2007 Specialized Rockhopper vs 2006 Specialized Rockhopper

Oz

Guest
Howdy,

I'm new to this group and thought I would refer to experts in the mountain
biking realm.

I bought my son a 2006 Specialized Rockhopper yesterday (the basic model).
I rode it a bit last evening on some local dirt roads and a couple of
trails. I am used to riding a road bike and wanted to see what the mountain
bike felt like. I LIKE IT! I am considering buying a 2007 Specialized
Rockhopper because my LBS sold the last 2006 to me for my son. What I need
to know is how the two compare. Here is a breakdown of the componentry.

The 2006 has the following:
an SRAM 3.0 front derailleur
an SRAM SX-5 rear derailleur
SRAM SX-4 shifters
Tektro RS-360 brake levers

The 2007 has the following:
a Shimano Acera M-330 front derailleur
a Shimano Alivio M-410 rear derailleur
Shimano EF-50 shifters
Shimano EF-50 integrated brake levers

I know road bikes and road bike components but I do not know mountain bikes
or mountain bike components. I realize that these are NOT the top of the
line components and I am fine with that, for now. Please give me a hand and
tell me how the two compare. I am not looking for anything fancy but I am
interested in breaking into off-road biking and having some fun with that
aspect of biking.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Oz

On May 19, 12:32 pm, "Oz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm new to this group and thought I would refer to experts in the mountain
> biking realm.
>
> I bought my son a 2006 Specialized Rockhopper yesterday (the basic model).
> I rode it a bit last evening on some local dirt roads and a couple of
> trails. I am used to riding a road bike and wanted to see what the mountain
> bike felt like. I LIKE IT! I am considering buying a 2007 Specialized
> Rockhopper because my LBS sold the last 2006 to me for my son. What I need
> to know is how the two compare. Here is a breakdown of the componentry.
>
> The 2006 has the following:
> an SRAM 3.0 front derailleur
> an SRAM SX-5 rear derailleur
> SRAM SX-4 shifters
> Tektro RS-360 brake levers
>
> The 2007 has the following:
> a Shimano Acera M-330 front derailleur
> a Shimano Alivio M-410 rear derailleur
> Shimano EF-50 shifters
> Shimano EF-50 integrated brake levers
>
> I know road bikes and road bike components but I do not know mountain bikes
> or mountain bike components. I realize that these are NOT the top of the
> line components and I am fine with that, for now. Please give me a hand and
> tell me how the two compare. I am not looking for anything fancy but I am
> interested in breaking into off-road biking and having some fun with that
> aspect of biking.
>
> Thanks for all of your help and advice.
>
> Oz

I like the 2006 better, because I think the level of SRAM stuff on it
is better than that Acera and Alivio ****. Tektro levers are ok.
Rockhoppers are my favorite generic starter bike. Welcome to the
dirt.

CDB

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I like the 2006 better, because I think the level of SRAM stuff on it
> is better than that Acera and Alivio ****. Tektro levers are ok.
> Rockhoppers are my favorite generic starter bike. Welcome to the
> dirt.
>
> CDB

Thank you for the info, seriously. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice in
the matter - re: the 2007 bike. The bike shop is plain out of 2006 models.
I'm thinking component upgrades.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am most definitely looking forward to
off-road experiences vs road biking. Don't get me wrong. I like road
biking but the doggone traffic is uncomfortable, to say the least. I have
already had at least two boats being pulled by trucks miss my noggin by mere
inches. I don't think I'm going to have the same trouble on trails in the
area.

Oz

Oz wrote:
> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I like the 2006 better, because I think the level of SRAM stuff on it
>> is better than that Acera and Alivio ****. Tektro levers are ok.
>> Rockhoppers are my favorite generic starter bike. Welcome to the
>> dirt.
>>
>> CDB

> Thank you for the info, seriously. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice in
> the matter - re: the 2007 bike. The bike shop is plain out of 2006 models.
> I'm thinking component upgrades.
>
> Thank you for the warm welcome. I am most definitely looking forward to
> off-road experiences vs road biking. Don't get me wrong. I like road
> biking but the doggone traffic is uncomfortable, to say the least. I have
> already had at least two boats being pulled by trucks miss my noggin by mere
> inches. I don't think I'm going to have the same trouble on trails in the
> area.
>
> Oz

Doesn't the 2007 model come with an M4 frame though? If so it's the same
material the old top of the line stumpys were made out of, very good
bike with loads of room to upgrade!

