2009 Giro : Stage 3 - Monday, May 11: Grado - Valdobbiadene, 198km

I too think it will be a sprint. But there are some bumps in the final third of the stage. If some teams put the hammer down over these hills, it could cause the pure sprinters to tire and maybe even be dropped.

I think Katusha's best chance for a stage win today is to try this tactic. Ben Swift should get over the hills better than Cavendish and Petacchi.

Cav can get over the hills ok these days and he has very strong team to help him get back if he gets dropped. I'll put my vote in for him again.

VdV went down but back on his bike. 5 in the lead by 2:18.

ETA: VdV is out after all. He had a pretty nasty fall and had to retire from the race. A pity for Garmin. They're not having much luck in the Giro so far.

ETA 2: the 5 caught on the decent with about 40 km to go. This is quite early, and considering there's one more bump in the road, it might get unruly.

Several escapes now. Peleton broken up. Crashes. Levi escaped. It's going to be a difficult finish.

ETA: Cav seems to be caught behind. He's to make up some time just to keep the MR.

ETA II: Peleton together again except for the Cav group. He'll be out of pink.

That crash caused some serious problems, will be interesting to see if any off the favourites lost time. Really bad luck for Cavendish.

This stage was a total joke. It is stupid to eliminate GC contenders because of non-exsisting desire to find wider road for final kilometers of flat stage.

Once again the stupidity of the Giro organizers takes first stage...
Why squeeze a full peloton for 20km into such twisting and narrow roads?
Why on earth have the finish line a couple of hundred meters from a blind 90degree turn?
Who designed the stages?

DV1976 said:
Once again the stupidity of the Giro organizers takes first stage...
Why squeeze a full peloton for 20km into such twisting and narrow roads?
Why on earth have the finish line a couple of hundred meters from a blind 90degree turn?
Who designed the stages?
THE IDIOT!!!!!!!!

guncha said:
This stage was a total joke. It is stupid to eliminate GC contenders because of non-exsisting desire to find wider road for final kilometers of flat stage.

You thinking of Menchov? Or Tommy D??

Yeah, shame about those holdups.

Have to say though, LA looks good. Always up there in the front. A nice healthy 15 secs lead on Levi, and more on Basso, not to mention 30secs + on most other GC contenders.

Its very early days I know, but depending on how well he can TT, & he hasnt impressed this year, I can see him winning this race.

And that would be some comeback.

RdBiker said:
Well Tommy-boy needs some reason why he doesn't deliver.
I noticed that today, there were again some narrow corners on the last 10 km. That must be the reason why Tommy D was over 10 minutes late.

Cobblestones said:
I noticed that today, there were again some narrow corners on the last 10 km. That must be the reason why Tommy D was over 10 minutes late.
ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd