2009 Giro : Stage 1 - Saturday, May 09: Lido di Venezia (TTT), 20.5km

You would think that this will be between three teams. Astana, Columbia and Garmin.

Looking forward to the Giro this year. Get to see if Garmin have done the right work they need to develop a good team time trial squad as that was one of their goals for last year - to win team time trials. So time will tell.

Astana naturally have good time triallers in their team and Columbia have guys like Rogers, Martin, Pinotti and Pinotti will want the pink jersey almost straight away or have it in the hands of Cavendish by end of stage 2 providing stage 2 is a sprinters stage.

I think Astana will be targetting this stage to lay down a marker.

I would think that the main opposition will come from Columbia and Saxo : both have very strong TT riders.

Really looking forward to this years Giro.
It's been great viewing the past few years and hopefully this year will live up to the last couple of years.

Strongest time trialists is the biggest factor but there's also how well drilled the squad is. I think Astana, Slipstream, Columbia and Saxo will make the top four in that order. It's a totally flat course so I don't think the time differences will be huge.

Eldrack said:
Strongest time trialists is the biggest factor but there's also how well drilled the squad is. I think Astana, Slipstream, Columbia and Saxo will make the top four in that order. It's a totally flat course so I don't think the time differences will be huge.

Yeah, it's a pan flat parcours : so the time gaps should be minimal really.

Although if it rains, it might be interesting!

Grater said:
You would think that this will be between three teams. Astana, Columbia and Garmin.

Looking forward to the Giro this year. Get to see if Garmin have done the right work they need to develop a good team time trial squad as that was one of their goals for last year - to win team time trials. So time will tell.

Astana naturally have good time triallers in their team and Columbia have guys like Rogers, Martin, Pinotti and Pinotti will want the pink jersey almost straight away or have it in the hands of Cavendish by end of stage 2 providing stage 2 is a sprinters stage.
add CSC and Barlo and Liquigas.

It aint as cut and dried. 20km, 9man ttt, is anaerobic. Whoever, whichever team brings flatlanders and explosive riders, they will win. Dont be surprised if LPR gets on the podium

I would bet that Slipstream targets the TTT as their main target so they would get it. Astana will ride a good time but I don't think they will give everything to win.

It's going to be a good TTT after seeing the one in Romandie.

Columbia and Garmin will fight it out. I edge it to Garmin. Yes, whilst Astana will have solid time trialists in their ranks, they did so last year and still didn't win and Garmin and Columbia train and target TTT's.

Grater said:
It's going to be a good TTT after seeing the one in Romandie.

Columbia and Garmin will fight it out. I edge it to Garmin. Yes, whilst Astana will have solid time trialists in their ranks, they did so last year and still didn't win and Garmin and Columbia train and target TTT's.
Grates... repeat after me... "listen to thunder"

Grater said:

ssssssssssssssss

The new generation of riders is genetically engineered a little bit shorter but more aerodynamic. Muscle mass is more concentrated in the legs, head volume is reduced by 20-25%, shoulders are 8% narrower. In a couple of years, we'll roll out new models with even smaller drag coefficients.

Cavendish to ware the leaders Jersey, and Probably a good chance to stay in it, he's been in great form. Good TTT, but no real suprises.