2008 Tour De France : Stage 1 Brest - Plumelec 195 km Saturday, July

Grater said:
Stegmens

But I think Stage 1 will go to the man who has wore Yellow the last few years after day 1 Fabian Cancellara.

He will do a chrono in the last few km's to take it out.
I have to agree with that.

Time bonuses. None for intermediate sprints, but still exist at the finishing line (so there can be a winner). Is that correct?

scirocco said:
Time bonuses. None for intermediate sprints, but still exist at the finishing line (so there can be a winner). Is that correct?
no. no time bonus across the finish line.

Given that most of the favourites have been used - I'm going for an outsider - one of the Schlek bro's.

Runitout said:
Hunter. Does well in carnage, and carnage it will be.
cant climb run.

Cooke will be given the role in stage one for Barloworld.

Hunter might try and hold his wheel for points to stay in green contention, as with Hushovd and Steegmans and Freire potentially snagging points, he could be out if he does not score.

But no, sorry to shoot your pick down, can't see him holding his position to sprint for the win. He may well be there, but not in position to win.

thunder said:
cant climb run.

Cooke will be given the role in stage one for Barloworld.

Hunter might try and hold his wheel for points to stay in green contention, as with Hushovd and Steegmans and Freire potentially snagging points, he could be out if he does not score.

But no, sorry to shoot your pick down, can't see him holding his position to sprint for the win. He may well be there, but not in position to win.

No, he can't climb, it's true. I just did my homework and looked at the last Km, and he doesn't stand a chance. Whoever said Pozzato is probably not far off.

classic1 said:
Normally causes it IMHO
yeah, he does not mind to flick his back wheel a la the little Napoleon.

Hunter and Popovych got off their bikes and were ready to go the knuckle in th 2006 Tour of Cali before someone calmed them down. Popo is a golden gloves champ in the jnrs in Ukraine also. Would have been quite a site. Hunter is a tough bugger, but woulda got his **** handed to him.

thunder said:
yeah, he does not mind to flick his back wheel a la the little Napoleon.

Hunter and Popovych got off their bikes and were ready to go the knuckle in th 2006 Tour of Cali before someone calmed them down. Popo is a golden gloves champ in the jnrs in Ukraine also. Would have been quite a site. Hunter is a tough bugger, but woulda got his **** handed to him.

I would pay good coin to see that. far better than watching azumah and fenech throw zimmer frames at each other.

Hunter will be confused over which wheel to follow in the last 600m during the sprint finishes of this TdF IMO. Last year he just looked for Tommeke.

Crankyfeet said:
Hunter will be confused over which wheel to follow in the last 600m during the sprint finishes of this TdF IMO. Last year he just looked for Tommeke.

Agreed unfortunately - Robbie is a brute force and ignorance kinda sprinter. Still...there is a lot of brute force.

Perhaps a few more years will get him the tactical nuance he needs...

Runitout said:
I would pay good coin to see that. far better than watching azumah and fenech throw zimmer frames at each other.
Surely we're not talking about Jeff and Azumah? Is this the kinda shite people get up to in Australia these days? I've been away too long...

Meanwhile back at the point - I'll tip Zabel. It's nostalgia really but he'll do all the little things right.

mrfrogger said:
Surely we're not talking about Jeff and Azumah? Is this the kinda shite people get up to in Australia these days? I've been away too long...

Meanwhile back at the point - I'll tip Zabel. It's nostalgia really but he'll do all the little things right.
If peloton aarives grouped, Kim Kirchen will go with 4 kms to go, with Cavendish/Ciolek as backup if they catch him

adamastor said:
If peloton aarives grouped, Kim Kirchen will go with 4 kms to go, with Cavendish/Ciolek as backup if they catch him
nope Kirchen will not attack, he will follow wheels.

No need to expend unnecessary energy as a GC candidate throwing in an attack on stage 1, why would you? Why waste the effort? No bonus seconds. He will hide in the top 20, and when the peel of riders off the front occurs, he might find himself in a position to sprint for the win at the finish. But no, he will not actively animate the last 2kms. He is damn fast, so if they lose the sprinters, he will be there in the sprint with Ricco/Valverde et al.

wicklow200 said:
Why is that? He didnt ride the tour last year either did he?
gives him ability to cherry pick the races like Hamburg and San Sebastian

mrfrogger said:

I like Zabel, the experience and the fact he likes those uphill type finishes. Also isn't his birthday either Sunday or Monday?? Be a nice little present for himself.