2008 Tour de France Stage 16 - Tuesday, July 22: Cuneo - Jausiers, 157 km

Klodifan said:
of couse, I could have misheard him, but it definitely sounded like VandeVelde said he was hoping the others crash too.
def didn't say that. I have it taped on my tivo. He said "Cofidis rider crashed too" Not "hope they would crash too"... The cofidis rider was maxime momfort..who also crashed.

mogulhead said:
It seemed to me that Frank just didn't have it today. It looked like Sastre, I think, went to attack and was told to can it by Frank. Either that or Sastre is to stupid to remember team orders, even with Riis yelling them in his ear.

I thought Cadel did an excellent job driving most of the descent. Did anyone else see him nearly go over the edge near the start of the descent.
Sastre tried, but saw (was it Kohl?) hold on to him. As he didn't feel too strong, he preferred to stay put with Andy and Frank. As Frank was in a **** shape, they didn't want to cause chaos in the group. Shame, this would have made the highlight of the Tour, as there we would have clearly seen who is the strongest.

Alpe d'Huez will be different, but in the end, 3 or 4 of the contenders will end up within 2 minutes, and Cadel will win it on Saturday. Only other alternative I see is Kohl putting 3 minutes in Alpe today. He looks really strong. I'm just disappointed that Andy will probably again stay with his brother. After the Tour, experts might actually say that this brotherhood "cause" will have cost CSC the TDF win in Paris.

EvilJediJ said:
def didn't say that. I have it taped on my tivo. He said "Cofidis rider crashed too" Not "hope they would crash too"... The cofidis rider was maxime momfort..who also crashed.
yep he said 'cofidis guy crashed too'

Grater said:
Never ever doubt me. 3 in the break including Siutsou. I know this team inside out.
The problem, Grater, is that no-one is sure if you know that there are other teams.

I'll doubt you when you pick a Columbia 1-2-3 as you did for Stage 12.

adamastor said:
Sastre tried, but saw (was it Kohl?) hold on to him. As he didn't feel too strong, he preferred to stay put with Andy and Frank. As Frank was in a **** shape, they didn't want to cause chaos in the group. Shame, this would have made the highlight of the Tour, as there we would have clearly seen who is the strongest.
It was Kohl. Straight on to his wheel. Sastre didn't even get past Andy Schleck before giving up. The others would have had to scramble, but Kohl was straight there. Evans moved up in the group after he saw the attacks might start.

But there are other explanations that make sense (that is, why no attacks), eg from Riis, quoted on the SBS site:
"To be honest I expected him (Evans) to stay with us today. There was a lot of wind so it's just easy to sit on the wheels," said Riis.

"Everybody suffered a lot today, everybody made a lot of sacrifices and some will pay for that in their legs tomorrow. But hopefully not us."

Asked how Schleck or Sastre would deal with Evans on Wednesday, Riis was unequivocal.

"If you want to win the Tour you need to beat him, you need to drop him for sure because he's the fastest (of the contenders) in the time trial," added the Dane.

"I think the big battle will be on the Alpe d'Huez, but after the Galibier and the Croix de Fer if you're suffering on the Alpe d'Huez you can really lose a few minutes.

"If you go too deep today, you pay for it tomorrow."

b1_ said:
Seriously, what telecast are you watching and who are the commentators, because on the one I'm watching all this is being explained.
I see. So, those are not your comments, they are what the commentators have been saying in your telecast (and we have had enough examples of their stupid comments in this forum). I can make my own opinions based on what I see thank you, and also the Eurosport commentary is intelligent enough to not make stupid comments like that.

b1_ said:
He did want the break to succeed. As long as no-one in it was a threat to Cadel Lotto would have been happy to see Popovych take the stage - would have been a good morale boost for the next stage. Of course Lotto would want Popo to save his energy but he was needed in the break away all the way to the top of the last climb. There's no point him dropping back to save energy on the descent, so he was free to go for the win.

Confusedfan explained it pretty well. Popo was not needed by Cadel today. If Cadel had cracked you would have seen Popo drop back immediately. Popo has been paid a lot of money to support Cadel. Even if he hates Cadel's guts he's not going to sabotage his own career by rebelling against team orders. These guys are professionals.

Seriously, what telecast are you watching and who are the commentators, because on the one I'm watching all this is being explained.
I'm in agreeance with a lot of your posts. Dont let the others annoy you there all **** stirrers, it's part and parcel of posting here!!

Cadel did well Yesterday and I hope he does the same today, Popo in my opinion and as I posted earlier in the thread has done nothing in this tour so far purely because he hasn't been needed. He wqas there if needed yesterday and I think the same will go for today!!

