2008 Tour de France Stage 16 - Tuesday, July 22: Cuneo - Jausiers, 157 km

serpico7 said:
Popo sure seems to be spending a lot of time at the front of the chase group. If he really wanted to be ready to help Cadel, shouldn't he conserving energy for when the yellow jersey group catches up?
Popo is thinking, "Hey, Evans, remember Paris-Nice? The shoe is on the other foot this time, *****."

Schumacher caught and will probably be spat off the back of the front chase group. 3:30 to yellow jersey. Arvesen is blown. I think A. Schleck is at the front now.

I wish the moto camera would slowly pan downthe yellow jersey group so we could see how everyone is handling the pace. From what little I can see Evans looks like he is climbing like he does when he is near maxed out.

EDIT: Well, maybe not.

Attacks beginning in the yellow jersey group. Piti attacks and Kirchen is dropped. The pace slows down though and Kirchen is back.

Someone needs to tell Voigt he's going up a mountain.

Edit: Ah, well actually he's not. Looks like they planned this Voigt pace making specifically for this short shallow bit of the climb. Bloody CSC are thinking of everything.

Klodifan said:
someone needs to attack already
Amen.

I figure if they attack and put the hurt on Cadel, it will really shake his confidence going into tomorrow, especially given that Popo has basically abandoned him.

Nice attack by Augustyn. Everyone else seems to be suffering. He has finally crested. What a climb!

serpico7 said:
Amen.

I figure if they attack and put the hurt on Cadel, it will really shake his confidence going into tomorrow, especially given that Popo has basically abandoned him.
exactly. so far, this has been underwhelming, and I think they will look back on this as a missed opportunity.

Any attacks would be wasted. The descent will eat them up.

Popo is riding for Cadel. Just like everyone else in the front group who have a leader in the yellow group.