finds it relaxing to do all that in under two hours.:rolleyes:
You're probably right! i'm over-thinking things here...

The last track bike i bolted together (a steel Gardin brand from Canada) took me longer than 2 hours. reaming the seat-tube, reaming/squaring the head tube and chasing/squaring the b-b probably ate up more than 1/2-hour.

Perhaps I need to stop taking time to lubricate threads/cups or apply Loctite or blowing chips out of tubes or...?

Hmmm? should i ditch the Campy hand tools and start using power tools to speed things up?

Maybe it was the darned track nuts on the axles that slowed me down! I swear fellas...a 15mm wrench is ALWAYS in my back pocket!

Ahhhh! I'll just come out and admit it; I suck...my bike budget for 2007 is only $67,384.06.

carbonguru said:
I have some e-mails in at Campy that I'm waiting on for technical clarification. When I get my BB Area put back together I will take a good picture for you. I may even stick an extra 2007 Chorus Crankset that my Buddy has at his house so I can at least ride it. I'll keep you posted.
Translation: I may have a sucker..I mean customer..getting ready to break loose with the cash I need to buy one of these things..and he may buy a chorus build.

George, how on earth do you break so many parts? If I had the energy to spend on this, it would be fun to put together a list of all the parts and frames you've broken and/or snapped in half. I've never heard of anyone so destructive. Even avid mountain bikers don't break all the stuff you do.

jstock said:
We should stop beating around the bush and just call carbonguru for what he is: A lying sack of ****.

I want to hear his excuse for this one.

jstock said:
Sorry, I guess I should have stayed away but I couldn't resist. I blame it on a bad cold that leaves me to much time in front of the computer
smile.gif
. Regarding the pics I took a look at the exif data.

I'm sorry if I have misinterpreted the posts but I was under the impression that the photos were supposed to be new and showing the bikes that carbonguru had just built up? And I also thought that carbonguru used an HP camera?

/J

Aha! Objective data. Good detective work!!

Bro Deal said:
I want to hear his excuse for this one.
well, his budget for digital cameras is $61,943.05 per month so he has to buy at least 25 per day.

besides, if you count the cameras his racing team bought and the cameras his club bought, he gets a 10% discount.

add to it all the cameras he breaks and you will come up with a rough estimate of the number of cameras he owns.

i figure...we multiply the number of bikes he owns by a factor of six. to be safe, we double that figure. since his job change and his sex change adds to the types and styles of cameras needed, we go an order of magnitude higher still. allow for ebay-use-only cameras, cameras his father bought him and cameras at the firm that are used strictly for taking pictures of evidence (and frames costing more than $2500)...well, let's just say carbonguru has a whole bunch of cameras...and they're all set to different dates.

yeah...that's the ticket!

and the clock on his vcr still flashes too!

CAMPYBOB said:
well, his budget for digital cameras is $61,943.05 per month so he has to buy at least 25 per day.

besides, if you count the cameras his racing team bought and the cameras his club bought, he gets a 10% discount.

add to it all the cameras he breaks and you will come up with a rough estimate of the number of cameras he owns.

i figure...we multiply the number of bikes he owns by a factor of six. to be safe, we double that figure. since his job change and his sex change adds to the types and styles of cameras needed, we go an order of magnitude higher still. allow for ebay-use-only cameras, cameras his father bought him and cameras at the firm that are used strictly for taking pictures of evidence (and frames costing more than $2500)...well, let's just say carbonguru has a whole bunch of cameras...and they're all set to different dates.

yeah...that's the ticket!

and the clock on his vcr still flashes too!
this is quite hilarious. Campybob, I admire your frame building experience, but the LBS workshop we have is not nearly as well equipped. They still have not ordered the complete set of Park tools for reaming, facing, threading etc.

To Carbonguru, the details are what make a bike great. They also make a bike good. Without them you just have a bike. If you rush, you have a sub-standard dangerous bike. I don't care how fast you work. If a build took you less than 2 hours, you are missing alot of things. Going from the closed boxes to finished bike should take a least 5 hours. My BMC build took me 8, I wanted it perfect. I would laugh if I saw your friends when they had to change their position (seeing as you didn't include that detail). When they go to change seatpost height, fore-aft, stem rise, handlebar angle etc. the bolts would strip. Then they would be left there, fuming at you for not including that 'detail', after overcharging them for a sub-standard build. Change your avatar to the sleazy watch salesman. (funny pic btw)

Also I appreciate ROI, their bikes and ideas are great. I just don't like their sales rep.

Bobby I lay everything out 1st before I build. It's all on my bench in groups. I know what I need. Adjustments are handled by my buddies. They take the bike home and adjust the saddle and seatpost height. Takes 2 minutes since they have their measurements. No biggie. The builds are super sound. I haven't crashed on any of my personal bikes after I built them. I don't miss anything that is 100% neccessary for the build. I get it all on the bike. No worries. Thanks. :)

bobbyOCR said:
this is quite hilarious. Campybob, I admire your frame building experience, but the LBS workshop we have is not nearly as well equipped. They still have not ordered the complete set of Park tools for reaming, facing, threading etc.

To Carbonguru, the details are what make a bike great. They also make a bike good. Without them you just have a bike. If you rush, you have a sub-standard dangerous bike. I don't care how fast you work. If a build took you less than 2 hours, you are missing alot of things. Going from the closed boxes to finished bike should take a least 5 hours. My BMC build took me 8, I wanted it perfect. I would laugh if I saw your friends when they had to change their position (seeing as you didn't include that detail). When they go to change seatpost height, fore-aft, stem rise, handlebar angle etc. the bolts would strip. Then they would be left there, fuming at you for not including that 'detail', after overcharging them for a sub-standard build. Change your avatar to the sleazy watch salesman. (funny pic btw)

Also I appreciate ROI, their bikes and ideas are great. I just don't like their sales rep.

Same damn people beating this thread to death. How pathetic can you all be? It's ridiculous! :mad:

carbonguru said:
Bobby I lay everything out 1st before I build. It's all on my bench in groups. I know what I need. Adjustments are handled by my buddies. They take the bike home and adjust the saddle and seatpost height. Takes 2 minutes since they have their measurements. No biggie. The builds are super sound. I haven't crashed on any of my personal bikes after I built them. I don't miss anything that is 100% neccessary for the build. I get it all on the bike. No worries. Thanks. :)