2008 Tour de France :Stage 11 - Wednesday, July 16: Lannemezan - Foix, 167.5km

limerickman said:
Stage 11 -first day back after the rest day.

Ok, it is said that a rest day can adversely affect the form of the rider, so conventional wisdom is to ride a few hours. Is this really true or is it more likely that some (most?) of the unexpected performance drops in the past should be attributed to possible side effects from doping (say homologous blood doping).

Ah, about the stage. Flecha might take it in a breakaway.

Cobblestones said:
Ok, it is said that a rest day can adversely affect the form of the rider, so conventional wisdom is to ride a few hours. Is this really true or is it more likely that some (most?) of the unexpected performance drops in the past should be attributed to possible side effects from doping (say homologous blood doping).

Ah, about the stage. Flecha might take it in a breakaway.
Yep for the bolded part.

Interesting comments by Kim Kirchen in local press:

I feel much better in the Alps, as we are staying constantly above 1,000 metres. i don't like the Pyrenees, have difficulties to breathe.

I am very happy, have never been in better position after Pyrenees. My aim is clearly top5 in Paris.

In the Alps I will particularly watch, and I'll try to follow Cunego and Valverde (yes, he said it). Menchov, Evans and Schleck will be marked by many others anyway !

Then I'll fight for the green jersey. I'll take part at all sprints, even for minimal points. I don't want to be in a situation, where I fall back in GC after the Alps, then moan: "****, should have fought for the green jersey. Oscar Freire? Freire has got it, but will he finish the Tour?"

Interesting.

adamastor said:
Interesting comments by Kim Kirchen in local press:

I feel much better in the Alps, as we are staying constantly above 1,000 metres. i don't like the Pyrenees, have difficulties to breathe.

I am very happy, have never been in better position after Pyrenees. My aim is clearly top5 in Paris.

In the Alps I will particularly watch, and I'll try to follow Cunego and Valverde (yes, he said it). Menchov, Evans and Schleck will be marked by many others anyway !

Then I'll fight for the green jersey. I'll take part at all sprints, even for minimal points. I don't want to be in a situation, where I fall back in GC after the Alps, then moan: "****, should have fought for the green jersey. Oscar Freire? Freire has got it, but will he finish the Tour?"

Interesting.
That's what I was saying about Kirchen yesterday regarding the Alps. He always rides well in the Alps - but I didn't know the exact reasoning for why he does until now.

So we could see Kirchen venture in a breakaway on one stage! Maybe today? He knows there will be bunch sprints tomorrow and Friday so if he jumps in a break today, then the onus is on all other teams to chase it back and not Columbia so Columbia can be fresh tomorrow?

Surely Flecha tries a break today considering its more likely going to succeed? That Cat 1 climb comes too late to even consider a bunch sprint. If it was earlier on, then I say bunch sprint. But it's 50km from the finish. Too much for the sprinters.

Who is in the break today?

Flecha? Millar? Voeckler? Moncoutie? Martinez? Jalabert? Arroyo? Dessel? Chavanel? Pineau?

Anyone of those guys.

1. Flecha
2. Dessel
3. Millar

Grater said:
Surely Flecha tries a break today considering its more likely going to succeed? That Cat 1 climb comes too late to even consider a bunch sprint. If it was earlier on, then I say bunch sprint. But it's 50km from the finish. Too much for the sprinters.

Who is in the break today?

Flecha? Millar? Voeckler? Moncoutie? Martinez? Jalabert? Arroyo? Dessel? Chavanel? Pineau?

Anyone of those guys.

1. Flecha
2. Dessel
3. Millar
Pozzato? Nibali? Liquigas has not exactly had a stellar Tour so far.

Let's get some pictures in here...

PROFILVIGNETTE.gif

PROFILKMSVIGNETTE.gif

Also you gotto remember who will be leading the Peloton. Silence Lotto. Who is the captain? Evans. And what is Evans famous for? Defence. Therefore what does that equal? Successful breakaway.

Grater said:
Also you gotto remember who will be leading the Peloton. Silence Lotto. Who is the captain? Evans. And what is Evans famous for? Defence. Therefore what does that equal? Successful breakaway.
AFAIK...The leading GC team or even any of the GC'ers are not that concerned about breaks unless a GC threat is in it. They'd probably be happy if no one else gave a **** about the guys in the break fighting it out for the stage. It's those teams that want to win the stage that chase down the GC nobodies in the break.

Crankyfeet said:
AFAIK...The leading GC team or even any of the GC'ers are not that concerned about breaks unless a GC threat is in it. They'd probably be happy if no one else gave a **** about the guys in the break fighting it out for the stage. It's those teams that want to win the stage that chase down the GC nobodies in the break.
Point taken. Long day at work!

If it were a bunch sprint, then the stronger climbers like Zabel and Pozzato may be the guys!

Wegmann is in the break. He is certainly capable of holding on with a little help and taking a stage such as this one.

Interesting tidbit from the official site:

The squad that’s leading the team classification, Saunier Duval has already won three stages this year. That has helped make them the top prize money earners after 10 stages of the 95th edition of the Tour de France.
The allotment of the prize purse so far is as follows:
Saunier Duval-Scott – 50,970 Euros
Team Columbia – 50,680 Euros
Ciasse d’Epargne – 33,970 Euros
Cofidis – 24,550 Euros
Gerolsteiner – 22,360 Euros
Agritubel – 18,200 Euros
Garmin-Chipotle – 17,340 Euros
Francaise des Jeux – 15,710 Euros
Rabobank – 13,890 Euros
Credit Agricole – 13,440 Euros
Bouygues Telecom – 12,760 Euros
Barloworld – 11,700 Euros
AG2R La Mondia – 10,890 Euros
Team CSC-Saxo Bank – 10,630 Euros
Liquigas – 10,440 Euros
Silence-Lotto – 8,270 Euros
Euskaltel-Euskadi – 5,860 Euros
Team Milram – 5,420 Euros
Quickstep – 3,220 Euros
Lampre – 1,050 Euros

Grater said:
So we could see Kirchen venture in a breakaway on one stage! Maybe today? He knows there will be bunch sprints tomorrow and Friday so if he jumps in a break today, then the onus is on all other teams to chase it back and not Columbia so Columbia can be fresh tomorrow?
You really think that he will be allowed to get in a break???

I don't know where our resident commentator TDL is but... I'll stick this in here anyway, knowing that most are following it independently...

From Cyclingnews Live Race Report

Current race situation
  • Filippo Pozzato (Liquigas), Pierrick Fedrigo (Bouygues Telecom), Kurt Asle Arvesen (CSC - Saxo Bank), Alessandro Ballan (Lampre), Alexandre Botcharov and Dmitriy Fofonov (Credit Agricole), Martin Elmiger (Ag2r La Mondiale), Fabian Wegmann (Gerolsteiner), Koos Moerenhout and Pieter Weening (Rabobank), Benoit Vaugrenard (Francaise des Jeux) and Amael Moinard (Cofidis)
  • Vicente Garcia Acosta (Caisse d'Epargne) at 1.05
  • Gert Steegmans (Quick Step) at 1.50
  • Peloton at 5.50
What's Steegmans doing? Surely they (the guys in the break) won't want him catching up to them. Mind you... Pozzato is up there.

They're now giving it as a nine minute (9:00) gap to the peloton and no idea what the gaps of Acosta and Steegmans are...

Crankyfeet said:
I don't know where our resident commentator TDL is but... I'll stick this in here anyway, knowing that most are following it independently...
I'll let others contribute too so that I don't have a monopoly around here. :D