2008 Olympic China Beijing Hotel Standard Apartment,Villa Reservation Center

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 2008 Olympic China Beijing Hotel Standard Apartment,Villa Reservation
> Center

<Spam snipped>

Did anyone else see 'Unreported World' last night? Many people in Beijing
have been evicted from their homes to make way for such apartments, and for
the Olympics themselves. The compensation that they were offered was
derisory, not enough to buy a new home. Many are ending up on the streets
or, when they try to complain to the authorities, they are imprisoned in
illegal black jails. If they try to stand up against developers, they are
beaten by hired thugs and intimidated by the police.

As much as I would have been proud to watch the Great Britain team
performance, I will not now be watching. I will boycotting the Beijing
Olympics and, as far as I can, all Chinese made items, especially luxury
goods, in protest at how they treat their own people. I hope some of you
will join me in this.

David Lloyd

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:32:30 GMT, "David Lloyd"
<[email protected]> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> 2008 Olympic China Beijing Hotel Standard Apartment,Villa Reservation
>> Center
>>

><Spam snipped>
>
>Did anyone else see 'Unreported World' last night? Many people in Beijing
>have been evicted from their homes to make way for such apartments, and for
>the Olympics themselves. The compensation that they were offered was
>derisory, not enough to buy a new home. Many are ending up on the streets
>or, when they try to complain to the authorities, they are imprisoned in
>illegal black jails. If they try to stand up against developers, they are
>beaten by hired thugs and intimidated by the police.
>
>As much as I would have been proud to watch the Great Britain team
>performance, I will not now be watching. I will boycotting the Beijing
>Olympics and, as far as I can, all Chinese made items, especially luxury
>goods, in protest at how they treat their own people. I hope some of you
>will join me in this.

Kudos! I, too, am disgusted by the situation. Olympic sponsors should
be boycotted and, to be even more effective, need to receive a letter
from their customers.

A partial list of sponsors:

Adidas
Annheuser Busch (Budweiser)
Atos Origin (technology consulting)
B & Q
Bank of China
China Airlines
CNPC (Chinese National Petroleum Company)
Coca-Cola
DaimlerChrysler
EDF Energy
Kodak
General Electric
Haier (white goods)
Hilton Hotels
Johnson & Johnson
Kellogg's
Lenovo (computers)
Lloyds TSB
Manulife Financial
McDonalds
Michelob (beer)
Nike
Omega (watches)
Panasonic
PricewaterhouseCoopers
Samsung
United Airlines
Visa
Volkswagen

> As much as I would have been proud to watch the Great Britain team
> performance, I will not now be watching. I will boycotting the Beijing
> Olympics and, as far as I can, all Chinese made items, especially luxury
> goods, in protest at how they treat their own people. I hope some of you
> will join me in this.
>
> David Lloyd

Fair play to you, but I think you will find it very hard to avoid
purchasing Chinese made goods, or goods or services that have at some
point made use of Chinese manufactured goods. Even if you can somehow
find a way of detecting items that are not made in China, then it is
likely that they will be made in Indonesia or Brazil, and you will
have no difficulty in finding a hole raft of human rights abuses in
these countries.

You could always play safe and just buy British, but of course we kill
innocent Iraqis. I sympathise with your position, but I am afraid you
are just pissing in the wind.

Sorry.

"raisethe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> As much as I would have been proud to watch the Great Britain team
>> performance, I will not now be watching. I will boycotting the Beijing
>> Olympics and, as far as I can, all Chinese made items, especially luxury
>> goods, in protest at how they treat their own people. I hope some of you
>> will join me in this.
>>
>> David Lloyd

> Fair play to you, but I think you will find it very hard to avoid
> purchasing Chinese made goods, or goods or services that have at some
> point made use of Chinese manufactured goods. Even if you can somehow
> find a way of detecting items that are not made in China, then it is
> likely that they will be made in Indonesia or Brazil, and you will
> have no difficulty in finding a hole raft of human rights abuses in
> these countries.
>
> You could always play safe and just buy British, but of course we kill
> innocent Iraqis. I sympathise with your position, but I am afraid you
> are just pissing in the wind.
>
> Sorry.

