2007 Roi Monster Frameset Arrived

thanks, bobby.

i bought most of my campy tools piece-by-piece. nashbar used to sell them and i was racing with a guy that raced out of nashbar. i still have the mini-campy tool set that came with my custom order p-13-0 paramount in 1974.

i have a set of dropout alignment tools that probably will be obsolete in the near future. those carbon dropouts are either right or they're on a junk frame...crooked forever.

i used to import Gardin frames/bicycles, but unlike the rich and famous the most i ever sold in a year was three or four. i also used to build bikes for a few of the guys on the team and some friends. again, i doubt it amounted to more than three or four bikes a year.

if any of you toronto-missisauga area riders ever see joe gardin or jamie, please tell them that bob from ohio says "hello".

general762 said:
Same damn people beating this thread to death. How pathetic can you all be? It's ridiculous! :mad:
Oh, look. It's the return of General Lee. Save your Confederate money 'cause the South's gonna rise again. You know the day is dark when you have to invent supporters for your cause.

How about giving us an explanation for the dates embedded in your image files, General. I also would not mind an explanation for your average speed during Lotoja.

Bro Deal said:
Oh, look. It's the return of General Lee. Save your Confederate money 'cause the South's gonna rise again. You know the day is dark when you have to invent supporters for your cause.

How about giving us an explanation for the dates embedded in your image files, General. I also would not mind an explanation for your average speed during Lotoja.
Their average speed was for a relay team, as mentioned before. Not one of them completed the whole course (from what has been said and what is on the website)

CGuru, when someone pays you $75 US to build a bike for them, it should include you fitting them to it/setting it for their requirements. We recently had a Trek Madone Project One (I think, or an SL, someone else got the project one frame...prepare for short rant.....they ordered a frame to replace their cheaper bike because of some salesperson manoeuvring. They ordered the Madone SL (or SSL or whatever its called, I hate Treks) in team disco colours but Trek didn't have any in that size so they upgraded him to the SSLX. now my old boss is fuming because he only got an SL.)

OK, rant over, back to topic. Anyway, that is a $6,000AUD+ (depending on model) bike over here. When we got the frame, it took from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM to get it built. Then the owner came in and another hour was spent fitting him onto it/fine tuning. The point is, you don't seem like a 'people' mechanic, you are more a money mechanic. Get the job done as quickly as possible and charge as much as possible. I won't reduce myself to petty insults like 'you're gay' because then I am just as bad as you. I do hope you realise that you have presented yourself in an arrogant manner which is somewhat irritating, also you are excellent at avoiding questions.

Campybob. When I worked at the LBS the most dropout aligning was done on dirt-jump bikes and downhill rigs. Very few road bikes. There was a butane torch there for steel bikes but that was seldom used. It was quite funny seeing a Dura-Ace logo tool, on a $500 bike.

bobby, steel frame drop-out are cold-set.

no heat involved.

i've received bikes that were built out of alignment, including italian 'names'. i've also looked at new, unbuilt frames that were damaged in shipping.

for the time it takes, it is never a problem to just have a look-see.

regards,
campybob

I realise they are stamped, but the torch was for something to do with steel frames. I asked and I got the answer 'dropouts'. Beauiful lugged steel frames very rarely came through. I never got to see the torch in action.

bobbyOCR said:
I realise they are stamped, but the torch was for something to do with steel frames. I asked and I got the answer 'dropouts'. Beauiful lugged steel frames very rarely came through. I never got to see the torch in action.

What they meant by 'dropouts" was probably that the torch was for repair/replacement of cracked/broken dropouts. Back in the steel frame days, many top shops had a guy who could do frame repairs such as dropout repair/replacement, braze-on replacement, brake bridge re- brazing, etc...

John M said:
What they meant by 'dropouts" was probably that the torch was for repair/replacement of cracked/broken dropouts. Back in the steel frame days, many top shops had a guy who could do frame repairs such as dropout repair/replacement, braze-on replacement, brake bridge re- brazing, etc...
I'd say you are right, thanks. A blowtorch which is never used always creates a certain level of curiosity.

Has carbonguru run away?

Phill P said:
I hope not I was going to try and sell him some ceramic bearings for his new campy setup......
He's also testing SRAM for his team (previous post) I am sure he already would have invested in ceramic bearings. Yours maybe, he might have stolen them. He is very sneaky.

