2008 Tour De France : Stage 1 Brest - Plumelec 195 km Saturday, July

Rolfrae said:
Could this be Ricco's first Tour stage win?
Might not be a bad bet if it does come down to a sprint finish. Does anyone have any details of the final climb?

Anticyclone said:
Might not be a bad bet if it does come down to a sprint finish. Does anyone have any details of the final climb?
http://www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2008/100/PROFILKMS.gif

MintID said:
How about Valverde?
Could be to early in the race though.
I wonder if he'd want to take the jersey so early on and have the team feeling pressurised into holding it. Then again, who'd say no to the maillot jaune?

The great thing about this stage is there are so many possible victors (Ricco, Betinni, Valverde, Cunego, Evans, Friere, Kirchen...). I wouldn't even rule out the possibility of a break staying away.

Rolfrae said:
I wonder if he'd want to take the jersey so early on and have the team feeling pressurised into holding it. Then again, who'd say no to the maillot jaune?

The great thing about this stage is there are so many possible victors (Ricco, Betinni, Valverde, Cunego, Evans, Friere, Kirchen...). I wouldn't even rule out the possibility of a break staying away.
Betinni will be in Austria

Maybe, there will be successful break away.
It's too early for the favorites to make risky, chasing finish and to take responsibility of wearing yellow jersey and tire their team.

Andrija said:
Maybe, there will be successful break away.
It's too early for the favorites to make risky, chasing finish and to take responsibility of wearing yellow jersey and tire their team.
Yeah, i was wondering who would do the chasing. I think the GC guys will only start to chase if the breakaway contains a rider who can climb well enough to make it difficult to get the jersey back. But then a rider like that wouldnt be allowed to get into the breakway and/or wouldnt make it through three weeks in the yellow jersey. It isnt really a great stage for a sprinter so their teams may well not be too interested - although if they think they have a chance to take the yellow jersey in the following stages then maybe they will want to prevent any breakaways staying away in case they get the time bonuses in the following stages and take the jersey. Also, the carrot of a yellow jersey if you can win the stage will prove strong for any teams who think they have a rider who might be able to do something at the end of the stage but isnt in the break.

I think that the breakaway will get chased down if it only has a few people in it. One possibility is that a large group does get away but these dont normally work well with each other.

Anticyclone said:
Yeah, i was wondering who would do the chasing. I think the GC guys will only start to chase if the breakaway contains a rider who can climb well enough to make it difficult to get the jersey back. But then a rider like that wouldnt be allowed to get into the breakway and/or wouldnt make it through three weeks in the yellow jersey. It isnt really a great stage for a sprinter so their teams may well not be too interested - although if they think they have a chance to take the yellow jersey in the following stages then maybe they will want to prevent any breakaways staying away in case they get the time bonuses in the following stages and take the jersey. Also, the carrot of a yellow jersey if you can win the stage will prove strong for any teams who think they have a rider who might be able to do something at the end of the stage but isnt in the break.

I think that the breakaway will get chased down if it only has a few people in it. One possibility is that a large group does get away but these dont normally work well with each other.
Steegmans

Final climb is quite nice (1,7km with 6,2% average rate). Everything might happen here.

I like mountaintop finish at SuperBesse on Stage 6. I might cause some damage. It has 5,7% rate over first 7,4km and then after some flat section and slight downhill final 1,5km goes up to 10% avg. rate.

Final climb on stage 1 of the race will provide interesting viewing.
I think that this stage will go to a roadman, as opposed to an out and out sprinter.
Someone like Freire perhaps.

Anticyclone said:

I dont think there is any time bonuses in this years race

Stegmens

Is Rebellin riding? - I havn't seen the full start list.

Voeckler is targetting stage 1

But I think Stage 1 will go to the man who has wore Yellow the last few years after day 1 Fabian Cancellara.

He will do a chrono in the last few km's to take it out.

Man I'm going to miss the prologue - it's been tradition at my house for years for all my mates to come over - we go for a ride in the morning then settle down to a braai (a BBQ for the uninitiated) and watch the riders, TT and TT equipment. We also make ludicrous bets on the tour GCs based on split second shots of the riders (to gauge their form of course), 5km performance (because we all know that any rider who can prologue can climb like a mountain goat) and new equipment (duh - of course Lightweight wheels will allow Thos Hushovd to climb like with Evans).

Call me a spoil sport but I think the first stage will be - suicide breakaway, sprinters teams set pace, peleton catches suicide break away with 15km to go - mass(ish) sprint. The final uphill will provide a few minutes of excitement.

Give me a beer swilling prologue with wild predictions over a sprint any day!

Zabel won on what I understand is the exact same finish 11 years ago, beating a young Frank Vandenbrouke. It was so long ago I friggin swear VDB had downtube shifters on his bike..

I'm tipping Zabel again, from Pozzato and Hushovd.