2008 Tour de France Stage 17 - Wednesday, July 23: Embrun - L'Alpe-d'Huez, 210.5 km

I don't think he gained enough time on Evans but it was a very entertaining stage.

It's a shame Andy was out of contention relatively early in the Tour. He's been so strong since then.

Sastre has 1:34 over Evans. So, it is in the grey area. Eurosport commentators think that Evans has done enough to win.

missile said:
I don't know that that will be enough to cover the TT.
Actually it looks more like 1:35. I still don't think it's enough. He lost 1:16 to Evans in the first ITT.

Sastre was 1min16sec behind Cadel on the first time trial. Second time trial is harder but 1min35sec might be enough. Don't forget, when you've got the yellow you find something extra.

Gonna be close.

Bro Deal said:
Sastre looks like he wll be up 1:25 or 1:26 on Evans. That is not enough.

That was a fantastic climb by Sastre, it may be enough, yellow gives you strength, its going to go down to a few seconds though

b1_ said:
Sastre was 1min16sec behind Cadel on the first time trial. Second time trial is harder but 1min35sec might be enough. Don't forget, when you've got the yellow you find something extra.

Gonna be close.
So true about the yellow jersey giving a rider special incentive and extra strength!

Great Race today! Everybody was tired, but at least made some effort!

ad9898 said:
That was a fantastic climb by Sastre, it may be enough, yellow gives you strength, its going to go down to a few seconds though
I think Evans gets worse as GT goes on. He may be quite tired. Sastre on the other hand must be feeling great, physically and mentally.

Evans to lose the Tour by less than a minute--again. :p

missile said:
So true about the yellow jersey giving a rider special incentive and extra strength!

Great Race today! Everybody was tired, but at least made some effort!

Yeh, even Evans eventually took a turn at the front, he kept turning round asking " Am I going the right way ", getting a little confused has there were no bikes in front of him :D

ad9898 said:
Yeh, even Evans eventually took a turn at the front, he kept turning round asking " Am I going the right way ", getting a little confused has there were no bikes in front of him :D
Give him a break. He is so unused to riding at the front, he didn't know what to do. :)

ad9898 said:
I dislike Evans for his off the bike stuff, but you have to admit he did a hell of a ride today.

With 2 flat stages coming up that will be at least as tough on Sastre as on Evans, I reckon Evans will make up the time in the TT.

Our only reprieve now is to see Evans' antics once he wins.

This is going to be a brilliant final TT and will show clearly if the sport is clean. Sastre will lose by atleast 1min and he must hope not more than 1m35s but if he only loses by 5-10 s then it is clear that foul play is at work.

Fascinating Tour this year like a game of chess, so many tactics.

A much longer TT on Saturday and I suspect Sastre could lose 2 mins. or more to Evans easily.

Bro Deal said:
Evans always looks like he is about to crack. Watching him climb make me hurt.
He has a couple of give aways when he is about to blow. He arches his back. Its subtle but its there.

Kohl was absolutely shattered at the finish. Evans team was ****... again, except Aerts and Van Summeren, who did as much as they could. I reckon Evans may have pre-planned before the stage to make his chase close enough to the finish that he could carry his effort to the line.

The last TT is nearly as much about how farked the riders are as TT ability. I reckon it will go down to the wire , with Evans a slight favourite. Evans to win the Tour by less than 20 seconds.

Looked up the 2 TTs from last year and Sastre lost over 2:30 in each. One was 54km and the other 55.5km. The final TT is 53km. I don't have a good feeling about Sastre doing well enough unless he does a much better TT than he usually does (by about 1 minute better than last years).

plectrum said:
This is going to be a brilliant final TT and will show clearly if the sport is clean. Sastre will lose by atleast 1min and he must hope not more than 1m35s but if he only loses by 5-10 s then it is clear that foul play is at work.

Fascinating Tour this year like a game of chess, so many tactics.

It's not going to be 5-10 secs I'm sure but don't underestimate the power of the jersey on your back, Sastre will put in the best TT of his life.

Can you imagine if Cadel pipped Sastre in the TT to take it by a second or two (and it may), and here at Stage 17, Sastre rode that last 25m no hands, kissing his jersey. That had to cost time..

missile said:
Yeah, in the last TT the yellow jersey really helped Delgado in 87, Fignon in 89 and Chiapucci in 1990. :rolleyes: Oh wait, who won those years? I'd throw in Periero 06 but I'm still confused as to what the **** exactly happened in the Tour that year.

ad9898 said:
It's not going to be 5-10 secs I'm sure but don't underestimate the power of the jersey on your back, Sastre will put in the best TT of his life.

I tend to agree about wearing the yellow. It seems to give a rider incredible convidence.
Of course maybe a free 6 pack of EPO comes with it.