2008 Tour De France : Stage 5 Cholet - Châteauroux 230 km Wednesday, July

limerickman said:
yeah, I've read that he is a fanatic for the bike.
I read that he's also a very single minded character.

I heard somewhere that during the late 1990's that he wanted to be the team leader at Telekom when Jan Ullrich was winning the GT's.
By all accounts Erik wanted the team to back him instead of Jan Ullrich.

Goodefroot rated Zabel very highly.
His famous comment "if JU had the motivation of EZ, he would be as good as Merckx".
I take Goodefroots point (even if it is slightly over the top - as no one in my opinion is even close to Merckx).

That's pretty much what I was told about Zabel and the fact that he was not well like within the team.
Eddie was incomparable, but that was a different time.

Almost left that one out a bit long eh!? I would have loved to see the French Champ win the stage! Awesome attempt by the 3 to rev it back up after the Peloton slowed down the chase for awhile. Canvindish is a animal. Unstoppable with in 200 M. Very exciting finish.

jhuskey said:
That's pretty much what I was told about Zabel and the fact that he was not well like within the team.
Eddie was incomparable, but that was a different time.

Grater said:
Yep!

Surely this has to be a sprint finish. If it isn't, then this tour is screwed!

1. Cavendish
2. Freire
3. McEwen
That's what we like to see!

TheDarkLord said:
Yeah, they showed a line graphic to see who's in front, and both Freire and Zabel seemed to be at the same position. Real close.

What happened to McEwen? Good call Grater - got two of the top three right!
That 4 mm of Freire's wheel cost me $100...
mad.gif

To make matters worse... I think Oscar soft-pedaled in Stage 2 when he found out I had picked him...
tongue.gif

Crankyfeet said:
That 4 mm of Freire's wheel cost me $100...
mad.gif

To make matters worse... I think Oscar soft-pedaled in Stage 2 when he found out I had picked him...
tongue.gif
You lost another $100 to thumper? :p Why didn't you post yours and thumper's picks for the stage? It adds to the entertainment here...

TheDarkLord said:
You lost another $100 to thumper? :p Why didn't you post yours and thumper's picks for the stage? It adds to the entertainment here...
Well I lost $50... but if Zabel had pipped Freire...I would have won. So the difference was $100. I lost by one point... 83 to 82...
mad.gif

I had McEwen, Cav, and Hunter. Thumper had Freire, Hushovd, and Steegmans. At first I thought I won with Cav coming in first... but we gave our first picks a weighting of 1.5, so his 2nd placing on his first pick (Freire) had more impact than my 8th placing (McEwen).

But the show's over folks. I realised that I was donating money to thunder like a newbie patsy at a poker game.

classic1 said:
Poor old Soler. He's a tough *******. He can't ride a bike properly yet he chooses cycling as a way of earning a living. Hard as nails. If he couldn't swim I'm sure he would have chosen alligator wrangling or surf lifesaving as a career. Tough as old boots

yeah, but he's a Columbian...I can almost see the careers guide at school:

1/ Drug lord
2/ Drug Lord
3/ Drug Lord
etc etc....
1445/ Pro Cyclist

he should donate his body to science so they can work out how the fark he can climb so well!...:D

Hitchy said:
yeah, but he's a Columbian...I can almost see the careers guide at school:

1/ Drug lord
2/ Drug Lord
3/ Drug Lord
etc etc....
1445/ Pro Cyclist

he should donate his body to science so they can work out how the fark he can climb so well!...:D
LOL.

I think Pro Football/Soccer Player "shot" down the list after that Andres Escobar guy got shot 12 times in a car park for kicking an own goal for Columbia in the '94 World Cup which sent the Columbian team out of the tournament. The guy who shot him was yelling "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!" as he delivered the 12 shots.