2008 Tour De France Stage 15 - Sunday, July 20: Embrun - Prato Nevoso, 183km

thoughtforfood said:
Funny, my other thought was that his team was informed that there was a good chance he would be tested today.....randomly <cough> <cough>
Maybe he is wanted in Italy for some crime?

To the Aussie contengent (Cranky, b1, Thunder, whoever else). I appologize for the "*****" comment. I was sore that Pate was beaten. IF need be, I will tape myself standing on a chair in diapers singing the Australian National Anthem (I guess you guys have one....is it that Foster's song?).

thoughtforfood said:
To the Aussie contengent (Cranky, b1, Thunder, whoever else). I appologize for the "*****" comment. I was sore that Pate was beaten. IF need be, I will tape myself standing on a chair in diapers singing the Australian National Anthem (I guess you guys have one....is it that Foster's song?).
Holding a stuffed lion.

thoughtforfood said:
No. Here is the Commonwealth of Australia's national anthem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePrP8t56eww

thoughtforfood said:
They said it had just started raining on that section, and if there was any oil, that is the worst time. It floated to the top and hadn't washed off yet.

Really too bad because it looked like the others were all looking to see who would chase it down. I haven't heard anyting about a brused gut (would make sense), but if it isn't top bad, he does have a rest day. It was also nice to see they waited for him. He didn't appear to have any punch after that. (either because he blew his load, or he was hurt)
Andy Schleck was right behind him, covering for Frank and Sastre. Difficult at that moment to get away.

Cooment from Jef Bernard (French ex-rider of the 80's) on www.lequipe.fr where he holds a little daily column:

"Gerrans could very well manage his weakness, and beat the 2 others in the last 150 metres. I am just surprised Egoi Martinez could not get rid of Pate and Gerrans in the uphill, like he would have a few years ago." :D:D:D

One of the great stages today.

Re-watched it again tonight on Eurosport.
Todays stage had everything.
Menchov in his bid to break Evans, crashes.
Schleck and Sastre playing poker with Evans.
Valverde trying to salvage his TDF.
Great climbing by the Liquigas youngster.
Superb climbing by Kohl.

Great stage.

I've got to agree with Roche who said on ES that it is probably in Evans interest to relinquish the jersey now.
This removes the need for him to try to defend it in the next two days.
I think Roche makes a very astute point.

Menchov looks really strong and we should talk more about him (I have impression he's underrated).
Last TT will decide the winner, I have no doubts now. Who didn't watch 1989 final TT - now will have a chance to watch it's replica... But with few more GC contenders in the game (as it stands for now).
And about Evans' style... I see it very similar to Indurain's.
Strong TTing, following in the mountains. Nothing bad with that, Anquetil was even better example.
And I should underline that Evans climbs better than these two (but isn't so dominant in TTs).
So, from cycling point of view, there's no reason to dislike him.

Andrija said:
Menchov looks really strong and we should talk more about him (I have impression he's underrated).
Last TT will decide the winner, I have no doubts now. Who didn't watch 1989 final TT - now will have a chance to watch it's replica... But with few more GC contenders in the game (as it stands for now).
Strong TTing, following in the mountains. Nothing bad with that, Anquetil was even better example.
And I should underline that Evans climbs better than these two (but isn't so dominant in TTs).
Yea, you are right there are other reasons to dislike him.

thoughtforfood said:
Yea, you are right there are other reasons to dislike him.
I won't argue with that... He could use some PR adviser, or something like that.

Andrija said:

I agree. To be honest I think this is a cracking Tour. I still have no idea who is going to win. Evans looks ok but he is vulnerable. Mechov now and then shows some strength but then drops off ever so slightly. F-Shleck looks like he really wants to win it but you get the feeling something is holding him back. His TT'ing maybe or maybe just his head. Sastre is there but spends way too much time at the back of the lead group and Valverde has shown us he can put in a top performance for a day then drops back. Kohl looks strong but I don't think he's ready to win a Tour and everyday could be his last before he blows. So with all that I still have no idea who is going to win. Along with all of that CSC are far stronger than any other team but it doesn't help them a hell of a lot. Yes they shell a load of riders out the back before the last climb of the day but it doesn't gain their guys minutes over their rivals. This sure beat doped up riders kicking off the front of packs gaining 4-5 minutes on everyone else. I like the real Tour.

6 riders within 50 seconds, with one more uphill finish and a TT.
You don't even need to watch the race to see it's most exciting in years (ever maybe).

fscyclist said:
I didn't say that. I like watching champion(s) race. Even in the LA era, he dominated, but he had to compete against great riders such as Ullrich and Pantani. Indurain had to battle Zulle, Rominger, Riis etc... Lemond vs. Fignon and Delgado. Everyone I mentioned was a great rider. I just don't see anyone in this year's tour who strikes me as a great cyclist, with the exception of Valverde at the right moments. The rest can't hold a candle to the names I just mentioned. I do think Contador has the making of a great rider, but alas he isn't in this tour; the same with Basso. Wouldn't it be exciting if those two were also in this thing?
ita. add in chicken, ulle, landis, vino, kash and, or course, andreas :D

ETA: and kessler!

fscyclist said:
I didn't say that. I like watching champion(s) race. Even in the LA era, he dominated, but he had to compete against great riders such as Ullrich and Pantani. Indurain had to battle Zulle, Rominger, Riis etc... Lemond vs. Fignon and Delgado. Everyone I mentioned was a great rider. I just don't see anyone in this year's tour who strikes me as a great cyclist, with the exception of Valverde at the right moments. The rest can't hold a candle to the names I just mentioned. I do think Contador has the making of a great rider, but alas he isn't in this tour; the same with Basso. Wouldn't it be exciting if those two were also in this thing?

Contador and Basso will be back next year I'm sure.

ad9898 said:
Contador and Basso will be back next year I'm sure.
WBT posted in another thread that Basso will not be there for the next Tour. But then there is one full year for the next Tour, and who knows how things may change.