2008 Tour de France : Stage 4 Cholet 29 km Individual time trial Tuesday, July 8

Crankyfeet said:
Is Ricco that bad at TTing (relatively speaking of course)? Needs to pick up that part of his game if he is ever going to be a threat in GT's with his bike... not just his mouth.
His final TT in the Giro was somewhat similar. But is he in this Tour for getting a good placing in the GC, or is he there more for trying for stage wins?

TheDarkLord said:
His final TT in the Giro was somewhat similar. But is he in this Tour for getting a good placing in the GC, or is he there more for trying for stage wins?
Well he's said stage wins, which would mean it would be in his interest to not go all out in the TT...

But surely he's not ruling out the white jersey... or is the white jersey a non-event compared to getting a stage win? Probably is.

Crankyfeet said:
Well he's said stage wins, which would mean it would be in his interest to not go all out in the TT...

But surely he's not ruling out the white jersey... or is the white jersey a non-event compared to getting a stage win? Probably is.
I would imagine that getting the white jersey is probably harder than trying for a stage win.

TheDarkLord said:
I would imagine that getting the white jersey is probably harder than trying for a stage win.
Probably is. But I doubt that Ricco' is that interested. He was fighting for the pink a few weeks ago. Not the young rider's jersey.

He decided for the Tour right after the Giro, and is there for stage wins.

Some surprising results today for me.
Not the winner (so much), or top 10, but Schlecks, Cunego, Valverde (on current form) and several others (for example, Luis Leon Sanchez, Bruseghin).
Interesting TT... Interesting Tour and everything's, still, up for grabs.

rob of the og said:
It's too short for Dawson or Butler. Michael Hutchinson is a better choice.
Actually, aren't Butler and Booty dead? They' struggle to get to the start line if thats the case.

classic1 said:
Actually, aren't Butler and Booty dead? They' struggle to get to the start line if thats the case.
They might be dead... but those two are tough cyclists. They'd walk over broken glass to stay in the TdF until Paris. I reckon their team would get them to the start line... but they'd probably crash out of the race about 5 yards from the bottom of the ramp.

Three people that are too good to be true:

Schumaker
Kreuziger
Kirchen

I bet $100 of Cranky's money that one of them will be caught in the next month.

Malkmus said:

Schumaker
Kreuziger
Kirchen

thumper's got all my money. Bet his...
frown.gif

Malkmus said:

Schumaker
Kreuziger
Kirchen

If Kirchen goes down then Stapleton's in a loooot of trouble.

(And Rogers will be fuming - sitting at home in Varese, legs in top shape, and he got Telekomed from the Tour team just like Evans in 2004).

For that matter - why was Dekker left at home? Form or something else?

Kirchen's form is astonishing. Schumacher was far stronger than I thought (as was Hincapie), but Kirchen was a bolt from the blue. I've never seen him TT like that before. He claims not to be chasing green (but so did Robbie Mac in 2006), but his form so far suggests he will be going for GC and green. I expect him to attack hard at Super Besse.

Runitout said:
For that matter - why was Dekker left at home? Form or something else?
Dekker is on the outs with Rabobank management. The tiff must be pretty bad if they decided to stick it to him by not putting him on the TdF squad. He'll be at a new team next year.

A quick easy search will see Kirchen has a pretty good TT
I don't think his performance is a dramatic standout in comparison to last year. It's better but certainly not a dramatic improvement.

TDF 07
stage 13
Kirchen finished in 18th 3:18 down on Vino.
of the riders placed in front him, 11 of them are not racing.
2 others in front Popovych & Hoste riding for Silence Lotto now cruised the TT this year.
Course was much longer.

stage 19
Both Kirchen & Schumacher finished 3:17 down on Leipheimer placing 13th & 15 respectively. Of the riders finising in front of them only Leipheimer, Karpets, Contador, Dekker & Gerdemann are not racing. Popovych & Hoste cruised the course. Plus it was a much longer TT which either aren't as good at.

Without the prologue this year, there must have been bunches of riders on the same time before the chrono. Does anyone know how they determined the order of riding for the TT? Was it drawn out of a hat?

They may have the same time but they still have a finishing order as they cross the line. So I'd say it's just an accumulative placings order.
ie:Rider A - finishes in 25 & 32nd,
Rider B finishes in 10th & 158th

Rider A has over all better finish positions.

Something like that I guess.

Grater said:
Dont throw out Kirchen for a top 5 tonight. He won't win, but he will perform well.

Him along with Valverde and Evans are the form riders in the peloton. They are the 3 riders who in my mind without a doubt are the 3 that can wear yellow heading into paris and who will podium in 3 weeks time. The order, you decide. A flat 29km stage suits Kirchen too!

My prediction is Cancellara will win and Kirchen will be in yellow at the end of stage 4. He would be in yellow already if there were time bonuses.

Yes, Kirchen will finish ahead of Evans and Valverde tonight! Those 3 will light stage 4 up as they are all on solid form!

Bruseghin is a chance to win!
Ah yes! Another 2 and a half weeks and he wins the Tour!

Trev_S said:
They may have the same time but they still have a finishing order as they cross the line. So I'd say it's just an accumulative placings order.
ie:Rider A - finishes in 25 & 32nd,
Rider B finishes in 10th & 158th

Rider A has over all better finish positions.

Something like that I guess.
It would be the reverse GC obviously (thanks gplama - TAN), but wouldn't they determine that as being the finishing order in the most recent stage...if rider's are on the same time?

I see your point however... why only weight the order in the last stage 100% and give zero weighting to previous stages... if rider's are on the same time?