2008 Tour de France Stage 17 - Wednesday, July 23: Embrun - L'Alpe-d'Huez, 210.5 km

The tactic for Sastre and team was to control the chase group (Evans), try and contain him and not drag him any closer across the gap.
If they had been able to place a man in a break that could have survived until the last few miles of the climb he may have been able to aid Sastre.

Denia said:
By leaving Andy with his brother, I think Evans had to assume that they were his main danger and would attack him to try and keep Frank in yellow. By the time he realised they weren't, Sastre had a two-minute gap. If Andy had gone at the start of the climb with Sastre, then Evans would have been left in no doubt that Frank was being sacrificed and would have tried to follow. That was the CSC gamble and it worked out as well as they could realistically have hoped. As you noted, Frank's legs weren't great and there was no way he was going to win by 2-3 minutes.
That makes sense, thanks.

Here's previous TdF individual time trials Evans v Sastre:

2005 Stage 1 - 19km
Sastre +0.09

2005 Stage 20 - 55km
Evans +1.04

2006 Stage 7 - 52km
Evans +0.22

2006 Stage 19 - 57km
Evans +1.01

2007 Stage 13 - 54km
Evans +2.47

2007 Stage 19 - 55km
Evans +2.33

2008 Stage 4 - 29km
Evans +1.24

If it was two years ago you'd say Sastre could do it, but on recent form Cadel has it.

b1_ said:

<snip>

If it was two years ago you'd say Sastre could do it, but on recent form Cadel has it.
You also have to take into account the stage profile.

b1_ said:

2005 Stage 1 - 19km
Sastre +0.09

2005 Stage 20 - 55km
Evans +1.04

2006 Stage 7 - 52km
Evans +0.22

2006 Stage 19 - 57km
Evans +1.01

2007 Stage 13 - 54km
Evans +2.47

2007 Stage 19 - 55km
Evans +2.33

2008 Stage 4 - 29km
Evans +1.24

To me I would start to put some money on Sastre, Evans does weaken towards the end of the tour and again I will say, this is probably his best chance ever to win the tour, psychologically with yellow jersey I think he will stay within the time needed to beat Evans

The guy deserves it after today, that was a real gutsy ride and don't forget who ever has had the yellow jersey on the Alpe has won the tour.

jhuskey said:
The tactic for Sastre and team was to control the chase group (Evans), try and contain him and not drag him any closer across the gap.
If they had been able to place a man in a break that could have survived until the last few miles of the climb he may have been able to aid Sastre.
Riis is a smart dude, they put all their eggs in Sastre's basket. I didn't make any sense to go with either of the Schlecks, neither one of them can TT worth beans. (Not that Sastre is good) Nobody in the chase group really had the nuts to spend any time at the front, that made it work so well. CSC did an excellent job today, the only screw-up was Sastre spending so much time showing his armpits to the crowd instead of pedalling hard.

Bikeridindude said:
Riis is a smart dude, they put all their eggs in Sastre's basket. I didn't make any sense to go with either of the Schlecks, neither one of them can TT worth beans. (Not that Sastre is good) Nobody in the chase group really had the nuts to spend any time at the front, that made it work so well. CSC did an excellent job today, the only screw-up was Sastre spending so much time showing his armpits to the crowd instead of pedalling hard.
We'll see. If he loses by a big margin in the ITT, it wouldn't matter. But if he loses by a couple of seconds, then one could say that his soft-riding to the finish was his downfall.

ad9898 said:
To me I would start to put some money on Sastre, Evans does weaken towards the end of the tour and again I will say, this is probably his best chance ever to win the tour, psychologically with yellow jersey I think he will stay within the time needed to beat Evans

The guy deserves it after today, that was a real gutsy ride and don't forget who ever has had the yellow jersey on the Alpe has won the tour.

One point to note about Sastre; he has barely been in the wind for the entire Tour bar the Hautecam stage. They have covered him well. He'll be fresh for the time trial.

