2008 TDF Stage 6 : Aigurande - Super-Besse Sancy

kennf said:
Did anyone else notice/hear Bob Roll ripping on Ricco last night? Basically saying that he is finding the Tour a whole different race than the Giro which I'm sure is true, but we're only 6 stages in) and isn't mouthing off like he usually does. Roll just doesn't like those outspoken young guys I guess. Upsets the old guard.
Excellent. Although I doubt that Ricco' even knows who Bob Roll is (honestly all I can say is that he raced some time ago, correct?), the response would be: I told you I would attack for the stage. I told you. :p

On to more important subjects - it is a shot in the arm for Saunier Duval, which has already lost two riders due to crashes.

Powerful Pete said:
Yup, I think that things are not panning out for Cunego, or at least he is not performing to the level of someone who came to the Tour for the GC. Let us see if he is able to develop better form as the race progresses...
It sure would be embarassing for him to see riders who have already busted their @$$ in the Giro grab stagewins, while he is caught in no-man's land in spite of preparing specifically for the Tour.

TheDarkLord said:
It sure would be embarassing for him to see riders who have already busted their @$$ in the Giro grab stagewins, while he is caught in no-man's land in spite of preparing specifically for the Tour.
Not only that, but more importantly he is 1.42 down in GC, if I am not mistaken.

BTW, on grahamwatson I ran across this picture of what Valverde looked like today. Ouch.

TheDarkLord said:
Cranky, do you get some $$ with Ricco getting the stage, or is the show really over?
Nah... it's over. It was fun... apart from losing money. The problem really was that we couldn't have overlaps... so the other guy would often have your first or second pick... depending on who went first in the selection. That and the fact that I know less than a twentieth of what thunder knows about pro cycling...
frown.gif

Powerful Pete said:
Not only that, but more importantly he is 1.42 down in GC, if I am not mistaken.

BTW, on grahamwatson I ran across this picture of what Valverde looked like today. Ouch.
It's not as bad as it looks PP. Much of the white stuff is a mesh garment meant to keep the set of bandages that cover his road rash in place.

TheDarkLord said:
It's not as bad as it looks PP. Much of the white stuff is a mesh garment meant to keep the set of bandages that cover his road rash in place.
Fair enough. I spent 15 kms hanging for dear life on to the 'big boys' group this evening... and we were only motoring in the low 40 kp/h range. Imagine the pain and suffering for Valverde on a TdF uphill finish at far more taxing levels for far longer... :eek:

Mamma mia we are all idiots. Cycling is truly the ultimate in terms of suffering. Should have worn cute little white outfits and pretended to play tennis at the local club... :rolleyes:

N.B. A red and yellow Pinarello (the colors of my city - ROMA!) looks absolutely stunning with Campagnolo Boras.

I realise I am stating the obvious, but that is truly a heck of a bike... :cool:

Powerful Pete said:
Fair enough. I spent 15 kms hanging for dear life on to the 'big boys' group this evening... and we were only motoring in the low 40 kp/h range. Imagine the pain and suffering for Valverde on a TdF uphill finish at far more taxing levels for far longer... :eek:

Mamma mia we are all idiots. Cycling is truly the ultimate in terms of suffering. Should have worn cute little white outfits and pretended to play tennis at the local club... :rolleyes:
Not to spoil your fantasy here PP, but try a marathon 5 hour tennis match! :p

Crankyfeet said:
Nah... it's over. It was fun... apart from losing money. The problem really was that we couldn't have overlaps... so the other guy would often have your first or second pick... depending on who went first in the selection. That and the fact that I know less than a twentieth of what thunder knows about pro cycling...
frown.gif
Awww...you mean you were finally right when you couldn't win anymore? Poor Cranky...:eek:

TheDarkLord said:
Not to spoil your fantasy here PP, but try a marathon 5 hour tennis match! :p
Cannot. I suck. But then again, try a seven hour ride with a few friends who are faster than you. :rolleyes:

Powerful Pete said:
Cannot. I suck. But then again, try a seven hour ride with a few friends who are faster than you. :rolleyes:
The maximum time I have been on the saddle is something like 3 hours, and I don't have any ambition to extend it much farther at least in the near future. ;)

So, how broken are you after the seven hour ride? Will you be able to get out of bed tomorrow? :p

Did Evans have an altercation with a motorcycle cop today who got in his way? I missed the first part of the race.

Last year he threw his drink in some motorcycle photographer's face who got too close.

Crankyfeet said:
Did Evans have an altercation with a motorcycle cop today who got in his way? I missed the first part of the race.

Last year he threw his drink in some motorcycle photographer's face who got too close.
He did tap him on the arm and then indicate something. Didn't seem like a big altercation.

TheDarkLord said:
He did tap him on the arm and then indicate something. Didn't seem like a big altercation.
When Evans had dropped back for a mechanical(?) he was pacing back up to his team who were just a ahead a little waiting for him. He was behind a team car and came close to running into the back of it.
The Police bike had slowed/stopped behind the slow moving Lotto team, he was a little to far out near the front of said team car, hence why the car had to brake quickly. Probably had no idea Evans was in behind at the time. So when Evans went passed him gave him a tap on the arm and keep your eyes open signal.

He probably should not have done it in the manner he did though.
Can he get arrested for assualting a police officer and chucked in gaol for the day :p

Bikeridindude said:
What the heck happenned to Cunego?? I was hoping to see him tear it up a little bit this year. Guess it's still early, but it really doesn't look good when all the other contenders were able to hang at the front. My other underdog Sanchez didn't do too bad though. Andy Schleck?? Bit disappointing. We'll see what happens when the big hills come around.

I just don't think Cunego is what everybbody thinks he will be. When he won the Giro, It didn't have as many Huge Mountains as most (I recall one stage with Aprica and Mortirolo and that was it i believe), And he had alot more freedom, because everyone was to worried about Simoni, who was his team leader and Defending champ. IM just not sure he has what it takes to win the TDF, and I am not entirely sure he can podium. HOpe he can prove me wrong, but so far, I haven't seen any indication that he can.

Crankyfeet said:
You're right. Cadel Evans will win...
if evans wins, it will be a very sad day for cycling. actually, strike that. cycling already sucks. when a guy like cadel is considered a tour fave and garners so much media attention, you know the sport is in the pits.

Klodifan said:
if evans wins, it will be a very sad day for cycling. actually, strike that. cycling already sucks. when a guy like cadel is considered a tour fave and garners so much media attention, you know the sport is in the pits.
That's a bit unfair I think. He may not be Mr. Charisma... but I can think of a few contenders in the peloton with more nefarious reputations.

If you're just alluding to his conservative style of riding, so be it. You do what you have to do to win within the rules. There's no bonus points in the Tour for being a big, risk-taking attacker.

Powerful Pete said:

it's piti's homage to vino

Klodifan said:
I like you. You think like me!