EvilJediJ said:
Ok, thanks for clarifying that! Given how sportsmanlike they have been, it was totally odd that someone would make such a comment.

TheDarkLord said:
I can make my own opinions based on what I see thank you, and also the Eurosport commentary is intelligent enough to not make stupid comments like that.

I would suggest you not make up your own opinions; but if you insist, put your Cadel-hate aside for one moment and you might find yourself starting to make sense.

Scotttri said:
I'm in agreeance with a lot of your posts. Dont let the others annoy you there all **** stirrers, it's part and parcel of posting here!!

I am aware of the baiting going on and I avoid replying to it. But if they post what I see as inaccurate stuff I'm happy to correct them. I don't hold out hope they will take it on board but there are others reading these threads.

b1_ said:
I would suggest you not make up your own opinions; but if you insist, put your Cadel-hate aside for one moment and you might find yourself starting to make sense.

I am aware of the baiting going on and I avoid replying to it. But if they post what I see as inaccurate stuff I'm happy to correct them. I don't hold out hope they will take it on board but there are others reading these threads.
See the thing is, it's us and them. Not to many people want too see an Aussie win the tour, just like no one wanted to see a yank win the tour. It's a european sport and europeans should win it. I say f*#k the lot of them and go cadel. :p

Scotttri said:
See the thing is, it's us and them. Not to many people want too see an Aussie win the tour, just like no one wanted to see a yank win the tour. It's a european sport and europeans should win it. I say f*#k the lot of them and go cadel. :p
It has nothing to do with not wanting an Aussie to win for me. It has everything to do with the fact that his is a smarmy little baby. I wouldn't want him to win if he were American, my cousin, or in any configuration. Rogers, I would love to see win. Cadel, I would love to see punched in his wussy little mouth.

b1_ said:

I can say the same about you. What is annoying is when you see every critique as a hater. But whatever. BTW, if you have noticed, it is only a minority of you Cadel lovers who agree on Popo yesterday, and the majority of others (many of whom are not haters including me) don't. Anyway, no point arguing with you about this. I should just ignore drivel as others are doing.

TheDarkLord said:
I can say the same about you. What is annoying is when you see every critique as a hater. But whatever. BTW, if you have noticed, it is only a minority of you Cadel lovers who agree on Popo yesterday, and the majority of others (many of whom are not haters including me) don't. Anyway, no point arguing with you about this. I should just ignore drivel as others are doing.
Exactly so bugger off :p :p
icon10.gif

thoughtforfood said:
It has nothing to do with not wanting an Aussie to win for me. It has everything to do with the fact that his is a smarmy little baby. I wouldn't want him to win if he were American, my cousin, or in any configuration. Rogers, I would love to see win. Cadel, I would love to see punched in his wussy little mouth.
I know i'm stirring, and to be honest i'd prefer rodgers to win, but hey he's an Aussie and it's never been done befor...........so if he does it we'll take it!! He's a bit of a Panzy though!!

Scotttri said:

I don't think it's the Aussie thing this time - you don't really see that unless there are New Zealander's or Brits involved. I think it's a combination of some kind of juvenile school yard bully nerd proximity thing, and a dislike of defensive tactics, something I do understand. I liken it to watching a defensive Germany win the World Cup against a flamboyant South American team - I've been there and not enjoyed it. What I find funny is the conspiracy theories they're coming up with to feed their own fantasy - oh noes Cadel wants everyone to crash; oh yays Cadel's team mates are abandoning him; oh noes Cadel eats babies. :rolleyes:

b1_ said:
I don't think it's the Aussie thing this time - you don't really see that unless there are New Zealander's or Brits involved. I think it's a combination of some kind of juvenile school yard bully nerd proximity thing, and a dislike of defensive tactics, something I do understand. I liken it to watching a defensive Germany win the World Cup against a flamboyant South American team - I've been there and not enjoyed it. What I find funny is the conspiracy theories they're coming up with to feed their own fantasy - oh noes Cadel wants everyone to crash; oh yays Cadel's team mates are abandoning him; oh noes Cadel eats babies. :rolleyes:
NO, it is because he is a smarmy little *****...seriously.

thoughtforfood said:
NO, it is because he is a smarmy little *****...seriously.
LMAO!!

It's always us and them, as it is for any true country men or women of any country. It's just even more so for the poms..................cause hey everyone likes to see the poms lose!!!!
icon10.gif

TheDarkLord said:
Unless mentioned otherwise, wheelsucker = Evans. ;) :p

So are you going to call the train behind evans on the way down the mountain in stage 16 and on the way up alp d huez today wheel suckers or would that go against your prejudices?