2008 Tour de FRance Stage 12 - Thursday, July 17: Lavelanet - Narbonne, 168.5km



Geoff Vadar

New Member
Feb 13, 2008
1,192
0
0
b1_ said:
Hmm. I'm worried he happened to crash the day the heat got turned up on the drug cheats. One of his team mates has already tested positive. And he's Australian; just can't believe he'd even contemplate doping.
Why? You make it out as though no one with an Australian passport has ever been on the buzz. Granted we are naturally gifted but be a bit realistic. And no I am not making any inference regarding Cooke.
 

b1_

New Member
Mar 28, 2004
145
0
0
49
TheDarkLord said:
Dumoulin and Gerard in the break, but it is almost certain to be caught. The gap is only a bit over 2 minutes and is coming down.

Apparently there's been a tactic employed a few times this year where the break away don't put the full effort in until the peleton starts to chase seriously, then they make a decision whether to go or not. Looks like they decided not this time. Intelligent tactic I think.
 

b1_

New Member
Mar 28, 2004
145
0
0
49
Geoff Vadar said:
Why? You make it out as though no one with an Australian passport has ever been on the buzz. Granted we are naturally gifted but be a bit realistic. And no I am not making any inference regarding Cooke.

Well, have they? I know there was an Australian cyclist who tested positive a few years back but it was for something he thought was legal? Wasn't EPO I'm sure. Any other Australians sportsmen/women tested positive?
 

classic1

Well-Known Member
Jul 29, 2006
11,491
2,085
113
b1_ said:
Hmm. I'm worried he happened to crash the day the heat got turned up on the drug cheats. One of his team mates has already tested positive. And he's Australian; just can't believe he'd even contemplate doping.
LOL
 

TheDarkLord

New Member
Dec 24, 2007
3,887
0
0
The peloton has eased off the gas a little bit and let the break hang out there 1:30 ahead. Dangling a carrot stick to the break? :D
 

TheDarkLord

New Member
Dec 24, 2007
3,887
0
0
Oroz of Euskatel has joined Dumoulin and Gerard at the front who have about 1 min over the peloton. There was absolutely no reaction from the peloton when Oroz attacked.
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
David Millar in an interview two weeks ago, had targetted this stage for a possible win for him.
 

Powerful Pete

New Member
May 29, 2004
3,866
0
0
53
b1_ said:
Well, have they? I know there was an Australian cyclist who tested positive a few years back but it was for something he thought was legal? Wasn't EPO I'm sure. Any other Australians sportsmen/women tested positive?
I recall, but could be wrong, that a few years ago there was a major doping scandal at the Australian Institute of Sport (the title is something like that) re: track cyclists admitting to doping and working with a trainer who knew about it. Am I wrong? I honestly do not remember any details. :confused:
 

b1_

New Member
Mar 28, 2004
145
0
0
49
limerickman said:
David Millar in an interview two weeks ago, had targetted this stage for a possible win for him.

Do you want to lock that one in Limerickman?
 

b1_

New Member
Mar 28, 2004
145
0
0
49
Powerful Pete said:
I recall, but could be wrong, that a few years ago there was a major doping scandal at the Australian Institute of Sport (the title is something like that) re: track cyclists admitting to doping and working with a trainer who knew about it. Am I wrong? I honestly do not remember any details. :confused:

No, you're not wrong. That's what I was referring to. Can't remember the details either. Maybe it's just that no Australian has ever been spectacularly pulled from an event after winning that has me doubting. Maybe Cadel can be our first spectacularrrrrr drug cheat.
 

Bro Deal

New Member
Jun 26, 2006
6,698
4
0
Powerful Pete said:
I recall, but could be wrong, that a few years ago there was a major doping scandal at the Australian Institute of Sport (the title is something like that) re: track cyclists admitting to doping and working with a trainer who knew about it. Am I wrong? I honestly do not remember any details. :confused:
Mark French and his sharps bucket.
 

b1_

New Member
Mar 28, 2004
145
0
0
49
67km/h. They've stepped on the gas after that corner. Tail wind into the finish.
 

TheDarkLord

New Member
Dec 24, 2007
3,887
0
0
b1_ said:
67km/h. They've stepped on the gas after that corner. Tail wind into the finish.
About time too. Only around 16 km to the finish, and it is time to reel in the escapees. Gap a bit over 30 sec.
 

Geoff Vadar

New Member
Feb 13, 2008
1,192
0
0
b1_ said:
No, you're not wrong. That's what I was referring to. Can't remember the details either. Maybe it's just that no Australian has ever been spectacularly pulled from an event after winning that has me doubting. Maybe Cadel can be our first spectacularrrrrr drug cheat.
head_in_sand.jpg


Here is a bedtime lullaby for you:

There once was a football team,
the year was 1992,
not only was there a club wide doping platform,
but the league knew all about it,
no one cared as the growth of the sport was more important,
**** happens.

Wow I have got some serious lullaby talent.
 

TheDarkLord

New Member
Dec 24, 2007
3,887
0
0
Escapees caught.

Edit: For a while, Evans was spending time near the head of the peloton! CSC was setting the pace for a while, although now Liquigas and Columbia have mostly taken over. However, no single team is dominating...
 

TheDarkLord

New Member
Dec 24, 2007
3,887
0
0
Another win for Cavendish! Followed by S. Chavanel, Steegmans, Zabel and Freire. No Kirchen Grater. ;)
 

classic1

Well-Known Member
Jul 29, 2006
11,491
2,085
113
Excellent win by Cavendish, doing a great impersonation of 'the mummy' at the same time.
 

b1_

New Member
Mar 28, 2004
145
0
0
49
TheDarkLord said:
Another win for Cavendish!

Obviously a drug cheat then.

Edit: I'm getting cynical. I wonder why.

Geoff Vadar said:
the year was 1992,

And if I remember my history there was an Aussie sporting drug scandal in 1876 aswell.