2008 TdF poll

Cobblestones

Jul 2, 2007
Ok, who will win it this year. I took the top 14 from the pre-race thread as options + 'other'.

Heart says Evans.

My head says Valverde.

Reason being I think Caisse have a rider, in Valverde, capable of winning this years TDF.
Allied to the fact that Valverde has a very strong team in Caisse plays in his favour.
And with Echeverria and Unzue managing Caisse - and given their track record of managing GT winners - I think that Valverde does have the advantage over Evans.

lucybears said:
he won't even be there
I imagine Rogers' odds are going to blow out to around 40/1 ... if he's not going to be in the race.

That's a shame though... Ever since he injured himself while in the lead group last year... I was looking forward to seeing how he would go this year. He may not get another chance as leader.

Eventhough Caisse does have an impressive team, and Valverde seems to be the man on form, i just not sure he has what it takes to win. He just doesn't seem to have that "it" factor. With that being said, this be his best chance for him to win it, in his prime competition doesn't seem strong, and a strong team behind him.

I do not think that Valverde can last three weeks. He will have an off day and lose five minutes.

Fine, as the token Italian on the forum I will vote for Cunego. He has won a grand tour and has skipped the Giro to be in form for the tour. I do have doubts about his team...

I have to say Evans. But the part of the tour I'm most looking forwards to is CSC(-Saxobank)'s 3 pronged tactics with both Schleck brothers and Sastre. Too bad about Frank's crash today in the Tour de Suisse. I hope he'll be back on top form for the tour.

I'm not sure any of the CSC team will end up on the top step but I'm certain they'll put one of them on the podium.

Cobblestones said:
Ok, who will win it this year. I took the top 14 from the pre-race thread as options + 'other'.

From today's Swiss stage we've learned:

Cunego isn't going very well and was dropped on today's not so difficult final climb behind of group of not very great riders and in a group including climbing phenoms such as Friere and Julich.

Devolder again demonstrated he races as foolishingly in stage races as he does in the classics.

And Frank Schleck is a shockingly poor descender.

I'm going to say Menchov.