2008 Tour De France Stage 15 - Sunday, July 20: Embrun - Prato Nevoso, 183km



Drongo

New Member
Nov 28, 2007
316
0
0
Crankyfeet said:
As Drongo and classic said, my take also is Australia is conservative, yet also socialistic (comparitive to America... not to Europe).

IMHO....Links to the UK are largely hypothetical... the Queen has only intervened once that I can remember (sacking Prime Minister Gough Whitlam in 1975 when the Senate was blocking supply bills to pass and the country was in an economic mess ... though not that different from the mess the rest of the world was in .... it was a very divisive action though).
Come now, Cranky. That wasn't the UK or the Queen. It was Sir John Kerr, G-G, Australian enough to be born in Balmain and to get drunk on Melbourne Cup Day. (Not sure about the predilection for top hats. Where did that come from?)

Kerr made the decision, the Queen didn't, although he is supposed to have asked Garfield Barwick what he thought he should do. No surprises as to the response.

One school of thought says that each of Whitlam and Kerr had power to dismiss the other, and Kerr dismissed Whitlam before Whitlam could sack Kerr. What an odd way to run a country.

It wasn't the first time a Governor or Governor-General has used the reserve powers, either. Philip Game sacked Jack Lang in 1932 or thereabouts. Jack Lang: there's a man who really didn't like the Poms.
 

Bro Deal

New Member
Jun 26, 2006
6,698
4
0
classic1 said:
I don't know. You are better placed than me to make comments on the lack of awareness of the wider world and general ignorance of the average seppo.
It's that Australia is so insignificant that we don't think about it much--if it at all. It's just that big island thing at the bottom of the map that has problems with sharks. If it were not for the Croc Hunter, awareness of it would be on par with Zanzibar and Timbuktu.
 

whiteboytrash

New Member
Mar 9, 2005
5,402
0
0
Bro Deal said:
It's that Australia is so insignificant that we don't think about it much--if it at all. It's just that big island thing at the bottom of the map that has problems with sharks. If it were not for the Croc Hunter, awareness of it would be on par with Zanzibar and Timbuktu.
Agreed. And what a time for Gerrans to steal the stage. Just when he has had some braces fitted to horn in those awful buck teeth of his. What is it with aussie cyclists ? Cadel looks like was sporned from inbreeding and Gerrans looks like he is a fully grown woman in a 12 year old boys body.
 

rob of the og

New Member
Nov 20, 2003
253
0
0
Crankyfeet said:
The main thing IMO that favoured being part of the Commonwealth was that the UK provided defense support in the event Australia was attacked. The downsides were hardly noticed as the UK didn't interfere in politics (barring 1975). The Monarchy has gradually become more ceremonial and symbolic even to people in the UK, however they pay taxes to support it, Australia doesn't. The need for links to the UK are becoming less relevant IMHO. It will die eventually. The reason it hasn't is because it doesn't cost Aussies much to stay linked. It is largely just a matter of principle and self reliance. To be independent. Officially.

Surely the real reason is that you like kicking ass every 4 years at the Commie Games?
 

Drongo

New Member
Nov 28, 2007
316
0
0
whiteboytrash said:
Agreed. And what a time for Gerrans to steal the stage. Just when he has had some braces fitted to horn in those awful buck teeth of his. What is it with aussie cyclists ? Cadel looks like was sporned from inbreeding and Gerrans looks like he is a fully grown woman in a 12 year old boys body.
Should Gerrans be more like Robert Millar, then?

There are odd-looking cyclists of every nationality. Not every Columbian looks like Soler; not every Brit looks like Wiggins. TG.
 

Eldron

New Member
Jan 24, 2002
968
2
0
b1_ said:
I preferred you when you were a hardass...and not wearing diapers...or singing.

I'm a bit concerned about thoughtforfood myself - I think he's off the steroids or summin.

I preferred him aggressive too - who's signature had the quote about foody working in profanity and not clay??? Classic!

He was even nice to me - next he'll be saying how good Evans looked in yellow...
 

thunder

New Member
Jan 8, 2006
3,214
0
36
whiteboytrash said:
Agreed. And what a time for Gerrans to steal the stage. Just when he has had some braces fitted to horn in those awful buck teeth of his. What is it with aussie cyclists ? Cadel looks like was sporned from inbreeding and Gerrans looks like he is a fully grown woman in a 12 year old boys body.
mate, he does not have buckteeth you ****wit.

