2008 Fuji Tahoe Comp 29er?

mangothehuman

Jun 10, 2010
Hi all!

I am considering buying a 2008 Fuji Tahoe Comp 29er. There is one for sale in town for $500 and it is in excellent condition.

Is this a good deal for this bike?

Just to give you a little background, I haven't done any mountain biking for quite a few years. Before college I used to go regularly, but during and since I have not at all. My thought is I will be using the bike to ride around town fairly regularly - mostly on the road. I would also like to take it down a few trails nearby as the greenbelts in Austin are awesome. Is a 29er right for me?

Thanks all!

FWIW. By my reckoning, a Medium 29er is equal to a Large 26" MTB, et cetera ...

The long and the short is that if you are shorter than 5'8" or the frame is a Large (to cite an example), then you need to look for another bike ...

If you are 5'9" and the frame is a Small, it may be perfect for you ...

If you are 6'0" and the frame is a Medium, it may be perfect for you ... OR, a Large may be better!?!

I think there is a compromise that you have to make based on whether most of the riding is going to be on paved surfaces or off-road.

What size frame is the particular 29er AND how tall are you?

Otherwise, I think a 29er is potentially a good all-around bike (particularly, if it has a rigid fork) because of the wide range of tires you can fit in the frame/fork.

BTW. For riding around town, you should plan on either 700x32/CX tires & tubes OR 700x42/Hybrid tires & tubes ... perhaps, even 700x28 tires/tubes. A second (!) set of wheels always expedites using different tire types/sizes on the same bike.

I am 5'7". I went and took a look at it yesterday and decided to buy it.

It is a medium, but i had some clearance, so I assumed I was good to go. The bike looks brand new and come to find out, it's actually the 2009 model! I'm really excited about it.