The little black balls maybe easy to loose (don't drop them on the carpet!) but I don't think I've had any stollen.

I have had customers "stollen" though! One of my first customers (from Victoria even) after trying my product went and got his own source and has been nabbing the odd customer from me ever since (the fact he is struggling to keep his sales up to mine is no consellation). After talking at length to a guy in the states, the customer then accidently bought from my opposition! He then later came back to me and I'm expecting another purchase from him in the future!

carbonguru said:
CampyBob thanks for the reply. I used to work for a really busy bike shop in Florida when I was doing my Undergrad Work. The Shop Owner was a nice guy, but a taskmaster when it came to building. I always felt rushed. What I learned to do is segment the build. If the frame cooperated I could get it done from scratch in about 3 hours including tapping the BB [if needed] and making minor adjustments to the areas you mentioned. I almost felt [and still feel like] a Surgeon when I'm on task. It's a literal rush for me to put a bike together and then to be able to take it for a test spin. It sounds like you too have been at this a while too, so I think you know what I mean. Maybe when I retire I will open a repair shop to keep me occupied. I really like the thought of that. :)
You have to work before you can retire

bobbyOCR said:
Their average speed was for a relay team, as mentioned before. Not one of them completed the whole course (from what has been said and what is on the website)
I am not sure we ever established that. Carbonweasel has said his "group" averaged 22.3 and in another post said he got his time by sitting in a fast "group" and drafting. I don't recall he ever said he was part of a relay team, and he used averaging 22.3 mpg for 204 miles as a way of downplaying his speed on an 80 mile training ride, implying that he did the whole 204.

The results show that only a relay team of five was as fast as 22.3 mph, but that does not mean he was not bullshitting us once again. I already looked up four out of the five riders and found none appear to be attorneys or lived where carbon says he does.

One possibility would be he made several stops at the races feed and support zones and he was using a cyclometer with auto-stop, so his real average was less than what showed on his computer.

Then there is the, perhaps even more likely, possibility that he is outright lying about Lotoja altogether.

And the deception continues.... carbonguru posted a photo in this thread:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=290221

Guess who has this same frame and (very same photo) for sale on ebay? Well, Zefiro-USA of course! You know, the same Zefiro-USA that carbonliar says he has nothing to do with. It's ebay item 260053073128. Scroll down...picture look familiar?

100miles said:
And the deception continues.... carbonguru posted a photo in this thread:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=290221

Guess who has this same frame and (very same photo) for sale on ebay? Well, Zefiro-USA of course! You know, the same Zefiro-USA that carbonliar says he has nothing to do with. It's ebay item 260053073128. Scroll down...picture look familiar?
I already smelt a rat in that one.

This is an old thread when I was searching for info on ROI bikes. I read the whole worthless thing and couldn't care less about who is who. Bikes are bikes and who cares if some distributor is here to hawk his mdse.

However, the building bikes crappola is making me sick. If a pro mechanic spent 3-8 hours on every bike nobody would ever get to race and believe me you guys on here ain't pro mechanics. Rushed it takes about an hour for a strip down, replace parts, wash and rebuild.

Remember, we are talking about sealed bottom brackets, sealed headsets, sealed pre-built wheel sets, sealed pedals and mostly dual pivot brakesets easily adjustable. To try to say it takes hours to run some cables, put a seat on a post and stick it in a frame, clamp some bars and install some levers is ridiculous. Unless, your a snail or trying to learn OJT.

I guarantee you nobody does anymore than me in assembly with anti seize compound, teflon tape, greased bolts, scuffed carbon, protective mylar stickers and an occasional bling job on nuts/bolts in your favorite color. My bikes are gorgeous (no pics, sorry I only build them to sell them) and if I'm half asleep, need a Monster or coffee, I still can't see more than 2-3 hours work.

Fitting a bike to a rider .. whole nudder story. Test rides, loosen this, adjust that, that can take forever. But assembly, give me a break. The damn bike is half assembled for you. If it took you that long to assembly a bike in the 80's I'd have to fire you in my old shop, we'd never make any money.

Most of this thread is poppycock. ROI bikes...pretty cool but still not enough objective info on the net so fork over $$$$ for fancy stickers and paint. Compared to Cervelo and other brands, why bother? This looks like a unique frameset/bike...nice Italian flare but need to see more out there on it.

