2008 Tour de France Stage 17 - Wednesday, July 23: Embrun - L'Alpe-d'Huez, 210.5 km

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by TheDarkLord, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

The tactic for Sastre and team was to control the chase group (Evans), try and contain him and not drag him any closer across the gap.
    If they had been able to place a man in a break that could have survived until the last few miles of the climb he may have been able to aid Sastre.

2. serpico7

serpico7 New Member

That makes sense, thanks.

3. b1_

b1_ New Member

Here's previous TdF individual time trials Evans v Sastre:

2005 Stage 1 - 19km
    Sastre +0.09

2005 Stage 20 - 55km
    Evans +1.04

2006 Stage 7 - 52km
    Evans +0.22

2006 Stage 19 - 57km
    Evans +1.01

2007 Stage 13 - 54km
    Evans +2.47

2007 Stage 19 - 55km
    Evans +2.33

2008 Stage 4 - 29km
    Evans +1.24

If it was two years ago you'd say Sastre could do it, but on recent form Cadel has it.

4. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord New Member

You also have to take into account the stage profile.

5. ad9898

ad9898 New Member

To me I would start to put some money on Sastre, Evans does weaken towards the end of the tour and again I will say, this is probably his best chance ever to win the tour, psychologically with yellow jersey I think he will stay within the time needed to beat Evans

The guy deserves it after today, that was a real gutsy ride and don't forget who ever has had the yellow jersey on the Alpe has won the tour.

6. Bikeridindude

Bikeridindude New Member

Riis is a smart dude, they put all their eggs in Sastre's basket. I didn't make any sense to go with either of the Schlecks, neither one of them can TT worth beans. (Not that Sastre is good) Nobody in the chase group really had the nuts to spend any time at the front, that made it work so well. CSC did an excellent job today, the only screw-up was Sastre spending so much time showing his armpits to the crowd instead of pedalling hard.

7. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord New Member

We'll see. If he loses by a big margin in the ITT, it wouldn't matter. But if he loses by a couple of seconds, then one could say that his soft-riding to the finish was his downfall.

8. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

One point to note about Sastre; he has barely been in the wind for the entire Tour bar the Hautecam stage. They have covered him well. He'll be fresh for the time trial.

9. thoughtforfood

thoughtforfood New Member

Cadel doesn't have an explosive attack in him on a mountain stage. That has been shown over the past 2 years especially. What he did do today was go to the front when he needed to and limit the time gained by Sastre. Evans is a strong rider who knows his strengths and doesn't exceed what he knows he cannot do. He is an impetious child off the bike, but on the bike, he doesn't let emotion cause him to do things he knows will threaten his chances later. He rides smart. It isn't flashy, it isn't exciting, it sometimes means he sucks wheels, but he always puts himself in the best position he can to win. I will give him that.

As long as he doesn't do something childish from now until Sunday, I am back of the mind that based on strength, he deserves to win. In reality, I don't know that I can really say I am rooting for Sastre all that much. I am suspicious of the showing of CSC in some respects.

I will say that it has been a great race to me. Some love the "one guy goes off and puts 5 minutes on everyone" kind of racing. I think each stage here has been much more like a spring classic every day. I like that kind of racing much better. We still have suspense and the possibility of surprise, and there are only 4 stages left. That is a good race.

10. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

On paper it's Evans to win but this has been the Tour of the unexpected. Crashes, punctures, meteor strikes, anything could happen. If Sastre does win it will be by a few seconds - unless Riis has procured him some Ricco juice.

11. alvynmcq

alvynmcq New Member

As long as they all use their Actovegin IM then they will all be ok, as it is not prohibited.

12. ad9898

ad9898 New Member

Cowblood ??? surely not, haven't heard that here in a while :D

13. thoughtforfood

Or Nike
    Hedge Fund
    Hemopure
    etc
    etc

14. Bikeridindude

Bikeridindude New Member

I agree with you on Cadel's tactics, he's definitely knows himself well and is utilizing his strengths to their utmost potential. If the race were in this situation 5 years ago we could predict the podium finishes within 10 seconds. But hopefully these guys aren't as dependant on dope and we will have an exciting TT. After 3 weeks of racing I would say that even Sastre has a chance with his current time buffer.

Hopefully whoever wins it gets a stage win. It's a pity when they don't.

15. Klodifan

Klodifan New Member

Hey, TDL. I didn't want to stop watching, but I had to go to work. And I was so good not to look at the results until I was able to watch the rest of my dvd.

weird stuff btw frank and alejandro, but I am happy carlos won! :)

16. Klodifan

Klodifan New Member

LOL

17. Dermo

Dermo New Member

And with Riis as your DS something extra from the back of the car as well

18. thoughtforfood

Yea verily! I think Cadel should win Saturday...the racing for the next two days should be good also.

19. EvilJediJ

EvilJediJ New Member

I think Andy could have won that race riding on a tricycle.

Him vs. Contador in the years to come is going to be fantastic.

20. adamastor

adamastor New Member

In 2 sentence, please, what is his "off the bike stuff?"

From someone, who has never seen cadel off the bike.