2008 Tour de FRance Stage 12 - Thursday, July 17: Lavelanet - Narbonne, 168.5km

b1_ said:
Hmm. I'm worried he happened to crash the day the heat got turned up on the drug cheats. One of his team mates has already tested positive. And he's Australian; just can't believe he'd even contemplate doping.
Why? You make it out as though no one with an Australian passport has ever been on the buzz. Granted we are naturally gifted but be a bit realistic. And no I am not making any inference regarding Cooke.

TheDarkLord said:
Dumoulin and Gerard in the break, but it is almost certain to be caught. The gap is only a bit over 2 minutes and is coming down.

Apparently there's been a tactic employed a few times this year where the break away don't put the full effort in until the peleton starts to chase seriously, then they make a decision whether to go or not. Looks like they decided not this time. Intelligent tactic I think.

Geoff Vadar said:
Why? You make it out as though no one with an Australian passport has ever been on the buzz. Granted we are naturally gifted but be a bit realistic. And no I am not making any inference regarding Cooke.

Well, have they? I know there was an Australian cyclist who tested positive a few years back but it was for something he thought was legal? Wasn't EPO I'm sure. Any other Australians sportsmen/women tested positive?

b1_ said:
Hmm. I'm worried he happened to crash the day the heat got turned up on the drug cheats. One of his team mates has already tested positive. And he's Australian; just can't believe he'd even contemplate doping.
LOL

The peloton has eased off the gas a little bit and let the break hang out there 1:30 ahead. Dangling a carrot stick to the break? :D

Oroz of Euskatel has joined Dumoulin and Gerard at the front who have about 1 min over the peloton. There was absolutely no reaction from the peloton when Oroz attacked.

David Millar in an interview two weeks ago, had targetted this stage for a possible win for him.

b1_ said:
Well, have they? I know there was an Australian cyclist who tested positive a few years back but it was for something he thought was legal? Wasn't EPO I'm sure. Any other Australians sportsmen/women tested positive?
I recall, but could be wrong, that a few years ago there was a major doping scandal at the Australian Institute of Sport (the title is something like that) re: track cyclists admitting to doping and working with a trainer who knew about it. Am I wrong? I honestly do not remember any details. :confused:

limerickman said:
David Millar in an interview two weeks ago, had targetted this stage for a possible win for him.

Do you want to lock that one in Limerickman?

Powerful Pete said:
I recall, but could be wrong, that a few years ago there was a major doping scandal at the Australian Institute of Sport (the title is something like that) re: track cyclists admitting to doping and working with a trainer who knew about it. Am I wrong? I honestly do not remember any details. :confused:

No, you're not wrong. That's what I was referring to. Can't remember the details either. Maybe it's just that no Australian has ever been spectacularly pulled from an event after winning that has me doubting. Maybe Cadel can be our first spectacularrrrrr drug cheat.

Powerful Pete said:
Mark French and his sharps bucket.

67km/h. They've stepped on the gas after that corner. Tail wind into the finish.

b1_ said:
67km/h. They've stepped on the gas after that corner. Tail wind into the finish.
About time too. Only around 16 km to the finish, and it is time to reel in the escapees. Gap a bit over 30 sec.

b1_ said:
No, you're not wrong. That's what I was referring to. Can't remember the details either. Maybe it's just that no Australian has ever been spectacularly pulled from an event after winning that has me doubting. Maybe Cadel can be our first spectacularrrrrr drug cheat.
head_in_sand.jpg

Here is a bedtime lullaby for you:

There once was a football team,
the year was 1992,
not only was there a club wide doping platform,
but the league knew all about it,
no one cared as the growth of the sport was more important,
**** happens.

Wow I have got some serious lullaby talent.

Escapees caught.

Edit: For a while, Evans was spending time near the head of the peloton! CSC was setting the pace for a while, although now Liquigas and Columbia have mostly taken over. However, no single team is dominating...

Another win for Cavendish! Followed by S. Chavanel, Steegmans, Zabel and Freire. No Kirchen Grater. ;)

Excellent win by Cavendish, doing a great impersonation of 'the mummy' at the same time.

TheDarkLord said:
Another win for Cavendish!

Obviously a drug cheat then.

Edit: I'm getting cynical. I wonder why.

Geoff Vadar said:
the year was 1992,

And if I remember my history there was an Aussie sporting drug scandal in 1876 aswell.