2008 Tour De France : Stage 1 Brest - Plumelec 195 km Saturday, July

Drongo said:
McEwen tipped Valverde for the stage win: http://www.smh.com.au/news/tourdefrance/mcewen-tips-evanss-rivals-for-first-stage-win/2008/07/04/1214951003669.html
The papers are trying to build it up as a rift, although his comments are innocuous enough. Having said that, I'll bet McEwen doesn't have a picture of Evans over his fireplace.

Having seen the parcours profile, what he says makes sense. Valverde is up there as a good chance to do well. I would prefer a Ricco, Sanchez or my revised pick Pozzato - someone with legs for a short burst up hill but less expectation on GC - but you would write off Valverde here at your peril. Devolder might do it too if he's canny enough. So that's why I'm not including him.

Drongo said:
McEwen tipped Valverde for the stage win: http://www.smh.com.au/news/tourdefrance/mcewen-tips-evanss-rivals-for-first-stage-win/2008/07/04/1214951003669.html
The papers are trying to build it up as a rift, although his comments are innocuous enough. Having said that, I'll bet McEwen doesn't have a picture of Evans over his fireplace.
That's just BS that McEwen predicting a Valverde win is somehow a slight at Evans. Is this the tabloid level of cycling journalism in Oz?

Crankyfeet said:
That's just BS that McEwen predicting a Valverde win is somehow a slight at Evans. Is this the tabloid level of cycling journalism in Oz?

It would be, but as you know, the Sydney Morning Herald is [gulp] broadsheet of record for the nation. So to give them the benefit of the doubt - maybe they assume that everything that isn't a fanboy comment is somehow a criticism?

Further - it's an AFP story - some chump at the wire services has put this together and the SMH has lazily reprinted it.

Runitout said:
It would be, but as you know, the Sydney Morning Herald is [gulp] broadsheet of record for the nation. So to give them the benefit of the doubt - maybe they assume that everything that isn't a fanboy comment is somehow a criticism?

Further - it's an AFP story - some chump at the wire services has put this together and the SMH has lazily reprinted it.
actually the wires report they pick up on cycling is from an insightful cycling journo, looked at all the reporting last year.

Did my own Stuat Littlemore Medja Watch. When the reporting on Monday after was "Contador is a doper, our guy was the rightful winner".

I still think Gert Steegmans and Thor Hushovd will be there for the finish.

Crankyfeet said:
What are you talking about? I haven't seen any post of yours on this subject.
being facetious everyone, Cranky is a little anal with him making sure every thread has the right posts in the right areas, so he quotes posts from different threads, to make it comprehensive and more insightful in the dedicated thread. And always quotes and gets permission.

:D

dont worry crank, we are just trying to libel you, you hire C'Dale girl and we will meet in some court in say, montana or minnesota, somewhere between C and you, and you can sue my ****. :D

thunder said:
being facetious everyone, Cranky is a little anal with him making sure every thread has the right posts in the right areas, so he quotes posts from different threads, to make it comprehensive and more insightful in the dedicated thread. And always quotes and gets permission.

:D

dont worry crank, we are just trying to libel you, you hire C'Dale girl and we will meet in some court in say, montana or minnesota, somewhere between C and you, and you can sue my ****. :D
Suing your **** would be getting too anal... :D

thunder said:
I did a top 4 numbskull.

You can do a top 7 or a top 189 if you wish.
I bet you at least one of my four beats one of your four... .

In fact... let's see who gets the most green jersey points. I would have had at least one of yours in my best four... but I'll let you have first pick advantage. You'll need it... :D

I just realised Fabian is probably going to save himself for stage four. Still... I'm sticking with those.

Does tomorrows stage go anywhere near Bernard Hinaults home town, Yffiniac, does anyone know?????

limerickman said:
Does tomorrows stage go anywhere near Bernard Hinaults home town, Yffiniac, does anyone know?????
Here is the map of tomorrow's route:
CARTE.gif

A quick search in google maps shows Yffiniac to be near St. Brieuc (upper right in the map). So, the tomorrow's route is nowhere near Yffiniac.

limerickman said:
No. Stage 2 does. Yffiniac is near Saint-Brieuc.

Edit - beaten by about half a second!:)

Crankyfeet said:
Read it again Cranky.
McEwen is saying Valverde is a good chance to take the Stage win.(not the GC win)
He is right too I think. It's a stage that Valverde could do well but I would think he won't so early in the piece. In saying that though, the chance to grab the malliot juane for a few days might tempt him to have a big go.

I'll pick either Ricco, Pozzato or Louis Leon Sanchez for the stage.
All would be looking for an opportunistic chance to grab the malliot juane, which they could most likely keep hold of until stage 4'sTT.

The main GC guys I think will just be looking to keep clear of any trouble. I would expect some insane attacks on that last climb to the finish.

Trev_S said:
Read it again Cranky.
McEwen is saying Valverde is a good chance to take the Stage win.(not the GC win)
He is right too I think. It's a stage that Valverde could do well but I would think he won't so early in the piece. In saying that though, the chance to grab the malliot juane for a few days might tempt him to have a big go.

I'll pick either Ricco, Pozzato or Louis Leon Sanchez for the stage.
All would be looking for an opportunistic chance to grab the malliot juane, which they could most likely keep hold of until stage 4'sTT.

The main GC guys I think will just be looking to keep clear of any trouble. I would expect some insane attacks on that last climb to the finish.
Read my post again Trev. I'm agreeing with you. I'm not sure how you interpreted that I was talking about a GC win... :confused: .

I was saying that McEwen tipping Valverde to win the stage is NOT a slight at his team mate... Cadel. Wasn't the article kind of implying that his prediction was not supportive of Evans?

I'm too lazy to read it again.

Sorry Cranky.
I just took where you said "win" as an overall win as opposed to stage win.

thunder said:
nope Kirchen will not attack, he will follow wheels.

No need to expend unnecessary energy as a GC candidate throwing in an attack on stage 1, why would you? Why waste the effort? No bonus seconds. He will hide in the top 20, and when the peel of riders off the front occurs, he might find himself in a position to sprint for the win at the finish. But no, he will not actively animate the last 2kms. He is damn fast, so if they lose the sprinters, he will be there in the sprint with Ricco/Valverde et al.
well, I did listen to him today on Luxembourg TV. Stage 1 is made for him, and honestly I don't think he will let a stage go for GC, as I don't see him in top 5 this year. And he knows it.
But you're right: he doesn't need to attack, but simply wait in the wheels as he is very fast in sprints.

Crankyfeet said:
What about Zabel, Freire, Pozzato, and Cancellara?
Zabel - Be there, but not able to bag it.
Freire - Be there, very able to bag it.
Pozzato - Be there, able to bag it if Freire makes a mistake.
Cancellara - My question is who is willing to take responsibility to reel him in? His attack may very well stick. So my guess is

Cancellara
Freire
Pozzato, Valverde, Kirchen, Cunego, Ricco??, ? Hard to say.
Steegmans might make it, but he won't beat Freire in a sprint on top of that climb if Freire is OK.

Hushovd has been more or less ill for a week, is now on penicillium, and should not be able to keep close enaugh.