2007: Still looking back in anger - Part 1

cyclingheroes

Sep 9, 2005

30.12.2007/ Last year we published our editorial about the past 12 months under the title :"Looking back in anger". So 2007 could only get better... In part one of our editorial review of the year the first 6 months of 2007. Tomorrow the second part of the year, an editorial comment and a look into 2008. We all know something has to be done...

http://www.cyclingheroes.info/id1048.html

Again..CH..when in the history of cycling could the UCI have declared a war on doping...and there not be any negative fallout? Please explain how they could have kept doping out of cycling and there not be any negative publicity.

Crankyfeet said:
Again..CH..when in the history of cycling could the UCI have declared a war on doping...and there not be any negative fallout? Please explain how they could have kept doping out of cycling and there not be any negative publicity.
Again: Watch the sequence in the Flying Scottsman (the movie) which is about how the UCI wants to get rid of Graem O'Bree. In a meeting at UCI headquarters a member of the board says they can't do anything because O'Bree is clean. The UCI wanted to get rid of him because O'Bree designed and build his bikes by himself. The problem was the UCI couldn't make money with him (bike industrie).

The UCI also used doping to harm ASO and co, they don't had a problem with the negative publicity. It wasn't just Prudhomme (see the Rasmussen thread) who said that, it was the main opinion in the media center during the last tour.

Edit: One could say the Flying Scottsman is just a movie. One could also say: the makers did their research...

cyclingheroes said:

30.12.2007/ Last year we published our editorial about the past 12 months under the title :"Looking back in anger". So 2007 could only get better... In part one of our editorial review of the year the first 6 months of 2007. Tomorrow the second part of the year, an editorial comment and a look into 2008. We all know something has to be done...

http://www.cyclingheroes.info/id1048.html
It seems like many races are closing down for good. Are there any new races in 2008 to replace the ones that are being closed?

cyclingheroes said:
Again: Watch the sequence in the Flying Scottsman (the movie) which is about how the UCI wants to get rid of Graem O'Bree. In a meeting at UCI headquarters a member of the board says they can't do anything because O'Bree is clean. The UCI wanted to get rid of him because O'Bree designed and build his bikes by himself. The problem was the UCI couldn't make money with him (bike industrie).

The UCI also used doping to harm ASO and co, they don't had a problem with the negative publicity. It wasn't just Prudhomme (see the Rasmussen thread) who said that, it was the main opinion in the media center during the last tour.

Edit: One could say the Flying Scottsman is just a movie. One could also say: the makers did their research...
So CH, you are saying that UCI is basically a money making operation with little or no interest in the sport itself. Do the boffins up there ever worry that if pro cycling goes away for good, their source of $$$ will dry up?

TheDarkLord said:
It seems like many races are closing down for good. Are there any new races in 2008 to replace the ones that are being closed?
In Germany none. There are some crits dissapearing and it looks like the Regio-Tour (Stage race, on their history winners list are riders like Ullrich, Vino, Klöden) will dissapear as well.

cyclingheroes said:
In Germany none. There are some crits dissapearing and it looks like the Regio-Tour (Stage race, on their history winners list are riders like Ullrich, Vino, Klöden) will dissapear as well.
Ouch! I still can't believe that Germany is willing to let pro cycling die in its soil.

TheDarkLord said:
So CH, you are saying that UCI is basically a money making operation with little or no interest in the sport itself. Do the boffins up there ever worry that if pro cycling goes away for good, their source of $$$ will dry up?
Yes they are worried now. They have created a monster and have a hard time to clean up the mess that they created themselves. Some at the UCI do really want to clean up. Some not.

Andrija said:
Thanks CH for the first sentence on July in Part 2.
Every one's going to read there is a Serbian cyclist somewhere there in the sport.
Ivan builded the bridge between part 1 and 2: he was also mentioned in the final sentence of part 1.

cyclingheroes said:
Ivan builded the bridge between part 1 and 2: he was also mentioned in the final sentence of part 1.
Yes, but more people will read part 2 and there he is - first thing in July... No Tour, no Vino, no Contadore but Ivan.
He was here last month, doing some training on same roads I use for my recreational rides... Good to know I can do what he can (clearly not in same tempo, bu who cares).

Andrija said:
......but Ivan.
He was here last month, doing some training on same roads I use for my recreational rides... Good to know I can do what he can (clearly not in same tempo, bu who cares).

...and minus the cows blood ?

Andrija said:
Yes, but more people will read part 2 and there he is - first thing in July... No Tour, no Vino, no Contadore but Ivan.
We will bring more about Ivan in the coming two months.

whiteboytrash said:
Ivan doesn't need cow blood. He always read your postings before a race, after that he has enough adrenaline to race without cow blood and win.:D

whiteboytrash said:
Off course... And minus all other pro equipment (bike, clothes...)
But just because of lack of money and good doctor;)
I would like to apply all modern cycling technologies in my recreation.

cyclingheroes said:
We will bring more about Ivan in the coming two months.
I don't know if he's planning to ride for some European team in future... America just isn't what his (and any other cyclist's) career needs (although, he's making money for living there). He could be good in semi-classics, classics and some smaller tours (probably just as a helper, but that would be step forward in his career).

I thought about being a UCI official,but it's just not worth having my testicles removed to be qualified.

jhuskey said:
I thought about being a UCI official,but it's just not worth having my testicles removed to be qualified.
Maybe you should reconsider. The price seems to be high but... you would become a candidate for my next avatar...:D

Happy New Year!