2008 TdF teams announced...

It is definitely under their skin. The whining from a month ago is starting all over again.

Did they honestly think the ASO would change their minds?

It's great news for Slipstream.

hawkeye87 said:
It is definitely under their skin. The whining from a month ago is starting all over again.

Did they honestly think the ASO would change their minds?

It's great news for Slipstream.
Where is the whining starting (again) hawkeye? DPF? We will soon see more vitriol against Slipstream too.

Powerful Pete said:
Did you have any doubt regarding Slipstream? One American team is necessary...
Slipstream's philosophy was more necessary. There is 2 american teams with High Road.:D

If you had told me two years ago that Vaughter's team would get an invite, I'd thought you out of your mind.

He played his cards perfectly given the environment in the sport, which, had it been healthy, I think he would not have gotten the nod from ASO. It's amazing luck and planning, how everything fell into place for this team. I think before the start of this season, a Tour invite seemed possible and that fueled it's expansion. If you look at the team last year, it was maybe -- maybe -- the third best team in North America along with a handful of other teams that could stake a claim to that modest claim. Now, a Tour invite?

Astounding. What a marketing coup for Chipoltes.

helmutRoole2 said:
If you had told me two years ago that Vaughter's team would get an invite, I'd thought you out of your mind.

He played his cards perfectly given the environment in the sport, which, had it been healthy, I think he would not have gotten the nod from ASO. It's amazing luck and planning, how everything fell into place for this team. I think before the start of this season, a Tour invite seemed possible and that fueled it's expansion. If you look at the team last year, it was maybe -- maybe -- the third best team in North America along with a handful of other teams that could stake a claim to that modest claim. Now, a Tour invite?

Astounding. What a marketing coup for Chipoltes.
He did well to position his team like he did... but aren't they still waiting for a title sponsor? Or is Slipstream the title sponsor? I thought Slipstream was trying to build up the team to sell off the title sponsorship?

High Road is in a similar predicament. Stapleton is somehow propping up the operation in T-Mobile's absence, isn't he? Can they afford to run these teams for two to three years and spend 15-20 million in the process? It will be interesting to see if they can survive without an exit opportunity... or whether they need to have a new sponsor take over quick because their outgoings aren't sustainable.

helmutRoole2 said:
Astounding. What a marketing coup for Chipotles.
I'm not so sure. They certainly get a lot more bang by getting into the TdF. But they have no business in Europe... and how many Americans are going to tune into the telecast on Versus? How much are they going to get out of their annual $2-3 million secondary sponsorship? I mean... how many people refer to the team as "Team Slipstream-Chipotle"? It's nearly always referred to as "Team Slipstream" when I've heard them mentioned on this forum. Maybe the announcers and journos will get the whole name in when they mention the team.

But $2-3 million isn't a great problem for them as they are growing in business about 33% per annum (revenues) and 60% in profits pa.

Maybe they are planning on expanding into Europe? Most likely the owner is a cyclist who is champing at the bit at being involved as a VIP at the TdF.

Happy that Slipstream is in, but it's a little disturbing that two of the TdF teams - SS and High Road - don't have a "real" primary sponsor.

Leafer said:
Happy that Slipstream is in, but it's a little disturbing that two of the TdF teams - SS and High Road - don't have a "real" primary sponsor.
Well, as long as there is someone paying the bills, be it a real or not real sponsor... :D

Leafer said:
Now they could find one.

poulidor said:
Now they could find one.
Maybe slipstream could really rub the nose in the dirt and convince Discovery channel to sponsor them ...:D

Stapleton is mighty wealthy so I don't see much issue with High Rd.

Crankyfeet said:
I'm not so sure. They certainly get a lot more bang by getting into the TdF. But they have no business in Europe... and how many Americans are going to tune into the telecast on Versus? How much are they going to get out of their annual $2-3 million secondary sponsorship? I mean... how many people refer to the team as "Team Slipstream-Chipotle"? It's nearly always referred to as "Team Slipstream" when I've heard them mentioned on this forum. Maybe the announcers and journos will get the whole name in when they mention the team.

But $2-3 million isn't a great problem for them as they are growing in business about 33% per annum (revenues) and 60% in profits pa.

Maybe they are planning on expanding into Europe? Most likely the owner is a cyclist who is champing at the bit at being involved as a VIP at the TdF.
See, I told everybody they need chili peppers on their kits instead of argyle!

OMG do you mean that the 5638 names on the LetLeviRide petition didn't sway the ASO, tell me it ain't so

ha ha ha

I do wonder how much money Trek made in tshits, hats and all that **** they were selling at tour of California

earth_dweller said:
OMG do you mean that the 5638 names on the LetLeviRide petition didn't sway the ASO, tell me it ain't so

ha ha ha

I do wonder how much money Trek made in tshits, hats and all that **** they were selling at tour of California
It's kind of like... "We at Trek are going to lose out if Levi and Astana don't get to the TdF.... so we are going to try to milk this LetLeviRide campaign as a way of compensating ourselves for our misfortune".

Vaughters will be able to cash in big now. He has a guaranteed entry to the Tour and is not encumbered by committments. Somebody might be willing to write a huge check just for the month of July.

Why are the Paceliners so ****** off at Versus? I can't figure it out.

Has anybody registered over at team astana yet?

Frigo's Luggage said:
Vaughters will be able to cash in big now. He has a guaranteed entry to the Tour and is not encumbered by committments. Somebody might be willing to write a huge check just for the month of July.

Has anybody registered over at team astana yet?
Well I can see Bambi, 9lives, AnnieSaxon, and Pathman there. But not many others as yet.

Frigo's Luggage said:

They have decided to destroy all cycling coverage in the U.S. to show their displeasure at Astana not being invited to the Tour. Next year when Astana gets an invite, they won't be able to watch. A cunning plan indeed.