2008 Tour De France : Stage 5 Cholet - Châteauroux 230 km Wednesday, July

The break is down to 7'30" with 160km to go. Looks like the peloton is being vigilant... as they report on CN.

Crankyfeet said:
The break is down to 7'30" with 160km to go. Looks like the peloton is being vigilant... as they report on CN.
It's good to see a break succeed, but thats already happened, so now it would be good to see a proper bunch sprint, I think McEwen is the man

Long stage and plenty of time for another break but we will see.

TheDarkLord said:
Looks like Soler abandoned after 12 km into today's stage. CN reports that he had another spill in the neutral zone. So, the inevitable has finally happened. Hope he has better luck next year.
Poor old Soler. He's a tough *******. He can't ride a bike properly yet he chooses cycling as a way of earning a living. Hard as nails. If he couldn't swim I'm sure he would have chosen alligator wrangling or surf lifesaving as a career. Tough as old boots

TheDarkLord said:
Looks like Soler abandoned after 12 km into today's stage. CN reports that he had another spill in the neutral zone. So, the inevitable has finally happened. Hope he has better luck next year.
That is too bad. Respect to him for having hung in there into the fifth stage.

classic1 said:
Poor old Soler. He's a tough *******. He can't ride a bike properly yet he chooses cycling as a way of earning a living. Hard as nails. If he couldn't swim I'm sure he would have chosen alligator wrangling or surf lifesaving as a career. Tough as old boots

When god was handing out bodies I think Soler got the leftovers. His legs aren't the same length, neither are his arms, his head is on skew - even his back looks like somebody wound him up before they attached it...

I'm rather sad for the fellow. Quietly gets on with the job without pomp and ceremony... Big up respect.

His misfortune is South(ern) Africas fortune though - the whole team will now be leading out Hunter and I fancy Augustyn and Froome for suicidal breaks on the transitional stages.

National pride aside I'm loving the Tour this year. I'm like a 7 year old kid again. Fantastic!!

Wow talk about digressing - as you were people...

Oh and regarding the stage Robbie, Robbie, Robbie with a few bob on Zabel as an outsider....

About 70 km to go with the gap under 3.5 min. Looks like this will end up being a bunch sprint.

TheDarkLord said:
About 70 km to go with the gap under 3.5 min. Looks like this will end up being a bunch sprint.
Well, seems like they learned their lesson from the other day...

Powerful Pete said:
Well, seems like they learned their lesson from the other day...
Yeah. From the general comments in the live commentary on CN, it looks like some teams were just unwilling to do work in that stage (to chase down the break that is), and there was no organization among the teams.

TheDarkLord said:
Yeah. From the general comments in the live commentary on CN, it looks like some teams were just unwilling to do work in that stage (to chase down the break that is), and there was no organization among the teams.
Not a problem today, with the pelton at 1'20" with 25km to go. :cool:

Powerful Pete said:
Not a problem today, with the pelton at 1'20" with 25km to go. :cool:
Is there a reason why they always catch the break so late into the stage? Is it a tactical move to prevent other breakaway groups?

TheDarkLord said:
Is there a reason why they always catch the break so late into the stage? Is it a tactical move to prevent other breakaway groups?
Yes. That's the exact reason not to catch them 50km out. It's easier to catch a group that's been out there for 200km, than chase a group that has just jumped in the last 20km.

Yup. The are is in timing it just right so that no one else gets the crazy idea to attack. The problem is when you get the timing wrong... :D

Wel, I came close in my guess. If you count second place as close.
The story of my life!

Only watched the last 10 km. But wow, they only JUST managed to catch the break. In fact, one of the riders in the break almost won it but seemed to lose steam some 50 m ahead of the finish!

Edit: Well I guess they called Zabel 3rd ,but it was close 3rd.

jhuskey said:
Edit: Well I guess they called Zabel 3rd ,but it was close 3rd.
Yeah, they showed a line graphic to see who's in front, and both Freire and Zabel seemed to be at the same position. Real close.

What happened to McEwen? Good call Grater - got two of the top three right!

Kelly was singing the praises of Zabel on Monday (eriks birhtday) on Eurosport.
Referred to Zabel as having "a superb career" "remarkable rider doing what he has done and being still racing for the win at his age (38)".
Very high praise from King Kelly.

limerickman said:
Kelly was singing the praises of Zabel on Monday (eriks birhtday) on Eurosport.
Referred to Zabel as having "a superb career" "remarkable rider doing what he has done and being still racing for the win at his age (38)".
Very high praise from King Kelly.

He was not popular with some other riders but well respected because he was such a training fanatic.
He would train a full day with the team and then go back out for more.
Or so I am told.

jhuskey said:
He was not popular with some other riders but well respected because he was such a training fanatic.
He would train a full day with the team and then go back out for more.
Or so I am told.

yeah, I've read that he is a fanatic for the bike.
I read that he's also a very single minded character.

I heard somewhere that during the late 1990's that he wanted to be the team leader at Telekom when Jan Ullrich was winning the GT's.
By all accounts Erik wanted the team to back him instead of Jan Ullrich.

Goodefroot rated Zabel very highly.
His famous comment "if JU had the motivation of EZ, he would be as good as Merckx".
I take Goodefroots point (even if it is slightly over the top - as no one in my opinion is even close to Merckx).