A lot of people pissing in the wind should always stand together :)

"Marc Brett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:32:30 GMT, "David Lloyd"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>><[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> 2008 Olympic China Beijing Hotel Standard Apartment,Villa Reservation
>>> Center
>>>

>><Spam snipped>
>>
>>Did anyone else see 'Unreported World' last night? Many people in Beijing
>>have been evicted from their homes to make way for such apartments, and
>>for
>>the Olympics themselves. The compensation that they were offered was
>>derisory, not enough to buy a new home. Many are ending up on the streets
>>or, when they try to complain to the authorities, they are imprisoned in
>>illegal black jails. If they try to stand up against developers, they are
>>beaten by hired thugs and intimidated by the police.
>>
>>As much as I would have been proud to watch the Great Britain team
>>performance, I will not now be watching. I will boycotting the Beijing
>>Olympics and, as far as I can, all Chinese made items, especially luxury
>>goods, in protest at how they treat their own people. I hope some of you
>>will join me in this.

> Kudos! I, too, am disgusted by the situation. Olympic sponsors should
> be boycotted and, to be even more effective, need to receive a letter
> from their customers.
>
> A partial list of sponsors:
>
> Adidas
> Annheuser Busch (Budweiser)
> Atos Origin (technology consulting)
> B & Q
> Bank of China
> China Airlines
> CNPC (Chinese National Petroleum Company)
> Coca-Cola
> DaimlerChrysler
> EDF Energy
> Kodak
> General Electric
> Haier (white goods)
> Hilton Hotels
> Johnson & Johnson
> Kellogg's
> Lenovo (computers)
> Lloyds TSB
> Manulife Financial
> McDonalds
> Michelob (beer)
> Nike
> Omega (watches)
> Panasonic
> PricewaterhouseCoopers
> Samsung
> United Airlines
> Visa
> Volkswagen

Wow! You've obviously been thinking about this! I can avoid most of these. I
can swap my breakfast cereals. I've just applied for a new visa card, but I
can cancel that.

Johnson & Johnson might be a bit more difficult, considering how many Brand
names they are behind. Tehy advertise themselves as a family company, so I
wonder if they know how many families the Chinese authorities have made
homeless.

David Lloyd

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 09:24:54 GMT, "David Lloyd"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Marc Brett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:32:30 GMT, "David Lloyd"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>I will boycotting the Beijing
>>>Olympics and, as far as I can, all Chinese made items, especially luxury
>>>goods, in protest at how they treat their own people. I hope some of you
>>>will join me in this.

>> A partial list of sponsors:
>>
>> [A-Z]

>Wow! You've obviously been thinking about this! I can avoid most of these. I
>can swap my breakfast cereals. I've just applied for a new visa card, but I
>can cancel that.
>
>Johnson & Johnson might be a bit more difficult, considering how many Brand
>names they are behind. Tehy advertise themselves as a family company, so I
>wonder if they know how many families the Chinese authorities have made
>homeless.

How hard can it be to boycott McDonald's and Coca-Cola? It's a win for
your health, regardless of its effects on Chinese peasants and their
overlords.

"Marc Brett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 09:24:54 GMT, "David Lloyd"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Marc Brett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> A partial list of sponsors:
>>>
>>> [A-Z]

>>Wow! You've obviously been thinking about this! I can avoid most of these.
>>can swap my breakfast cereals. I've just applied for a new visa card, but
>>can cancel that.
>>
>>Johnson & Johnson might be a bit more difficult, considering how many
>>Brand
>>names they are behind. Tehy advertise themselves as a family company, so I
>>wonder if they know how many families the Chinese authorities have made
>>homeless.

> How hard can it be to boycott McDonald's and Coca-Cola? It's a win for
> your health, regardless of its effects on Chinese peasants and their
> overlords.

I very rarely touch McD's or Coke, so it's not much of a boycott ;P

David Lloyd

On Oct 20, 2:32 pm, "David Lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Did anyone else see 'Unreported World' last night? Many people in Beijing
> have been evicted from their homes to make way for such apartments, and for
> the Olympics themselves. The compensation that they were offered was
> derisory, not enough to buy a new home. Many are ending up on the streets
> or, when they try to complain to the authorities, they are imprisoned in
> illegal black jails. If they try to stand up against developers, they are
> beaten by hired thugs and intimidated by the police.
>
> As much as I would have been proud to watch the Great Britain team
> performance, I will not now be watching. I will boycotting the Beijing
> Olympics and, as far as I can, all Chinese made items, especially luxury
> goods, in protest at how they treat their own people. I hope some of you
> will join me in this.
>
> David Lloyd

Will you be taking a similar stance against the forced evictions,
removal of beggars from the streets and so on associated with the
London Olympics, the Atlanta Olympics, The Barcelona Olympics...?

