2008 Tour de France : Stage 14 - Saturday, July 19: Nîmes - Digne les Bains, 194.5km

Gosh thats cynical! He's 123rd on GC and the only time i can remember him coming to the fore was on the aspin day. He didnt really amaze on that day - would seem more likely that he is just tired after all the racing:)

The four riders up front are Sandy Casar (Française des Jeux), William Bonnet (Crédit Agricole), Bram Tankink (Rabobank) and Iván Gutiérrez (Caisse d'Epargne). They are being dangled a carrot stick from the peloton who are keeping them around 2:00 ahead of them, although the gap seems to be coming down with 40 km to go (gap at present moment = 1:10).

Considering that the escapees will almost surely be reeled in, how do people read the race? Will the peloton be together up to the finish and lead to a bunch sprint? Or will the cat 4 climb cause someone to attack?

I t looks nice for Evans' boys. They need to take it easy to prepare for tomorrow.

Gutierrez has attacked and has a 20 sec lead over the others. However, he is only 1 min ahead of the peloton.

TheDarkLord said:
Considering that the escapees will almost surely be reeled in, how do people read the race? Will the peloton be together up to the finish and lead to a bunch sprint? Or will the cat 4 climb cause someone to attack?
Probably teams with fast riders a' la Freire/Zabel/Pozzato will do everything to drop Cavendish to have a shot with their own riders.

Powerful Pete said:
Probably teams with fast riders a' la Freire/Zabel/Pozzato will do everything to drop Cavendish to have a shot with their own riders.
Cav is also breathing down Freire in the points table and if he continues his performance he may very well take the green jersey.

Freire gets it! Zabel looked in good position, but was outrun by Freire.

Freire followed by Duque followed by Zabel. So, for now, Freire tightens his grip on the green jersey.

Klodifan said:
soooo close for zabel :(

A little better lead out and he would have had it, his leadout ran out too early. This is encouraging though, Zabel is looking better and better, experience helps in the latter stages. I just notice, that Zabel was in the Top 50 on the GC, definately not something I would expect.