2009 Giro : Stage 10 : Tuesday, May 19 :Cuneo - Pinerolo : 262kms

Last 5k or so of the first climb is pretty steep, could cause some gaps. However they'll heal up pretty quickly on the descent and up to the start of the climb at Sestriere unless one team really decides to hammer it. Sestriere isn't too hard a climb and the long, straight decent after it means that a group of 60 or so will hit that last climb.

Last climb is short but has a technical descent, then there's a small wall of a climbin Pinarello itself so we could see some small gaps, favouring an attacking rider who descends well. Nothing major though, that last climb just isn't hard enough to really break the peloton apart. A break could well take this but I'm going to guess that the break gets caught on the descent from Sestriere and Simoni goes for glorly over the last climb.

Eldrack said:
Last 5k or so of the first climb is pretty steep, could cause some gaps. However they'll heal up pretty quickly on the descent and up to the start of the climb at Sestriere unless one team really decides to hammer it. Sestriere isn't too hard a climb and the long, straight decent after it means that a group of 60 or so will hit that last climb.

Last climb is short but has a technical descent, then there's a small wall of a climbin Pinarello itself so we could see some small gaps, favouring an attacking rider who descends well. Nothing major though, that last climb just isn't hard enough to really break the peloton apart. A break could well take this but I'm going to guess that the break gets caught on the descent from Sestriere and Simoni goes for glorly over the last climb.
Garzelli would be my early tip. Even Cunego.

Or considering Columbia are on a roll, Pinotti.

It is a massively long stage. Only just realised it's 262km! That's like, 7 hours on the bike. So that last climb might not look like a monster but after that long it could well provide a good oppurtunity to someone who's still going strong.

Average speed for the first two hours, 48.2 KPH. I mean wow. If they keep this up this stage is going to destroy the peloton. Or maybe they just want to get it over with quickly so they don't spend 7 hours in the saddle today.

Grater said:
Garzelli would be my early tip. Even Cunego.

Or considering Columbia are on a roll, Pinotti.
It would not be surprising to see the two of them in an early attack group. they need to try something to revolutionize their giro. Last year Sella climbed back into contention with some attacks from far away. But I don't know if these two have the ehem "legs" to pull it off. Practically the entire Astana team is ahead of Garzelli in the gc, showing some obviously good ehem "legs". they will surely put one of their guys in such a group. Perhaps even Armstrong.
Cunego brought upon himself some minor controversy after a mountain stage, when questioned about his lackluster performance, with a reference to how in recent history we find many final gc's are later re-structured.

No massive time gaps at the finish but with the time bonus Di Luca takes 49 seconds on Rogers, Leipheimer. Pellizotti did well, but he lost time the other day. Sastre pushing up, Menchov now looking very dangerous. Really though the time trial coming up will say it all.

Very interesting racing today. I can see now how DDL's tactic might pay off in the end. He's almost 2' on LL now. The ITT is very technical which might prevent LL and Menchov to gain too much time on DDL. All in all a great day for the Killer.

The "evolution" of Di Luca is very interesting to say the least. In more than one ways.
Anyway, the good thing is that it's probably going to be a nailbitter till the very end unless, ofc, Di Luca proves equally "spectacular" on the ITT.
There are some very interesting mountain finishes in the last week that may suit Sastre and he seems to be in good form. He is better climber than LL and if he decides to push himself for the general and does a good ITT he may suprise a lot of ppl...
Armstrong is riding well IMO too.
For the realists among the public his riding thus far is really good, he recovers well, he keeps himself "in the mix" for most of the time and considering his age and the fact that he spent the last 3 yrs chasing after skirts his form is surprisingly good. Bring on the TdF...

Detail from today's results:

108 PETACCHI Alessandro ITA LPR 6:56:49 26:06:00
111 DANIELSON Tom USA GRM 6:56:49 26:06:00

Looks like Tommy D is evolving into a sprinter?

Cobblestones said:
Very interesting racing today. I can see now how DDL's tactic might pay off in the end. He's almost 2' on LL now. The ITT is very technical which might prevent LL and Menchov to gain too much time on DDL. All in all a great day for the Killer.
Di Luca is riding with huge motive. He knows he has to take every chance. Maybe, at the end, it pays off - maybe not. In any case, it's going to be very interesting till the end.
I have to notice that today's stage showed some serious intentions from Sastre and Menchov (we've already seen his intentions few days before). Also, Liquigas' tactics harmed Basso's position little bit... They should be more careful. It was almost certain Di Luca will try something and they tried to create chance for Pelizotti. Not very smart, but, on the other hand, what they could do? They have to give opportunity to Pelizotti too.

There's 2 TTs, 3 MT finishes and one decent hill finish left. If Di Luca doesn't loose too much time on the TTs and can carry his climbing form through to the longer mountain top finishes then he's going to be very hard to beat.

Eldrack said:
There's 2 TTs, 3 MT finishes and one decent hill finish left. If Di Luca doesn't loose too much time on the TTs and can carry his climbing form through to the longer mountain top finishes then he's going to be very hard to beat.
I think he can handle that last TT very well. It's not too long and if he has the pink jersey on his shoulders - he'll keep it.
His climbing form reminds on 2007.
The difference is - this year's competition is stronger than in 2007. So, interesting two weeks are certain.

DiLuca's having a good Giro.

I do think that Menchov and Sastre present real threats though.

damn thing is, as much as i like rabo, i don't think the team can pull menchov to an edge over danilo. head to head i'm thinking ddl can counter any move menchov throws at him.