2008 Tour de France Stage 7 ; Brioude - Aurillac 159.0 km Friday 11th July

CSC is doing the bulk of the work in the front group. Why?

The Lampre riders are busting their asses off to bring Cunego back into the group.

The composition of the front group (from the official site) is:
Evans and Cioni (SIL)
Cancellara, Gustov, Schleck, Schleck and Voigt (CSC)
Valverde, Pereiro and Sanchez (GCE)
Kirchen and Lovkvist (THR)
Pozzato, Kreuziger and Nibali (LIQ)
Menchov and Freire (RAB)
Kohl (GST)
Vaugrenard (FDJ)
Ricco and Cobo (SDV)
Millar and Vande Velde (GAR)

The gap is down to less than 15 sec down; so it looks like the front group will be reeled in shortly.

Talk about jinxed... it does appear to be a good day for Cunego.

Also, surprised that Piepoli is not in the lead group with Riccò... or did I miss something?

Moreau has abandoned!!! Wow, I didn't see that coming. He was one of two riders who attacked at the beginning of the race (caught at the 4th km), and now he is out.

Josep Jufre and David De La Fuente (Saunier Duval), Luis Leon Sanchez (Caisse d'Epargne) and Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas) up 75 sec ahead of the peloton. The group of four have just crested the first climb.

Break wont be allowed to get too far ahead while Nibali is in it - he's only three minutes down on GC.

TheDarkLord said:
Moreau has abandoned!!! Wow, I didn't see that coming. He was one of two riders who attacked at the beginning of the race (caught at the 4th km), and now he is out.
That is very strange. I take it something is wrong with him physically for him to pull out on the seventh stage of the Tour. Anyone know anything more about this? :confused:

Powerful Pete said:
Nibali is an very good descender if they are able to make the break stick...
So how big is the group with the favourites now that the two groups have joined??

The gap is around 1:50 now. For those who are watching the video, did you catch the chain snapping for Velits? Scary.

Pretty Scenery! :)

BTW, Hushovd and Chavanel who are wearing the green and polka dots jerseys, are about 7 minutes behind the front group of 4 (5.5 minutes behind the yellow jersey group).

Powerful Pete said:
That is very strange. I take it something is wrong with him physically for him to pull out on the seventh stage of the Tour. Anyone know anything more about this? :confused:
Gadret is out too. I was hoping to see him do something in the mountains.

I guess it is hard to recover without a decent medical program.

The top of the mountain is in a cloud. Hence, the vsibility is not great for the riders. The front group is descending. The descent is supposedly somewhat dangerous, and there is apparently a region with broken up tarmac near the end of the descent.

Powerful Pete said:
Well that will separate the men from the boys in terms of downhilling skills...
La Fuente nearly spilled after skidding twice. Scary!

In terms of mountain poins, La Fuente is just 3 points shy of Chavanel and Voeckler. Pretty good chance that Chavanel will lose the polka dots jersey today.

Van Summeren crashed. Seems to be ok. La Fuente has been dropped by the other three after his skid. The front group of three is descending beautifully.