2008 Giant OCR A1

rosborn

Aug 26, 2004
Went to a bike shop near my office the other day and noticed that they have a 2008 Giant OCR A1 discounted to move. The current price is $1,100 and the bike retails for around $1,500. Here is the website and specs for the bike -

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/...88/?collections_id=3

The bike is an "Alliance" frame which mean that the top tube, seat post and seat stays are carbon while the head tube, down tube and chain stays are aluminum. The components on the bike are Shimano 105, wheels are Xero XSR-3.

I am interested to know if anyone else rides an OCR A1 and what your perception of the ride is like. Also, I am a tad concerned that the mating point between the carbon and the aluminum may cause problems in the future.

On the personal side - I rode the bike and it feels very comfortable and solid.

Rob

rosborn said:
I am interested to know if anyone else rides an OCR A1 and what your perception of the ride is like. Also, I am a tad concerned that the mating point between the carbon and the aluminum may cause problems in the future.
FWIW. GIANT has been mating alloy lugs with carbon fiber tubes for at least a decade ...

I know someone who has a GIANT CADEX (carbon fiber tubes w/ alloy lugs) which he bought used from another friend ... I'm just going to guess that the frame has 10,000+ miles on it, now, and will probably get another 1000+ miles this season.

So, while YOU/someone may have the unfortunate experience of a problem with the mixed-material joint, I doubt it will occur in your lifetime.

If you are in the market for a new bike, you like the GIANT OCR A1, and the one you test rode fit, then you just need to convince your "personal banker" (i.e., spouse) that you need it.

alfeng said:
FWIW. GIANT has been mating alloy lugs with carbon fiber tubes for at least a decade ...

I know someone who has a GIANT CADEX (carbon fiber tubes w/ alloy lugs) which he bought used from another friend ... I'm just going to guess that the frame has 10,000+ miles on it, now, and will probably get another 1000+ miles this season.

So, while YOU/someone may have the unfortunate experience of a problem with the mixed-material joint, I doubt it will occur in your lifetime.

If you are in the market for a new bike, you like the GIANT OCR A1, and the one you test rode fit, then you just need to convince your "personal banker" (i.e., spouse) that you need it.
Well, here is the "skinny" on the whole thing - I used to own a Specialized Tarmac. I sold it at the end of last summer because the geometry just didn't work for me. My intentions at the end of 2008/beginning of 2009 were to purchase a Specialized Roubaix. Finances being what they are . . . . I have had to modify my plans.

That being said, I know that Giant makes a great bike and that this bike will suite my needs fabulously. I was just wondering about the mating of different materials and if there should be any concerns. As I thought about it I realized (DUH!) that almost every other bike manufacurer out there makes aluminum bikes with either no carbon or carbon seat stays, etc., and that these bikes are purchased by numerous people each and every year - to the satisfaction of those consumers. So, it's all good.

I was just looking for personal experience from forum members.

Rob