Bikeridindude said:
Cadel doesn't have an explosive attack in him on a mountain stage. That has been shown over the past 2 years especially. What he did do today was go to the front when he needed to and limit the time gained by Sastre. Evans is a strong rider who knows his strengths and doesn't exceed what he knows he cannot do. He is an impetious child off the bike, but on the bike, he doesn't let emotion cause him to do things he knows will threaten his chances later. He rides smart. It isn't flashy, it isn't exciting, it sometimes means he sucks wheels, but he always puts himself in the best position he can to win. I will give him that.

As long as he doesn't do something childish from now until Sunday, I am back of the mind that based on strength, he deserves to win. In reality, I don't know that I can really say I am rooting for Sastre all that much. I am suspicious of the showing of CSC in some respects.

I will say that it has been a great race to me. Some love the "one guy goes off and puts 5 minutes on everyone" kind of racing. I think each stage here has been much more like a spring classic every day. I like that kind of racing much better. We still have suspense and the possibility of surprise, and there are only 4 stages left. That is a good race.

whiteboytrash said:
One point to note about Sastre; he has barely been in the wind for the entire Tour bar the Hautecam stage. They have covered him well. He'll be fresh for the time trial.
On paper it's Evans to win but this has been the Tour of the unexpected. Crashes, punctures, meteor strikes, anything could happen. If Sastre does win it will be by a few seconds - unless Riis has procured him some Ricco juice.

As long as they all use their Actovegin IM then they will all be ok, as it is not prohibited.

thoughtforfood said:
Cadel doesn't have an explosive attack in him on a mountain stage. That has been shown over the past 2 years especially. What he did do today was go to the front when he needed to and limit the time gained by Sastre. Evans is a strong rider who knows his strengths and doesn't exceed what he knows he cannot do. He is an impetious child off the bike, but on the bike, he doesn't let emotion cause him to do things he knows will threaten his chances later. He rides smart. It isn't flashy, it isn't exciting, it sometimes means he sucks wheels, but he always puts himself in the best position he can to win. I will give him that.

As long as he doesn't do something childish from now until Sunday, I am back of the mind that based on strength, he deserves to win. In reality, I don't know that I can really say I am rooting for Sastre all that much. I am suspicious of the showing of CSC in some respects.

I will say that it has been a great race to me. Some love the "one guy goes off and puts 5 minutes on everyone" kind of racing. I think each stage here has been much more like a spring classic every day. I like that kind of racing much better. We still have suspense and the possibility of surprise, and there are only 4 stages left. That is a good race.
I agree with you on Cadel's tactics, he's definitely knows himself well and is utilizing his strengths to their utmost potential. If the race were in this situation 5 years ago we could predict the podium finishes within 10 seconds. But hopefully these guys aren't as dependant on dope and we will have an exciting TT. After 3 weeks of racing I would say that even Sastre has a chance with his current time buffer.

Hopefully whoever wins it gets a stage win. It's a pity when they don't.

TheDarkLord said:
Klodi, you're abandoning watching the race just before the most exciting part. :(

The two riders in front hit d'Huez, and wow, Velits reacts as if he hit a wall. And attacks have already started!
Hey, TDL. I didn't want to stop watching, but I had to go to work. And I was so good not to look at the results until I was able to watch the rest of my dvd.

weird stuff btw frank and alejandro, but I am happy carlos won! :)

ad9898 said:
Yeh, even Evans eventually took a turn at the front, he kept turning round asking " Am I going the right way ", getting a little confused has there were no bikes in front of him :D
LOL

b1_ said:
Don't forget, when you've got the yellow you find something extra.

And with Riis as your DS something extra from the back of the car as well

Bikeridindude said:
Hopefully whoever wins it gets a stage win. It's a pity when they don't.
Yea verily! I think Cadel should win Saturday...the racing for the next two days should be good also.

I think Andy could have won that race riding on a tricycle.

Him vs. Contador in the years to come is going to be fantastic.

serpico7 said:
I dislike Evans for his off the bike stuff, but you have to admit he did a hell of a ride today.
In 2 sentence, please, what is his "off the bike stuff?"

From someone, who has never seen cadel off the bike.