On May 19, 3:42 pm, "Oz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > I like the 2006 better, because I think the level of SRAM stuff on it
> > is better than that Acera and Alivio ****. Tektro levers are ok.
> > Rockhoppers are my favorite generic starter bike. Welcome to the
> > dirt.

> > CDB

> Thank you for the info, seriously. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice in
> the matter - re: the 2007 bike. The bike shop is plain out of 2006 models.
> I'm thinking component upgrades.
>
> Thank you for the warm welcome. I am most definitely looking forward to
> off-road experiences vs road biking. Don't get me wrong. I like road
> biking but the doggone traffic is uncomfortable, to say the least. I have
> already had at least two boats being pulled by trucks miss my noggin by mere
> inches. I don't think I'm going to have the same trouble on trails in the
> area.
>
> Oz

Road riding is scary. I bike commute when I can, and road ride for
fitness when the trails are wet. But I'm a lot more comfortable &
safer on dirt. If I crash, it's my fault. Not some idiot on a cell-
phone or reaching back to slap a kid.

CDB

On May 19, 11:42 pm, Paladin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 19, 3:42 pm, "Oz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > I like the 2006 better, because I think the level of SRAM stuff on it
> > > is better than that Acera and Alivio ****. Tektro levers are ok.
> > > Rockhoppers are my favorite generic starter bike. Welcome to the
> > > dirt.

> > > CDB

> > Thank you for the info, seriously. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice in
> > the matter - re: the 2007 bike. The bike shop is plain out of 2006 models.
> > I'm thinking component upgrades.

> > Thank you for the warm welcome. I am most definitely looking forward to
> > off-road experiences vs road biking. Don't get me wrong. I like road
> > biking but the doggone traffic is uncomfortable, to say the least. I have
> > already had at least two boats being pulled by trucks miss my noggin by mere
> > inches. I don't think I'm going to have the same trouble on trails in the
> > area.

> > Oz

> Road riding is scary. I bike commute when I can, and road ride for
> fitness when the trails are wet. But I'm a lot more comfortable &
> safer on dirt. If I crash, it's my fault. Not some idiot on a cell-
> phone or reaching back to slap a kid.
>
> CDB- Hide quoted text -

Scary isn't the word. Ever hit deep sand left over from a New England
winter. Thats what made me get rid of the road bike. I do commute on a
mountain bike in every kind of weather. As for the Rockhopper I have a
2003 that I got for free due to a snapped derailleur hanger. I needed
a derailleur to go along with the Alivio shifters so I pulled a
Shimano XT out of my bag of tricks. I do like Sram much better.

On May 19, 12:32 pm, "Oz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm new to this group and thought I would refer to experts in the mountain
> biking realm.
>
> I bought my son a 2006 Specialized Rockhopper yesterday (the basic model).
> I rode it a bit last evening on some local dirt roads and a couple of
> trails. I am used to riding a road bike and wanted to see what the mountain
> bike felt like. I LIKE IT! I am considering buying a 2007 Specialized
> Rockhopper because my LBS sold the last 2006 to me for my son. What I need
> to know is how the two compare. Here is a breakdown of the componentry.

<snip>

I'll swim against the tide here, and say that the shimano components
(at this level) are better. The early season 06 Rh's had ~80% shifter
failures right out of the box. SRAM made things right by offering up
an X7 8sp upgrade. By mid season RH's were coming from Specialized
with replacement triggers in the box. By late season RH's were
shipping with a redesigned SX shifter, and a promise to replace any
that went bad.
The front der sucks as well, but it is hard to find a really good one
at that price point.

On May 19, 6:36 pm, Toasty <Toasty> wrote:
> Oz wrote:
> > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> I like the 2006 better, because I think the level of SRAM stuff on it
> >> is better than that Acera and Alivio ****. Tektro levers are ok.
> >> Rockhoppers are my favorite generic starter bike. Welcome to the
> >> dirt.

> >> CDB

> > Thank you for the info, seriously. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice in
> > the matter - re: the 2007 bike. The bike shop is plain out of 2006 models.
> > I'm thinking component upgrades.

> > Thank you for the warm welcome. I am most definitely looking forward to
> > off-road experiences vs road biking. Don't get me wrong. I like road
> > biking but the doggone traffic is uncomfortable, to say the least. I have
> > already had at least two boats being pulled by trucks miss my noggin by mere
> > inches. I don't think I'm going to have the same trouble on trails in the
> > area.

> > Oz

> Doesn't the 2007 model come with an M4 frame though? If so it's the same
> material the old top of the line stumpys were made out of, very good
> bike with loads of room to upgrade!

