2008 Tour de France Stage 19 - Friday, July 25: Roanne - Montluçon, 165.5km

Crankyfeet

Jun 5, 2007
Stage 19

PROFILVIGNETTE.gif

PROFILKMSVIGNETTE.gif

Hard one to call.
Given the distance covered already, this stage (like todays, Thursdays, stage) is a difficult enough stage.

I think a breakaway might be a reasonable bet.

I don't think it will be a bunch sprint. Columbia won't work today as Kirchen will fancy himself of either:

a) A rest and an assualt to crawl up a couple of places tomorrow
b) a breakaway chance to get some points to come second or third in the points competition.

I favour the first as he is no chance of the points competition. So that leaves Credit Agricole and Milram to chase down a break. It's a possibility that Credit Agricole chase down a break to give Hushovd a win as Hushovd wanted the green jersey.

Ballan is targetting a stage win and so is Chavanel. Ballan's terrain is better today as is Chavanel compared to yesterday. Quick-Step are still looking for a win as is Euskatel. Ruben Perez might try a break today for Euskatel - he hasn't ever won a race so today he might fancy himself.

We still havn't seen Flecha in a break and Voigt is a chance to venture across to a break today. Throw in Millar too. Gilbert also.

As with Columbia, I'm using the process of elimination. They will fancy Ciolek in Paris. Hincapie has tried a break and Siutsou, Burghardt and Lovkvist both have. That leaves Hansen and Eisel as men who could make a break today to get a 6th win. Possibility to try one today.

I think Ballan, Chavanel, Voeckler all make the break today with possibilities of Eisel, Hansen, Millar, Gilbert, Voigt, Flecha. A barloworld rider might try a break today too. If these riders take the break, then you fancy either Eisel or Ballan.

1. Eisel
2. Ballan
3. Chavanel

However, Columbia have come with 2 sprinters and may want to use Ciolek today so a break may get chased down with the help of Columbia, Credit Agricole and Milram but if it does, I see Zabel or Hushovd taking the stage win. I favour Hushovd.

1. Hushovd
2. Zabel
3. Ciolek

Grater said:
Sandy Casar is also a chance!

I can't believe he didn't go yesterday. He could improve his position without being a threat and as I stated yesterday the leaders need to be careful with an even tempo as not to wear down the legs or cause a crash.
Of course the finish of the two lead riders yesterday proves that well thought out tactics are not always the rule. :rolleyes:

I would also note that Quickstep has won nothing this year and I would suspect they will go all out in a final attempt to gain some points and a possible stage win.

jhuskey said:
I would also note that Quickstep has won nothing this year and I would suspect they will go all out in a final attempt to gain some points and a possible stage win.

Zabel - this is possibly his last year with good legs - I'd love him to get a stage - he's great at the rolly poly stuff - although Freire has been climbing well too...

Is anybody following this? Seems to me the sprinters teams had a good chance to get a bunch sprint, but right now they're giving it away to the two man in the top. With 4 for Cavendish so far (well, he's out now), I actually don't understand why the other sprinters teams don't try to close it and try their luck. Some of those guys don't care about tomorrow.

Edit to clarify: It's about 20 km to go with 3:30 min gap. Not impossible, but a lot of hard hard work.

Edit II: Chavanel gets it. Now we can all go and talk about Saturday.

9 replies to this thread, well 10 now with this one. So everyone is underwhelmed until tomorrow and then the ceremonial ride on Sunday and several will spectulate that Sastre or Evans, whichever is behind ,could take off and make up the deficit.
The come Monady and "Tour withdrawal" and the eventual addiction to drugs and alcohol. :eek:

I'm here. Happy to see Chavanel finally win at the Tour, after 8 years.

too tired to type anything else except that I hope Sastre whips Evans' butt ;)

Chavanel has to be ecstatic. It's been a long time coming.

I wonder how long Voekler will have to wait for his.

Bro Deal said:
Chavanel has to be ecstatic. It's been a long time coming.

I wonder how long Voekler will have to wait for his.

Voeckler? Not sure what you mean.

jhuskey said:
Voeckler? Not sure what you mean.
Voeckler is out in front for a few minutes nearly every stage. I was just wondering how many years it will take before he finally wins a stage.

I am betting on never. He wastes too much energy mugging for the cameras.

jhuskey said:
9 replies to this thread, well 10 now with this one. So everyone is underwhelmed until tomorrow and then the ceremonial ride on Sunday and several will spectulate that Sastre or Evans, whichever is behind ,could take off and make up the deficit.
The come Monady and "Tour withdrawal" and the eventual addiction to drugs and alcohol. :eek:

I didn't get a chance to see todays stage live - that's why I haven't posted to this thread.
(would love to be able to watch all three weeks live).

Great to see Chavanel win though - he has been in a lot of unsuccessful breakaways in this TDF and today he managed to get the win.

In fact all of the bigger French names have had a great tour - DiGrgeorio, Dessel, Voeckler, Dumoulin, Feillu.

limerickman said:
I didn't get a chance to see todays stage live - that's why I haven't posted to this thread.
(would love to be able to watch all three weeks live).

Great to see Chavanel win though - he has been in a lot of unsuccessful breakaways in this TDF and today he managed to get the win.

In fact all of the bigger French names have had a great tour - DiGrgeorio, Dessel, Voeckler, Dumoulin, Feillu.

The mountain stages have been exciting but have not had the dynamics of years past.IMO
I don't think there was lot of excitment on todays stage for most, just a lull before the storm tomorrow. I have caught most of the action over the net but always go to Versus (TV) to see the finish.
I suspect that Cancellera may be hoping for a stage win Saturday otherwise I would think he would have dropped out after Alp D Huez so he could prepare for Bejing.

Good to see Chavenal got up for the win.
He's spent a lot of time trying in heaps of breaks, so glad one worked.

what happened to Wegmann, Flecha & Feillu they didn't make the cut off time.
Harsh way to finish with only 2 stages to go.

Trev_S said:
Good to see Chavenal got up for the win.
He's spent a lot of time trying in heaps of breaks, so glad one worked.

what happened to Wegmann, Flecha & Feillu they didn't make the cut off time.
Harsh way to finish with only 2 stages to go.
Feillu was vomiting all day yesterday, while in the break and finishing third, so I guess he just couldn't follow the really fast peloton at the beginning of the stage today.
Wegmann? I think he's had quite a few crashes, so that could be it.
Flecha? no idea.

Bro Deal said:
Voeckler is out in front for a few minutes nearly every stage. I was just wondering how many years it will take before he finally wins a stage.

I am betting on never. He wastes too much energy mugging for the cameras.

Yeah, but 10 days in yellow should have been enough limelight. At least for most.