"London is getting into the Olympic spirit - by kicking out the
Gypsies"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2100618,00.html

"Travellers go to court over eviction to make way for Olympic village"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/olympics2012/story/0,,2031602,00.html

"Gypsies lose Olympic site battle"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/6620003.stm

"Residents on Olympic site stand firm in eviction fight"

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/article1963899.ece

Etc. etc.

How about a boycott relating to the way the Olympic Development
Authority have put profits before people by selling land to developers
for up-market housing developments at the cost of displacing the
replacement for the Eastway cycle circuit onto a small strip of land
next to a main road? (Not to mention scrapping the MTB facilities
that were provided at Eastway, despite the Olympic bid supposedly
promising a like-for like replacement for both the road and MTB
facilities).

Marc Brett wrote:

> How hard can it be to boycott McDonald's

Didn't they sponsor the political wing of Sein Fein

<[email protected]> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> 2008 Olympic China Beijing Hotel Standard Apartment,Villa Reservation
>> Center
>>

><Spam snipped>
>
>Did anyone else see 'Unreported World' last night? Many people in Beijing
>have been evicted from their homes to make way for such apartments, and for
>the Olympics themselves. The compensation that they were offered was
>derisory, not enough to buy a new home. Many are ending up on the streets
>or, when they try to complain to the authorities, they are imprisoned in
>illegal black jails. If they try to stand up against developers, they are
>beaten by hired thugs and intimidated by the police.

I expect those evicted and/or beaten up were migrant workers, not
Beijing residents.

AFAIK Beijing residents whose abode is up for redevelopment are
entitled to be rehoused in a property of at least the same size,
though the location may be less than convienient.

Migrant workers will most likely have their home on a commune, perhaps
the other side of the country, and have no entitlement to live in
Beijing.

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:35:16 -0700, raisethe <[email protected]>
wrote:

>You could always play safe and just buy British, but of course we kill
>innocent Iraqis. I sympathise with your position, but I am afraid you
>are just pissing in the wind.

Let us remember that much British wealth was built on the Slave trade.

And I wonder how many people considered a boycott of British goods
because we sent children up chimneys, down mines and routinely beat
them for disobedience.

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:32:30 GMT, "David Lloyd"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>><[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> 2008 Olympic China Beijing Hotel Standard Apartment,Villa Reservation
>>> Center
>>>

>><Spam snipped>
>>
>>Did anyone else see 'Unreported World' last night? Many people in Beijing
>>have been evicted from their homes to make way for such apartments, and
>>for
>>the Olympics themselves. The compensation that they were offered was
>>derisory, not enough to buy a new home. Many are ending up on the streets
>>or, when they try to complain to the authorities, they are imprisoned in
>>illegal black jails. If they try to stand up against developers, they are
>>beaten by hired thugs and intimidated by the police.

> I expect those evicted and/or beaten up were migrant workers, not
> Beijing residents.
>
> AFAIK Beijing residents whose abode is up for redevelopment are
> entitled to be rehoused in a property of at least the same size,
> though the location may be less than convienient.
>
> Migrant workers will most likely have their home on a commune, perhaps
> the other side of the country, and have no entitlement to live in
> Beijing.

When is a resident not a resident? The Chinese economy is sucking people
into Beijing just like the industrial revolution sucked people into cities
in the UK. These people had proper homes from which they were turfed out.

David Lloyd

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:35:16 -0700, raisethe <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>You could always play safe and just buy British, but of course we kill
>>innocent Iraqis. I sympathise with your position, but I am afraid you
>>are just pissing in the wind.

> Let us remember that much British wealth was built on the Slave trade.
>
> And I wonder how many people considered a boycott of British goods
> because we sent children up chimneys, down mines and routinely beat
> them for disobedience.

Should we turn a blind eye because we did similar or worse in the past? I
wasn't there at the time, and if those conditions were still present, I
believe I would speak out against them. The past is the past, and I for one
don't expect such actions to be condoned in what is supposed to be an
advanced society.