You don't get the M4 frame until you get to the top of the line. That
is to say, that the Rockhopper, Rockhopper Disc, and Rockhopper Comp
Disc all come with the "redesigned" A1 frame (with ORE) downtube.

> On May 19, 6:36 pm, Toasty <Toasty> wrote:
>> Oz wrote:
>>> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Thank you for the info, seriously. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice in
>>> the matter - re: the 2007 bike. The bike shop is plain out of 2006 models.
>>> I'm thinking component upgrades.
>>> Thank you for the warm welcome. I am most definitely looking forward to
>>> off-road experiences vs road biking. Don't get me wrong. I like road
>>> biking but the doggone traffic is uncomfortable, to say the least. I have
>>> already had at least two boats being pulled by trucks miss my noggin by mere
>>> inches. I don't think I'm going to have the same trouble on trails in the
>>> area.
>>> Oz

>> Doesn't the 2007 model come with an M4 frame though? If so it's the same
>> material the old top of the line stumpys were made out of, very good
>> bike with loads of room to upgrade!

> You don't get the M4 frame until you get to the top of the line. That
> is to say, that the Rockhopper, Rockhopper Disc, and Rockhopper Comp
> Disc all come with the "redesigned" A1 frame (with ORE) downtube.

Well not all of the frame, the mainframe is M4 on the entire range though:

New for 07 M4 manipulated alloy frame, butted ORE DT, disc only, forged
dropouts

Quoted from specialized.com on the Rockhopper (low end).

On May 21, 4:29 pm, Toasty <Toasty> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >> Doesn't the 2007 model come with an M4 frame though? If so it's the same
> >> material the old top of the line stumpys were made out of, very good
> >> bike with loads of room to upgrade!

> > You don't get the M4 frame until you get to the top of the line. That
> > is to say, that the Rockhopper, Rockhopper Disc, and Rockhopper Comp
> > Disc all come with the "redesigned" A1 frame (with ORE) downtube.

> Well not all of the frame, the mainframe is M4 on the entire range though:

Where the hell do they get ppl like you?

Not to coin a phrase ... BULL PHQUING SCHYT.

> New for 07 M4 manipulated alloy frame, butted ORE DT, disc only, forged
> dropouts
>
> Quoted from specialized.com on the Rockhopper (low end).

Give the link.

Ohhh yah the entry line Rockhopper is "DISC ONLY" ...that works. So
where do you mount the "V"brakes" on that model?

You come in here as a know nothing nub ... ask for advice. Then when
someone gives you real information you choose to "correct them."

LAME!

Look ... learn to read, under Technical Specifications: (or better yet
visit that LBS of yours)

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22177

Rockhopper:

A1 Premium Aluminum, double butted TT, ORE DT, externally relieved
head tube, reinforced disc mount, forged dropouts w/ replaceable
98954020 hanger

Rockhopper Disc: (Under Technical Specifications)

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22178

A1 Premium Aluminum, disc only, double butted TT and ORE DT,
externally relieved head tube, internally relieved BB shell,
reinforced disc mount, forged 3D dropouts w/ replaceable 98954020
hanger

Rockhopper Comp Disc. (Under Technical Specifications)

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22165

A1 Premium Aluminum, disc only, double butted TT and ORE DT,
externally relieved head tube, internally relieved BB shell,
reinforced disc mount, forged 3D dropouts w/ replaceable 98954020
hanger

Rockhopper Pro Disc (Under Technical Specifications)

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22174

New for 07 M4 manipulated alloy frame, butted ORE DT, disc only,
forged dropouts w/ replaceable 98954020 derailleur hanger.

Any idea why you would want an M4 frame over an A1 frame? .... Go
figure.

Now, for 2008 all of that changes. Even the entry line end RH gets the
M4 tube set, but those bikes won't be available until July. And there
are only a couple of places that "publish" info on the 08's.

Maybe you should give one of these a shot:

http://tinyurl.com/2q4dlw

And just for the record , I do not now, nor have I ever ridden for
Specialized.

That said, I heard that Mike Sinyard called me an asshole after I
headbutted Gary Waterfield (of VooDoo cycles) unconcious, at Otis
Guy's christmas party.

(Deep Breath) ... Someone hand me another IPA

On May 21, 8:21 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On May 21, 4:29 pm, Toasty <Toasty> wrote:
>

> > [email protected] wrote:

> > > You don't get the M4 frame until you get to the top of the line. That
> > > is to say, that the Rockhopper, Rockhopper Disc, and Rockhopper Comp
> > > Disc all come with the "redesigned" A1 frame (with ORE) downtube.

