2009 Giro : stage 11 : Wed May 20th Torino - Arenzano (Genova) 214kms

Standard flat stage. The climb just before the end is nearly flat, used in Milan San-remo and it never causes any breaks there. Enough of a descent (not very technical) and flat for the sprinters to pull back any oppurtunists.

Cavendish
Petacchi
Davis

Is my pick for this stage.

Eldrack said:
Standard flat stage. The climb just before the end is nearly flat, used in Milan San-remo and it never causes any breaks there. Enough of a descent (not very technical) and flat for the sprinters to pull back any oppurtunists.

Cavendish
Petacchi
Davis

Is my pick for this stage.
dddddddddddddddddd

I reckon a break will go away.

Rogers and Lovkvist will take it easy and so will all the other main contenders.

Look for Millar/Voeckler and Boassen-Hagen to attack.

Bertolini has unfinished business but might leave it to Friday.

If a break doesn't go away, Cav takes the sprint ahead of Boasson-Hagen and Davis.

I think that this stage is set for a breakaway for a rider who poses no challenge on GC.

Unless he's under orders to do otherwise, some like Jens Voigt might get away today.

Otherwise, it's a bunch sprint and it would either be Cav or Alejet (maybe Davis).

There, I've covered me bets!

I don't think breakaway will succeed. Greedy sprinter teams will control the race, hoping for another stage win before series of mountain stages begin.

Cavendish
Petacchi
Farrar
Haedo
Davis

Di Luca won't want his men to do any work for Ale-Jet.

This all depends on who goes in a break.

If Millar tries his luck, then that rules out Garmin doing the pace setting. Yes this should be a bunch sprint, but a lot of riders will want to take it easy today and wont' want a bunch sprint to happen.

Look for Boassen-Hagen today! Very strong feeling he wants to double up and Columbia might be eyeing the points jersey now.

I expect Boassen-Hagen to feature in the breaks on Friday/Saturday/Sunday (havn't looked at the stages yet to see how hard they are for his talents)

Horner is out of the Giro because of a crash yesterday. Got taken out by two riders who crashed in front of him on the descent of the first climb, that's why he was dropped and lost time. Can't walk so didn't start todays stage. Big loss for Astana given how strongly he was going before his crash. I think Rodriguez has dropped out during the stage as well so that's a tough blow for Caisse.

Eldrack said:
Horner is out of the Giro because of a crash yesterday. Got taken out by two riders who crashed in front of him on the descent of the first climb, that's why he was dropped and lost time. Can't walk so didn't start todays stage. Big loss for Astana given how strongly he was going before his crash. I think Rodriguez has dropped out during the stage as well so that's a tough blow for Caisse.
Yes Leipheimer would really have needed Horner since Armstrong alone isn't that much help on the harder mountain stages and the rest of the Astana crew don't seem to have that kind of an edge this year. Though the team is still very strong but Horner would have really helped.