2008 Tour de France Stage 16 - Tuesday, July 22: Cuneo - Jausiers, 157 km

TheDarkLord

Dec 24, 2007
Stage profile

PROFIL.gif

thoughtforfood said:
You work for the NSA?
"I do not work for the NSA (or any other named division of an intelligence agency). I work for a small re-insurance underwriting firm in my city."

earth_dweller said:
"I do not work for the NSA (or any other named division of an intelligence agency). I work for a small re-insurance underwriting firm in my city."
So you insurance people really do keep closer tabs on us than I thought...

I wonder how that noted descender, Frank Schleck, will handle this.

Valverde goes fast downhill. If he were in better form, I'd tip him. I reckon another break goes and stays away. Caisse will try to put LL Sanchez in it, perhaps.

Bro Deal said:
It's a camel stage.

What is the weather supposed to be like? Rain on the final downhill could be interesting.
I googled the Tdf weather forecast and it showed sunny weather for Tuesday's stage.

If the GC men/teams really start going for this from the start then there will be a number of people more worried than usual about not making the time limit. I always think these shorter stages are harder from this point of view as on a long stage they dont normally start racing on the first climb(s)

Interesting point. However, in my Alpine climbing days a few (ok, a lot) years back I did not really notice the altitude (IIRC the highest climb I did was the Iseran). What really got me were the descents, and how you were constantly risking your life no matter how careful you were.

Of course, we were riding tubulars then and always terrorised of melting the glue and having the tubular slide on the rim...

Are any of you people going to talk about the stage? I reckon there will be bodies everywhere and the stage will open up the race.

The Restefond is a friggin MONSTER. Remember Robert Millars epic up the climb in the 93 Tour? The chase group was Indurain, Rominger, Jaskula, Meija IIRC, with Rominger taking the win. There were blokes spread out across the Alps from ******** to breakfast.

BTW, Millar dropped Delgado on the Restefond IIRC. He also beat him in stage in the 89 Tour and held him off in a stage in the 83 Tour after Delgado made a kamakazi descent. But the 85 Vuelta made up for it all for Delgado. :p