> > Well not all of the frame, the mainframe is M4 on the entire range though:

> Where the hell do they get ppl like you?
>
> Not to coin a phrase ... BULL PHQUING SCHYT.
>

> > New for 07 M4 manipulated alloy frame, butted ORE DT, disc only, forged
> > dropouts

> > Quoted from specialized.com on the Rockhopper (low end).

> Give the link.
>
> Ohhh yah the entry line Rockhopper is "DISC ONLY" ...that works. So
> where do you mount the "V"brakes" on that model?
>
> You come in here as a know nothing nub ... ask for advice. Then when
> someone gives you real information you choose to "correct them."

<snip>

Actually, you didn't ask for advice ... My appologies ... You posted a
quasi-question ...

> > Doesn't the 2007 model come with an M4 frame though?

I guess the short answer is No.

Unless you are outside the US. But then, of course the bike specs of
the OP wouldn't apply either.

Like the UK, where the RH is M4, but the bike is not spec'd with Acera
and Alivio, but with Deore, and LX.

"Oz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I like the 2006 better, because I think the level of SRAM stuff on it
>> is better than that Acera and Alivio ****. Tektro levers are ok.
>> Rockhoppers are my favorite generic starter bike. Welcome to the
>> dirt.
>>
>> CDB

> Thank you for the info, seriously. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice
> in the matter - re: the 2007 bike. The bike shop is plain out of 2006
> models. I'm thinking component upgrades.
>
> Thank you for the warm welcome. I am most definitely looking forward to
> off-road experiences vs road biking. Don't get me wrong. I like road
> biking but the doggone traffic is uncomfortable, to say the least. I have
> already had at least two boats being pulled by trucks miss my noggin by
> mere inches. I don't think I'm going to have the same trouble on trails
> in the area.
>
> Oz

If you know the geometry works for you, you might also consider the used
marketplace. Bikes lose value pretty quick, you're likely to be able to get
a 2-3 year old used version of the same bike for half price. Within a few
months you could upgrade any components that were substandard or worn.
There are lots of folks who buy these beasties and only ride them a few
times before locking them away in the garage.

FWIW, the drivetrain components that you cite are important, but not THE
most important components on a bike at that level. The brakes themselves
can make a difference between a controlled, safe ride and a white knuckle
dance with big trees. Also on the high priority list is the suspension
fork. A low end fork can give poor performance, and even be dangerous if it
is noodly and flexes on the turns.

Good luck
Gary (W)

"Mamba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Oz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> I like the 2006 better, because I think the level of SRAM stuff on it
>>> is better than that Acera and Alivio ****. Tektro levers are ok.
>>> Rockhoppers are my favorite generic starter bike. Welcome to the
>>> dirt.
>>>
>>> CDB

>> Thank you for the info, seriously. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice
>> in the matter - re: the 2007 bike. The bike shop is plain out of 2006
>> models. I'm thinking component upgrades.
>>
>> Thank you for the warm welcome. I am most definitely looking forward to
>> off-road experiences vs road biking. Don't get me wrong. I like road
>> biking but the doggone traffic is uncomfortable, to say the least. I
>> have already had at least two boats being pulled by trucks miss my noggin
>> by mere inches. I don't think I'm going to have the same trouble on
>> trails in the area.
>>
>> Oz

> If you know the geometry works for you, you might also consider the used
> marketplace. Bikes lose value pretty quick, you're likely to be able to
> get a 2-3 year old used version of the same bike for half price. Within a
> few months you could upgrade any components that were substandard or worn.
> There are lots of folks who buy these beasties and only ride them a few
> times before locking them away in the garage.
>
> FWIW, the drivetrain components that you cite are important, but not THE
> most important components on a bike at that level. The brakes themselves
> can make a difference between a controlled, safe ride and a white knuckle
> dance with big trees. Also on the high priority list is the suspension
> fork. A low end fork can give poor performance, and even be dangerous if
> it is noodly and flexes on the turns.
>
> Good luck
> Gary (W)

Gary,

Thank you for the thought provoking post. I ended up buying a 2006
Specialized Rockhopper for myself and a 2007 Trek 4500 for my son. The
Specialized, as stated in my original post, has SRAM components with a
RoxShocks Judy 3 shock. My son's 4500 has Shimano components with a
RoxShocks Judy 1 shock. I rode both bikes about ten miles each, on dirt
roads with moderate hills and plenty of loose stones, and saw little to no
difference between the two.

