2009 Giro : stage 14 :Saturday, May 23 :Campi Bisenzio - Bologna (San Luca) 172 kms

Escape has to take this

Bertolini is my early guess. Voigt/Millar/Voeckler and all the usual suspects will be there.

I think a break will take this one. Wouldn't be surprised to see Liquigas and Astana burning it on the front of the peloton over the not so steep climbs (4% or so) to try and deaden the legs of the fast finishers.

Di Luca will strike again on that San Luca climb at the finish. It's tailor made for him to pull back few seconds.

Agree with the poster above who thinks a break will take it. If it comes to a bunch finish then i would have thought that Di Luca would get up the climb first. The other teams may not be able to stop this but will be wanting to stop him getting the time bonusses. Di Luca's team may try to pull the break back but i imagine they will already have been working hard so may choose to save their legs for another day. People in the break would be people like Voigt, Pozzatto, Gilbert i would have thought.

Soler to go on one of his long breaks aswell.

I might tip Soler to take this stage.

Nah Soler will target other stages next week.

I like Bertolini tonight to be in an escape.

Visconti should be up there. Same with Gerrans and Mazzanti. Pinotti, Serpa, Grivko, Cioni, Voeckler, Voigt, Cardenas, Lopez will all probably try.

This break should form around 12 - 15 riders IMO.

Mazzanti is the local boy. Has the experience too. Scarponi may be another.

Cunego will probably be in the break too. Hunt for stage wins.

If the break is caught, then I expect Garzelli to take the stage.

Grater said:
Nah Soler will target other stages next week.

I like Bertolini tonight to be in an escape.

Visconti should be up there. Same with Gerrans and Mazzanti. Pinotti, Serpa, Grivko, Cioni, Voeckler, Voigt, Cardenas, Lopez will all probably try.

Mazzanti is the local boy. Has the experience too. Scarponi may be another.

Cunego will probably be in the break too. Hunt for stage wins.

If the break is caught, then I expect Garzelli to take the stage.
Nah... Di Luca will ****** it if the break is caught.
I have to notice that you're suggesting really strong break here... If this happens - it would be the strongest breakaway ever. Breakaway which wouldn't be caught by any chase.
I think there will be a break but not so strong (in quantity as well in quality), with good chance to survive.

Andrija said:
Nah... Di Luca will ****** it if the break is caught.
I have to notice that you're suggesting really strong break here... If this happens - it would be the strongest breakaway ever. Breakaway which wouldn't be caught by any chase.
I think there will be a break but not so strong (in quantity as well in quality), with good chance to survive.
s
Bertolini tonight. He will try. Mazzanti should be in it considering its his home town. However the same was said about pinotti. I think the break that survives will be relatively strong.

Similar thoughts to Grater, A sizeable break will go.

Pretty sure Rabobank will be happy to let one get away and soak up the time bonus's. If they have the control I'd say a break will win. If there is a chase, I think it most likely would come from LPR &/or Acqua Sapone (maybe even Liquigas)

If it's caught I'll pick Pellizotti or Garzelli for the win.

It would be stupid for the other teams except LPR to chase since the finish is tailor-made for DiLuca. I would think that Astana, Liquigas and Rabobank are doing their best to let a breakaway take this so as to not let DiLuca get the 20sec bonus.

So my bet is that a breakaway will take this and the winner is going to be... well I'll tell you in a few hours :)

Grater said:
Good call Grater.
There is 14 riders in the break and at the moment are out to 1:48 lead, that gap should increase heading up this first climb.

Trev_S said:
Good call Grater.
There is 14 riders in the break and at the moment are out to 1:48 lead, that gap should increase heading up this first climb.
Who's in the break??? I still think Diluca will get some time back today

Froome (Barloworld), Vorganov (Xacobeo Galicia), Grivko & Visconti (ISD-Neri), Petrov (Katusha), Deignan & Gerrans (Cervelo), Bertogliati (Diquigiovanni),
Kiryienka (Caisse D'epargne), Gavazzi (Lampre), Bonnafond (AG2R), Cheula (Barloworld), Reda (Quick Step), Muller (Milram)

One of those ISD boys will win or Gerrans will wheel suck like he did at the TDF next year.

Grater said:
One of those ISD boys will win or Gerrans will wheel suck like he did at the TDF next year.
TDF next year, i'll watch out for Gerrans doing that!!! LOL!!! Thanx for the break update though TREV S

Trev_S said:
Froome (Barloworld), Vorganov (Xacobeo Galicia), Grivko & Visconti (ISD-Neri), Petrov (Katusha), Deignan & Gerrans (Cervelo), Bertogliati (Diquigiovanni),
Kiryienka (Caisse D'epargne), Gavazzi (Lampre), Bonnafond (AG2R), Cheula (Barloworld), Reda (Quick Step), Muller (Milram)

Deignan's having a good tour.

That breakaway group should be stronger enough to stay away.
I would reckon that Rabo and LPR will sit there and watch each other.

limerickman said:
Deignan's having a good tour.

That breakaway group should be stronger enough to stay away.
I would reckon that Rabo and LPR will sit there and watch each other.
Yep the break will survive.

Visconti or Grivko are my main two selections here on in. Gerrans is the other danger. Don't rate the rest a chance of winning.

Grater said:
Yep the break will survive.

Visconti or Grivko are my main two selections here on in. Gerrans is the other danger. Don't rate the rest a chance of winning.

Yeah Visconti's going well in this Giro.

he could well be da man for today.

Hope that breakaway group survives.

Lovely weather again today in Italia.

My sisters in Bergamo and she's saying it's 28 degrees today.

I'm hoping Grivko is the man today! He has been desperate aswell as Visconti.

My tip of Bertolini will have to come tomorrow!