David Lloyd

Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> Marc Brett wrote:
>
> > How hard can it be to boycott McDonald's

> Didn't they sponsor the political wing of Sein Fein

Assuming the above was a spelling mistake, Sinn Fein /is/ the political
wing of Sinn Fein.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:09:48 GMT, "David Lloyd"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:32:30 GMT, "David Lloyd"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>><[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...
>>>>
>>><Spam snipped>
>>>
>>>Did anyone else see 'Unreported World' last night? Many people in Beijing
>>>have been evicted from their homes to make way for such apartments, and
>>>for
>>>the Olympics themselves. The compensation that they were offered was
>>>derisory, not enough to buy a new home. Many are ending up on the streets
>>>or, when they try to complain to the authorities, they are imprisoned in
>>>illegal black jails. If they try to stand up against developers, they are
>>>beaten by hired thugs and intimidated by the police.

>> I expect those evicted and/or beaten up were migrant workers, not
>> Beijing residents.
>>
>> AFAIK Beijing residents whose abode is up for redevelopment are
>> entitled to be rehoused in a property of at least the same size,
>> though the location may be less than convienient.
>>
>> Migrant workers will most likely have their home on a commune, perhaps
>> the other side of the country, and have no entitlement to live in
>> Beijing.

>When is a resident not a resident? The Chinese economy is sucking people
>into Beijing just like the industrial revolution sucked people into cities
>in the UK. These people had proper homes from which they were turfed out.

The Western economy is sucking people into Western societies from
across the developing world. Although those imigrants contribute, or
indeed are the driving force, behind western economies, they have no
automatic right of citizenship in the host country.

In the same way, Chinese peasants sucked into the cities have no
automatic right to residency staus in the host city.

A city, like Shanghai, if it accepted all and sundry, would not be
able to adequately support its permanent residents. It accepts
migrant workers, but they have no right to state accommodation,
healthcare or education.

However, it's not all bad for the migrant workers. They have no right
to buy or sell land in their home state, but they do rent their plots
of land to their neigbours giving them a modest but welcome source of
unearned income.

My brother lives in Shanghai with his Chinese wife. They have a maid
who is a migrant worker. Her husband stays at home, about 800Km away,
and he farms six plots of land. Together they have been able to put
their son through university education. He now works for an Italian
telecoms compnay and has managed to get city residency status.
Presumably he'll be able to support his parents sometime in the
future. Meanwhile, my brother's maid is investing her surplus income
in the Shanghai stock market.

Incidently, when my brother's wife had a second child they had a tough
time getting him Shanghai Residency staus. It cost them something in
the region of £3,000 in fines. He writes about it here:

www.cbiz.cn/news/showarticle.asp?id=2223

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:15:38 GMT, "David Lloyd"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:35:16 -0700, raisethe <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>You could always play safe and just buy British, but of course we kill
>>>innocent Iraqis. I sympathise with your position, but I am afraid you
>>>are just pissing in the wind.

>> Let us remember that much British wealth was built on the Slave trade.
>>
>> And I wonder how many people considered a boycott of British goods
>> because we sent children up chimneys, down mines and routinely beat
>> them for disobedience.

>Should we turn a blind eye because we did similar or worse in the past? I
>wasn't there at the time, and if those conditions were still present, I
>believe I would speak out against them. The past is the past, and I for one
>don't expect such actions to be condoned in what is supposed to be an
>advanced society.

No. Where we believe a wrong is being committed we need to question
what is going on. But we have a responsibility to have a certain
amount of background understanding before taking direct action.

I believe that the Beijing Olympics will do more good for China's
attitude to human rights and its position in the Worl community than
harm.

On 22 Oct, 16:15, "David Lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:35:16 -0700, raisethe <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >>You could always play safe and just buy British, but of course we kill
> >>innocent Iraqis. I sympathise with your position, but I am afraid you
> >>are just pissing in the wind.

> > Let us remember that much British wealth was built on the Slave trade.

> > And I wonder how many people considered a boycott of British goods
> > because we sent children up chimneys, down mines and routinely beat
> > them for disobedience.

> Should we turn a blind eye because we did similar or worse in the past? I
> wasn't there at the time, and if those conditions were still present, I
> believe I would speak out against them. The past is the past, and I for one
> don't expect such actions to be condoned in what is supposed to be an
> advanced society.
>
> David Lloyd

How are you going to stop buying things made in China? Just about
every manufacturing good you buy may have components either made in
China or in a country with similar human rights records. Are you going
to stop buying all manufactured goods? What about the low paid workers
who will lose their jobs if your anti Chinese campaign is successful?
Will that be a good thing or a bad thing?

You need to clarify your position if you wish to be taken seriously.