Now, if you wish to infer it might be from HGH, or he just never had the advantage of teeth straightening in his youth, so be it.

The low bodyfat distorts his face with the cheeks disappearing. But the buckteeth comment is ****.
 

Crankyfeet

New Member
Jun 5, 2007
10,817
0
36
whiteboytrash said:
Agreed. And what a time for Gerrans to steal the stage. Just when he has had some braces fitted to horn in those awful buck teeth of his. What is it with aussie cyclists ? Cadel looks like was sporned from inbreeding and Gerrans looks like he is a fully grown woman in a 12 year old boys body.
Unlike the male models that abound in British Cycling. Brad Wiggins... David Millar....
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif


Problem is many Australians are descended from British stock (not great British stock either...
tongue.gif
)... so we struggle with that genetic disposition for bad teeth and pallid skinned fugliness...
frown.gif
 

Crankyfeet

New Member
Jun 5, 2007
10,817
0
36
Drongo said:
Come now, Cranky. That wasn't the UK or the Queen. It was Sir John Kerr, G-G, Australian enough to be born in Balmain and to get drunk on Melbourne Cup Day. (Not sure about the predilection for top hats. Where did that come from?)

Kerr made the decision, the Queen didn't, although he is supposed to have asked Garfield Barwick what he thought he should do. No surprises as to the response.

One school of thought says that each of Whitlam and Kerr had power to dismiss the other, and Kerr dismissed Whitlam before Whitlam could sack Kerr. What an odd way to run a country.

It wasn't the first time a Governor or Governor-General has used the reserve powers, either. Philip Game sacked Jack Lang in 1932 or thereabouts. Jack Lang: there's a man who really didn't like the Poms.
The guy in the heirarchy who came up with the idea wasn't my point. It was the monarchial executive power that is the issue and the power that Kerr used in that instance.

Thanks for the other info...
wink.gif
 

whiteboytrash

New Member
Mar 9, 2005
5,402
0
0
thunder said:
mate, he does not have buckteeth you ****wit.

Now, if you wish to infer it might be from HGH, or he just never had the advantage of teeth straightening in his youth, so be it.

The low bodyfat distorts his face with the cheeks disappearing. But the buckteeth comment is ****.
Yes but the high pitched voice of Gerrens suggests that he is indeed a woman and not a male athlete on HGH. Maybe he is Jennie Longo in disguise ? or Robolongo... a sophisticated female cycling robot sent back in time to win male cycling events. The ones she could never win in her own time ?
 

classic1

Well-Known Member
Jul 29, 2006
11,491
2,085
113
Bro Deal said:
It's that Australia is so insignificant that we don't think about it much--if it at all. It's just that big island thing at the bottom of the map that has problems with sharks. If it were not for the Croc Hunter, awareness of it would be on par with Zanzibar and Timbuktu.
No, the problem is seppos don't think much full stop. Fortunately if Australia ever upset the US the seppos are likely to nuke Austria or something out of plain ignorance.
 

classic1

Well-Known Member
Jul 29, 2006
11,491
2,085
113
Crankyfeet said:
Unlike the male models that abound in British Cycling. Brad Wiggins... David Millar....
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
Cavendish .... lol. What is it with poms and acne? Is acne a fashion accessory in the UK or something?
 

Jono L

Well-Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
4,434
124
48
Bro Deal said:
It's that Australia is so insignificant that we don't think about it much--if it at all.
Oh no you don't think about us! Well that's triggered my inferiority complex.:rolleyes:
 

Jono L

Well-Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
4,434
124
48
Crankyfeet said:
The reason it hasn't is because it doesn't cost Aussies much to stay linked. It is largely just a matter of principle and self reliance. To be independent. Officially.
And if we become a republic- which is just *yawn* faaar too much effort- we run the risk of having a ridiculously drawn out presidential race....
 

Crockett

New Member
Mar 19, 2008
34
0
0
classic1 said:
Born in the US

Born in Hawaii

Nobody under the age of 25 knows who he is or what the Thunderdome is.
Classic1 will have negative comments about everyone until you say "Dale Thomas."