2009 Giro : Stage 4 - Tuesday, May 12: Padova - San Martino di Castrozza, 162km

Passed through the feedzone. 6 riders up front including Voigt, about 6-7 min lead.

ETA: Marco Da Dalto down. Could be his right collarbone is broken... Probably not. He's riding again.

ETA: leading group of 6 on the first climb now. Shedding riders.

Three leaders down the first hill. Still more than 4 minutes ahead of the peleton which is driven by LPR and Leakygas.

The three leaders are: Voigt, Bellotti and De Bonis.

ETA: At the bottom of the last climb: same 3 riders up front, gap to peleton is 1:55.

ETA II: Voigt is now alone with about 1:30 on the peleton. The leaders lost De Bonis very early, now Voigt shed Bellotti with a determined attack.

ETA 3: Some attacks from the peleton, among them Soler. All are reeled in but peleton stretches out. Bellotti and De Bonis handed through, Voigt still in the lead but only by 30 seconds.

Soler attacked and looked good on the last two km, but Di Luca sprints past him on the last meters and takes the stage.

Lovkvist in pink. DiLuca 2" behind.

Looks like LA lost a few seconds when gaps opened in the sprint.

Lovkvist is such a n00b. Can't even open the champagne bottle properly.

Armstrong is probably going to get dropped out of the race tomorrow. The other riders now know that he can't keep up with the top guns so they'll do their best to drop him as early as possible. Until today his fitness was a question mark but since he lost that 15sec everyone knows what tactics to race if they want him out of contention for the GC. At least Di Luca wants to drop him (according to an interview) so I'll bet LPR will drive a high tempo tomorrow.

Interesting stage despite it not causing too many gaps. All the people we know are going to be up there finished in that front group and everyone else who got caught out by the accelerations only lost a few seconds. Interesting times to me where as follows:

Rodriquez lost time again today, doesn't look like he's going well so he could loose a lot off time tomorrow. Good performance by Lokvist, maybe motivated by the thought off pink, also Rogers was impressive for Columbia. Was surprised how high up Wiggins finished, looks like he's learnt how to climb (and no I'm not implying anything there). Armstrong losing 15 seconds means he's definitely going to be relegated too domestique duties, Astana would do well to put him on the front burning a hard pace at the bottom off tomorrows climb where it's flatter and then let Leipheimer fly on the steeper second half.

Eldrack said:
Interesting stage despite it not causing too many gaps. All the people we know are going to be up there finished in that front group and everyone else who got caught out by the accelerations only lost a few seconds. Interesting times to me where as follows:

Rodriquez lost time again today, doesn't look like he's going well so he could loose a lot off time tomorrow. Good performance by Lokvist, maybe motivated by the thought off pink, also Rogers was impressive for Columbia. Was surprised how high up Wiggins finished, looks like he's learnt how to climb (and no I'm not implying anything there). Armstrong losing 15 seconds means he's definitely going to be relegated too domestique duties, Astana would do well to put him on the front burning a hard pace at the bottom off tomorrows climb where it's flatter and then let Leipheimer fly on the steeper second half.
If I was Bruyneel I'd burn Popo and Horner on the lower slopes and leave Lance for a bit later, IF he's in better shape than those two. This is because Leipheimer can't be left alone from Astana against Lökvist+Rogers and the duo from Liquigas.

RdBiker said:
If I was Bruyneel I'd burn Popo and Horner on the lower slopes and leave Lance for a bit later, IF he's in better shape than those two. This is because Leipheimer can't be left alone from Astana against Lökvist+Rogers and the duo from Liquigas.
Based on todays stage Popo is in better form, however Janez B might be a better pick once the road goes really steep. I think they might have higher hopes for Horner as well. I guess Rubiera will be the first one to burn himself out.

RdBiker said:
Armstrong is probably going to get dropped out of the race tomorrow. The other riders now know that he can't keep up with the top guns so they'll do their best to drop him as early as possible. Until today his fitness was a question mark but since he lost that 15sec everyone knows what tactics to race if they want him out of contention for the GC. At least Di Luca wants to drop him (according to an interview) so I'll bet LPR will drive a high tempo tomorrow.
I don't think Armstrong is a major concern for anybody at this point. Even in the time trials Levi has been a lot stronger. Unless maybe Lance has been sandbagging it, but I don't think so. Can't hide the truth any longer! The old fart has some catching up to do if he wants to be mixing it up by Tour time. As far as him expecting to win a stage, he'd better break out the good stuff if he wants to do that.

looks like tomorrow's stage might just be just what it takes to push Armstrong back into retirement... it will be super fast from the gun and then boom! horrendous climb slaps you in the face.