At our current level of expertise (beginners) I think the two bikes we
purchased will serve us well. The plus is in the fact that both have good
frames that are very upgradable (is that even a real word?). I'm just
looking to get into off-road biking right now and my LBS told me that both
of these bikes will fit the bill.

Oz

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On May 19, 3:42 pm, "Oz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>

> Road riding is scary. I bike commute when I can, and road ride for
> fitness when the trails are wet. But I'm a lot more comfortable &
> safer on dirt. If I crash, it's my fault. Not some idiot on a cell-
> phone or reaching back to slap a kid.
>
> CDB

True dat. My commute is only about 15 miles of surface streets in Portland
(OR), arguably one of the most bike-friendly towns in the US. There is
rarely a week that goes by where I don't have a close call caused by some
butthead pointing one of those 5000 lbs steel things around. And I'm one of
the few "weenie" bikers who actually wait out red lights and stop at stop
signs.

I gave up riding motorcycles after 15 years because I was the only one left
in my peer group who didn't have a bad crash in their history. The odds
just got too steep. Mountain biking was was repalcement adrenaline therapy
for me.

So head's up out there. Be very aware.

[email protected] wrote:
> On May 21, 8:21 pm, [email protected] wrote:

>>> Well not all of the frame, the mainframe is M4 on the entire range though:

>> Where the hell do they get ppl like you?
>>
>> Not to coin a phrase ... BULL PHQUING SCHYT.
>>

>>> New for 07 M4 manipulated alloy frame, butted ORE DT, disc only, forged
>>> dropouts
>>> Quoted from specialized.com on the Rockhopper (low end).

>> Give the link.
>>
>> Ohhh yah the entry line Rockhopper is "DISC ONLY" ...that works. So
>> where do you mount the "V"brakes" on that model?
>>
>> You come in here as a know nothing nub ... ask for advice. Then when
>> someone gives you real information you choose to "correct them."

> <snip>
>
> Actually, you didn't ask for advice ... My appologies ... You posted a
> quasi-question ...
>
>>> Doesn't the 2007 model come with an M4 frame though?

> I guess the short answer is No.
>
> Unless you are outside the US. But then, of course the bike specs of
> the OP wouldn't apply either.
>
> Like the UK, where the RH is M4, but the bike is not spec'd with Acera
> and Alivio, but with Deore, and LX.

It's called a 'rhetorical' question. See, you've learnt something today!
\o/ You find people like me in the UK, land of tea, fish and chips and
Rockhoppers with M4 frames.

Given the price of the M4 stumpy frames I'd happily take a component hit
for a decent frame.

On May 23, 1:45 pm, Toasty <Toasty> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On May 21, 8:21 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> >> On May 21, 4:29 pm, Toasty <Toasty> wrote:

<snip> blather <snip>

> It's called a 'rhetorical' question. See, you've learnt something today!
> \o/ You find people like me in the UK, land of tea, fish and chips and
> Rockhoppers with M4 frames.
>
> Given the price of the M4 stumpy frames I'd happily take a component hit
> for a decent frame.

Really ...just a bad pint of mead on my part ... that and it was
pretty clear to me that the op was not in the UK since he gave spec's
for a none UK RH.

I was also clear that you were looking at UK spec's.

As for it being rhetorical question; rhetorical questions are
generally used to assert or deny something where the answer is already
known. In this case it appears that you were asserting that all RH
frames are M4 frames. Your "rhetorical" statement was wrong in the
case of the op. So I posted a correction, and even included a bail out
for you since it was clear that you didn't care (or comprehend) that
the op was not in the UK.

Here's to hoping you learnt something today ...though I have my
doubts.

And as for finding ppl like you in the UK ... I am sure there are a
few, seems like there are a few everywhere.

Wishing that it was restricted to just the UK

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On May 23, 1:45 pm, Toasty <Toasty> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:

> <snip> blather <snip>
>

>> It's called a 'rhetorical' question. See, you've learnt something today!
>> \o/ You find people like me in the UK, land of tea, fish and chips and
>> Rockhoppers with M4 frames.
>>
>> Given the price of the M4 stumpy frames I'd happily take a component hit
>> for a decent frame.

> Really ...just a bad pint of mead on my part ... that and it was
> pretty clear to me that the op was not in the UK since he gave spec's
> for a none UK RH.

You are correct sir! Though I was born in the UK (to a US serviceman and
American wife) I have lived almost my entire life in Michigan.

Oz