2008 Tour de France Stage 7 ; Brioude - Aurillac 159.0 km Friday 11th July

Grater said:
Top 3 tonight

1. Flecha
2. Jalabert
3. Arvesson
ArveSEN will still be sheltering Sastre. Voigt and Cancellara, most probably Voigt will be CSCs bid for the break.

Freire, Zabel and probably Hushovd will be able to stay with the GC-boys today, at least until the last, nasty cat. 3 climb (1,7 km at 10 % or something like that). They might not be able to get back at the downhill to the finish.

I think it's a hard guess if the break will stay away or not, but I think they will.

RAGT said:
ArveSEN will still be sheltering Sastre. Voigt and Cancellara, most probably Voigt will be CSCs bid for the break.

Freire, Zabel and probably Hushovd will be able to stay with the GC-boys today, at least until the last, nasty cat. 3 climb (1,7 km at 10 % or something like that). They might not be able to get back at the downhill to the finish.

I think it's a hard guess if the break will stay away or not, but I think they will.
Zabel climbed relatively well yesterday, I think he is in with a chance, it's all going to come down to what sort of tempo the lead riders set on the final climb, if they go at it hammer and tong like they did yesterday then it'll be whoever takes the most risks on the decent......that is of course if a break doesn't stay aw....which is a solid chance.

Maybe Jens or even Zabel to win the stage, but I can't believe the managers will allow a hard pace all the way through the stage for the GC's with the Pyenees looming.
It would be a good day for "layed back" pace.

jhuskey said:
Maybe Jens or even Zabel to win the stage, but I can't believe the managers will allow a hard pace all the way through the stage for the GC's with the Pyenees looming.
It would be a good day for "layed back" pace.
There is one flat stage tomorrow before the big mountains. So, one could do the "laid back pace" tomorrow.

TheDarkLord said:
There is one flat stage tomorrow before the big mountains. So, one could do the "laid back pace" tomorrow.

You just never know what they are planning. That's what makes it interesting.
Planning goes into each stage but there are those that are always looking for random opportunity.

The third attempt in setting up a break is about to bite the dust. So, do we have to wait for the serious climb to start to get a break?

Millar, Voigt, Barredo, Florencio and Scholz in a break. It only has 20 sec over the peloton right now. But there is no way that Columbia will let this break succeed, due to Millar being out there.

The chase has already split the peloton. Looks like your first prediction of "laid back pace" is out j!

Thanks for the updates TDL : many people don't have direct access to live TV pictures : please do keep the updates going if you can.

Cunego could lose a lot of time here - the cyclingnews live report doesnt know where he is - if he is several groups back then it may be his Lampre team against the rest!

Millar had a flat in the front tire, and he continued riding with it for about 5 minutes. He is really jinxed! The break has been caught, but there is big damage done to the peloton by the high speed chase of Columbia. Cunego and Sanchez are not in the group of 25 riders who are in the front, though Evans and Menchov are in that group.

The wind is also making for very hostile conditions, with one rider crashing into a tree after being blown by the wind. Motorcyclists are also suffering due to the wind.

TheDarkLord said:
Millar had a flat in the front tire, and he continued riding with it for about 5 minutes. He is really jinxed! The break has been caught, but there is big damage done to the peloton by the high speed chase of Columbia. Cunego and Sanchez are not in the group of 25 riders who are in the front, though Evans and Menchov are in that group.
Isnt Sanchez off the front though>?

Anticyclone said:
Isnt Sanchez off the front though>?
Looks like you're right. Maybe the Eurosport commentators messed up the names a bit.

From the official website, the people in the front group are Evans, Sastre, Cancellara, Schleck, Schleck, Voigt, Valverde, Pereiro, Sanchez, Kirchen, Lovkvist, Pozzato, Nibola, Valjavec, Kohl, Menchov, Freire, Vaugrenard, Cobo, Vande Velde and Millar.

limerickman said:
Thanks for the updates TDL : many people don't have direct access to live TV pictures : please do keep the updates going if you can.

I am watching the feed on the net. Not as good as a 50" big screen but better than being in the dark.

jhuskey said:
I am watching the feed on the net. Not as good as a 50" big screen but better than being in the dark.
My nets to slow, i'm waiting for the live coverage to come on over here in 40 minutes. How bigs the gap now, I hope the lead 25 stay away

Scotttri said:
My nets to slow, i'm waiting for the live coverage to come on over here in 40 minutes. How bigs the gap now, I hope the lead 25 stay away
The gap is coming down actually. 28 sec at the time of typing. There are about 10 riders who are about 2:30 behind the front - i.e. dropped by the chase group.

Go CSC! They're making this stage really interesting! A couple of favourites not in that front group, could be interesting to see what the time gaps become once they hit those two cat 2 climbs.