2007 Ronde van Vlaanderen

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by ceri1111, Mar 13, 2007.

1. ceri1111

ceri1111 New Member

Hi, as a birthday present my girlfriend is taking me out to Belgium for this years tour of flanders and was wondering if anyone had been before and had any tips for watching it live? We're staying in Brussels until the sunday of the race and we have a car, so I thought it may be good to go to the start area, then get in one or two stops along the route before going to the Muur van Geraardsbergen. Has anyone else been and have any advice or tips?

Thanks for any help
    Ceri.

Tags:

2. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Stay in the hotel with your girlfriend.... it wil be cold, wet and windy..... the race is best seen on TV....

3. lischoux

lischoux New Member

I was at the Muur in 2005... Holy Moly !!!! There is NOTHING else in the world like it. We got there (3 guys and my mom who was mesmerized by the entire hooplah) about 3 hours before the riders passed... We saw the women pass the hill and were able to dial in our cameras... About 45 minutes before the first riders got there the hill was packed...nobody could get in or out.

Then about 5 minutes before the riders the helicopters started to hover overhead...

About 2 minutes before the first riders (Boonen, Van Peteghem and 2 others) were on the Muur... the entire crowd of drunken Belgians (and others) became dead-quiet. It was eerie. The only sound was actually the copter above... Then as the riders came up the hill (the tension was unbelieveable) you could hear a hushing sound rolling up... as it got louder you could hear that the hush was in fact chees from the crowd... and then suddenly it erupted in a screming yelling cheering thunder... and then a couple of support motorcycles and a couple of camera motorcycles rolled by and the first group. WOW! It was over in a flash but it was AWESOME.

The other riders came by and the crowd was cheering their lungs out... Since it was the last year Armstrong was riding (and he was not in the lead group...actually nowhere near it) he aroused the next big cheer...

The guys who were off the back were encouraged as well...

When the last riders were gone and the last support motos passed (no cars on the Muurs - they take alternate routes) the crowd dispersed to nearby tents to have more beer of some fried food... to watch the end of the race (about 15 minutes after Geraaldbergen) and with Boonen winning everyone cheered some more.

The entire action was maybe 10 minutes but it was worth waiting the 3 hours.

Here's a few tips: Take some food as the fried stuff is (besides being fattening) rather expensive.

Come early to the Muur. I would suggest to do the Start and then head for G-bergen right away otherwise you will stand in 4th or 5th line and not capable of seing much.

Make a choice: Either take pics or watch... it's hard to do both. (I got a nice shot of Lance's feet, of Hincapie's back and of Van Peteghem's ass :D )

All in all well worth driving 4 hours, waiting 3 hours and driving back 4 hours.

have fun... BTW... I might be there as well this year. :)

4. JRMDC

JRMDC New Member

Thanks for all the details!

How is train service on that day? Does it take hours and hours to get on for a return to Brussels? Do they run extra trains?

I did a visit to Geraardsbergen last year, not on the race day, and had a great time. Got there by train out of Brussels Central.