2008 Giro samples retested for CERA

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
This could lead to some interesting findings.

2008 Giro Final General classification

1 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 89.56.49
2 Riccardo Riccò (Ita) Saunier Duval - Scott 1.57
3 Marzio Bruseghin (Ita) Lampre 2.54
4 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas 2.56
5 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 3.37
6 Emanuele Sella (Ita) CSF Group Navigare 4.31
7 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Silence - Lotto 6.30
8 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) LPR Brakes 7.15
9 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) CSF Group Navigare 7.53
10 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni-Androni Giocattoli 11.03

Italian police in possession of samples

Samples from the 2008 Giro d'Italia were due to be retested for the blood booster CERA after the subsequent high-profile doping positives of several top riders who participated in the event. Yet there has been no news on the retests since the Italian police seized the urine samples this May. Now the UCI has indicated that if those authorities don’t retest the samples, it will try to do so.

Contador came off his holiday, struggled a bit during the first week but ended up winning. A sign of greatness or the helping hand of CERA? It would be interesting to know. He of course was not in the ToF that year so missed out on the scandals.

It's amazing that these samples haven't been retested yet given what happened in the ToF. It might not even happen to all the riders - just those that later tested positive - which would be ****.

Alpuerto and Pellizotti will not be sleeping well. Ricco's re-tests may also break the machine, given how he was dropping Contador on those Giro climbs.

No_Positives said:
Alpuerto and Pellizotti will not be sleeping well. Ricco's re-tests may also break the machine, given how he was dropping Contador on those Giro climbs.

I will admit. That was mildly humorous.

Did we heard ealier that Italian police had sent samples to Paris for retesting? Or wasn't it just a yet non satisfied will?

OH... so NOW the UCI wants to re-test...

McQuaid is such a corrupt piece of sh!t it's unfrick'n unbelievable! with riders turning up left and right in the tour with positives at the tour (i suspect there were even more that were buried) and with unbelievable performances... he claims there is no need to retest the Giro samples.. now that someone else has the samples in hand and can show what a worthless, corrupt, heaping pile of dog **** that he and the UCI are, all of a sudden.. yeah... we want to retest the samples... what an ass!!

In October of last year McQuaid played down thoughts of re-examining the Giro samples.

Stating that he was not opposed to retroactive testing, he said that there needed to be grounds to believe riders had been doping before re-examinations would be done.

"What I was asked is if the UCI are now going to test all of the samples of the Vuelta, all of the samples of the Giro, and all the samples of the 2007 Tour de France, because the AFLD retroactively tested samples from this year and found CERA there?" he said. "My answer was no to that.

"In principle, the UCI supports the idea of retroactive testing, and we always have done that. But it has got to be based on good information, either on suspicion in terms of [sudden] excellent performances, on information that would, for example, come from the biological passport, or information that will come from people in the field in relation to a particular individual."
UCI Wants 2008 Giro Samples Re-tested For CERA | Cyclingnews.com

doctorSpoc said:
OH... so NOW the UCI wants to re-test...

McQuaid is such a corrupt piece of sh!t it's unfrick'n unbelievable! with riders turning up left and right in the tour with positives at the tour (i suspect there were even more that were buried) and with unbelievable performances... he claims there is no need to retest the Giro samples.. now that someone else has the samples in hand and can show what a worthless, corrupt, heaping pile of dog **** that he and the UCI are, all of a sudden.. yeah... we want to retest the samples... what an ass!!

UCI Wants 2008 Giro Samples Re-tested For CERA | Cyclingnews.com

The UCI has very little power base in the sport. The riders arent contracted to them and they dont own any of the venues. The business environment of the sport is too complex for a man like McQuaid with limited mental capacity. The sport needs to be kerry packered before we can go anywhere meaningful.

Geoff Vadar said:
The UCI has very little power base in the sport. The riders arent contracted to them and they dont own any of the venues. The business environment of the sport is too complex for a man like McQuaid with limited mental capacity. The sport needs to be kerry packered before we can go anywhere meaningful.

i understand that the UCI is struggling for relevance and even it's very own existence as the governance over the pro ranks at least and don't feel like they can push too hard, but i just hate listening to all the BS and straight up lies.. it's like Albert Einstein said.. insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.. busting a few guys here and there isn't working.. no one is scared.. if they aren't going to earnestly do anything about doping then stop saying your are and stop trying or faking that your are trying.. or actually do something about it.. admit the sport is rotten from rootta to the toota and do a complete flush of everyone and start fresh from there..

am i the only one that noticed that the guys were sanctioned through the new bulletproof bio-passport program are not the same ones that got sanctioned through traditional dope tests.. this is 100% proof positive that even the bio-passport program is garbage and can be beat.. we all know that the traditional testing can be beat, but this also proves it unequivocally...

McQuaid needs to go.. has no vision or leadership ability.. he can't even lie convincingly or competently... how can anyone with two brain cells to rub together honestly say with a straight face that there was no need to re-test the Giro samples for CERA use.. no suspicion that anything might have been amuck at the Giro as he did last year? and how can anyone think that anyone would be stupid enough to believe his idiotic, transparently bogus "reasoning" for why last years Giro samples didn't need to get re-tested. there about turn, now that another authority has the samples in hand demonstrate that their original claims were totally bogus.

i do understand their precarious position in the middle of all of this.. it's just annoying when you are being lied to so transparently...

The real problem is more why we (or the press) are so compleasant with such amount of BS year after year!
I want to have more Greg Lemond pointing their voluntered flaws. Today we don't have a press but more commercial selling an event they will comment few days or months later. Don't spite in the soup, do the same cover up!