2008 Tour de France Stage 17 - Wednesday, July 23: Embrun - L'Alpe-d'Huez, 210.5 km

I think the problem is that any advantage CSC would have got would be wiped out on the descent, seeing all the riders coming back to the peloton. Evans is a good descender so it would be energy lost. It always was about Alpe D'Huez and trying to wear Evans out with a high pace on the other two climbs.

jcafcw said:
I think the problem is that any advantage CSC would have got would be wiped out on the descent, seeing all the riders coming back to the peloton. Evans is a good descender so it would be energy lost. It always was about Alpe D'Huez and trying to wear Evans out with a high pace on the other two climbs.

This is a fair point but I think they needed to try, unless Evans cracks right at the base, which isn't realistic, they have virtually no chance to gain the required time.

What is CSC doing? With all those horses, to not try and blow up Evans and Menchov on de Fer is poor tactical move.

I don't think they can put enough time in either on D'huez to overcome TT.

They have to put at least 2 minutes into Evans or Menchov, I don't see it.

ad9898 said:
This is a fair point but I think they needed to try, unless Evans cracks right at the base, which isn't realistic, they have virtually no chance to gain the required time.
The other point is the height of the passes. The air is certainly thinner at such high altitudes, and so it does diminish the abilities of the riders.

jcafcw said:
I think the problem is that any advantage CSC would have got would be wiped out on the descent, seeing all the riders coming back to the peleton. Evans is a good descender so it would be energy lost. It always was about Alpe D'Huez and trying to wear Evans out with a high pace on the other two climbs.
I think you can't let Evans or Menchov wheelsuck all the way to the base of D'huez. They needed even a slight gap that would have at least made him put in an effort before D'huez.

Nothing like riding out a hurricane and watching the TdF and Alpe d Huez. I just hope my satellite Tv doesnt go out on the ascent.

stilesiii said:
I think you can't let Evans or Menchov wheelsuck all the way to the base of D'huez. They needed even a slight gap that would have at least made him put in an effort before D'huez.

+1, Riis would know this, they just don't seem to have the strength. Although they have small crumb of comfort, Indurain lost 4 mins in 5k's on Les Arc so anything is possible I guess.

How much time does Menchov need?

Menchov was only a few seconds slower than Evans on the first ITT, and Evans last time trials are usually not as strong as his first ones.

jcafcw said:
The first 2km is @ 10% this is the time Evans could crack.
Certainly, Vandevelde and Kirchen are in a position to put in a serious attack. However, I think the attack will be more directed at Evans and Menchov than Schleck.

Schleck can't TT. If they can pick up 2 minutes on Menchov and Evans, this TT could really be wide open.

Bro Deal said:
How much time does Menchov need?

Menchov was only a few seconds slower than Evans on the first ITT, and Evans last time trials are usually not as strong as his first ones.

Menchov needs 2 mins I reckon, he is about 64 secs behind, also the first TT was less than half the distance of the last one, so 2 mins minimum

ad9898 said:
Menchov needs 2 mins I reckon, he is about 64 secs behind, also the first TT was less than half the distance of the last one, so 2 mins minimum
Considering that he lost only a couple of seconds to Evans, he can probably try to push it if he gets a 90 sec lead over Evans today (i.e. ~ 30 sec lead overall after today's stage).

TheDarkLord said:
Considering that he lost only a couple of seconds to Evans, he can probably try to push it if he gets a 90 sec lead over Evans today (i.e. ~ 30 sec lead overall after today's stage).
alright peeps, have fun watching the rest of this stage. i'll catch the highlights after work, or should I say lowlights.

Have a great day all :)

TheDarkLord said:
Is Evans a clear favorite vs. Menchov if both are even on time at the end of today?

serpico7 said:
Is Evans a clear favorite vs. Menchov if both are even on time at the end of today?

Evans is better, not by a huge amount, like the darklord says he needs at least 30secs if not a little more by the end of the day.

Imagine if Evans lost ala Fignon in '89 say by 3 secs.... ROTFL. I think the headbutt video would be tame by comparison to what would happen, especially if someone tried to interview him with a fluffy microphone.

ad9898 said:
Evans is better, not by a huge amount, like the darklord says he needs at least 30secs if not a little more by the end of the day.

Imagine if Evans lost ala Fignon in '89 say by 3 secs.... ROTFL. I think the headbutt video would be tame by comparison to what would happen, especially if someone tried to interview him with a fluffy microphone.
Evans' bodyguard would have to protect people from Evans instead of the other way around.

Klodifan said:
alright peeps, have fun watching the rest of this stage. i'll catch the highlights after work, or should I say lowlights.

Have a great day all :)
Klodi, you're abandoning watching the race just before the most exciting part. :(

The two riders in front hit d'Huez, and wow, Velits reacts as if he hit a wall. And attacks have already started!