How about some real numbers on weights/stiffness numbers/etc.? Distributor if your listening...please get some info on your site to get some sales!

/\ ha.

I dunno about you but I enjoy taking my time fixing my bike. It ends up perfect, instead of rushed. Savour a build, don't rush. I enjoy my bike more if I take my time. We aren't pro mechanics, and that may be why we don't all rush a build as quickly as possible.

And coloured bolts look like **** on many bikes. Gaudy isn't gorgeous. Blacks and whites are clean and elegant. You don't judge if your bikes are gorgeous, others do, and without pics, they could be 12" girls bikes with fancy streamers and a colour-matched basket.

bobbyOCR said:
/\ ha.

I dunno about you but I enjoy taking my time fixing my bike. It ends up perfect, instead of rushed. Savour a build, don't rush. I enjoy my bike more if I take my time. We aren't pro mechanics, and that may be why we don't all rush a build as quickly as possible.

And coloured bolts look like **** on many bikes. Gaudy isn't gorgeous. Blacks and whites are clean and elegant. You don't judge if your bikes are gorgeous, others do, and without pics, they could be 12" girls bikes with fancy streamers and a colour-matched basket.

+3. If a guy rushes through a bike build, then his beer is bound to get warm.

bobbyOCR..."You don't judge if your bikes are gorgeous, others do, and without pics, they could be 12" girls bikes with fancy streamers and a colour-matched basket."

Funny Bobby, I don't remember building a bike for you? How do you like your streamers? :rolleyes:

Anyway, more on...or moron...not sure which. Who said I didn't paint some bolts black? That's a color, right? So is metallic silver which is what most are anyway...that's a color, right?

My reply to you is...uhhh, what? :confused:

I think Alienator is right. Your beer is warm, just make sure that warm, yellow liquid is beer your drinking. :p

The comment was made about the "necessity" to take hours on end to build a bike which is still...ridiculous. Again, I think the original poster was building bikes to ship to somewhere so the 'fitting' process is minimal since it had to be boxed or whatever. That takes time but just tightening some bolts and slapping in some wheels with "slow" releases seems to be what you are referring to. :D

Others deciding what's gorgeous? Look, I don't comment on other guy's wives and this is just the same. If "I" think my bikes (and who cares anyway) are great then it is, it is not up to YOU. :(

If you want to take all day, days, to build a bicycle that's practically built for you then fine. Do it, just dont' say it's necessary. It's not. A "perfect" build doesn't exist, even when you use extremely (especially when you use) expensive parts. They are delicate, just to save weight and look good and sometimes the nuts/bolts need to be replaced even before installing them, so they remain useable.

Some pics, huh. Let's see here's 4 bikes out of probably 50 over the years in my gallery.

Here's a link to where I worked. We only made just junk there and everything was gawdy. :rolleyes: So you might not like the lame builds out of this shop. I mean if we could only take weeks to build every bike then we might still be...nope we'd have been out of business.

I don't take credit for the work shown in these links but this is who I learned from and to say I learned from the one of the best is an understatement.

Bike Gallery
Pro teams

So far I'm not a big fan of custom paint, even though I've built some up. New bikes, it will blow your warranty and most times you're afraid to ride it and get it scratched. My next build will be this:

Ebay Auction

It's an ebay ad that I'm sure will disappear eventually. Yes, I bartered for boobs and at that price who wouldn't. If the pics aren't there I'll put them in my gallery too.

There's some gallery pics of my 13 y.o.'s first bike. What a piece of **** that is, right? How gawdy matching shoes, stem, frame, tape, seat, helmet, tires, wheels, bolts, crank. Even machining & fabricating to get Campy Ergo levers to work flawlessly with Shimano Ultegra (cheaper and better shifting...levers are ehh, ugly) in a hidden J-tek adaptor. I think I need some streamers. :D

BMC is gorgeous.

Airborne and Lightspeed, reasonable.

Your son's bike, I need to squint to avoid temporary blindness, but from what I can tell, that is now one of 4 gaudy bikes that look good. Well done.

Remember rule number one of internet agruing. If you get wound up you are losing. You can be winning 'the argument' but if you are getting hung up on it, its no fun.

Black, grey, white, chrome and anything that doesn't reflect a colour isn't a colour.

Taking your time can be good, but when it isn't a personal project, especially for business, time is money. Now, back to the slightly pointless bickering, more on.