2009 Giro : Stage 8 Saturday, May 16 Morbegno - Bergamo 209kms

Bring this one to the top.

Again it will be a similar outcome to the last few days.

Either a break will get away or get caught and then riders counter attack.

Gilbert will try something today. Garzelli won a similar stage to this last year. This stage finishes in Pinotti's home town. Look for him to either be in the early break or if he isn't, then Columbia will chase the break down near the end and Launch Pinotti to counter-attack.

Whatever happens, Pinotti will be an attacking rider tomorrow.

A break could easily take this stage, that hill in the finale just 2 miles before the end makes it hard for the sprinters to control the stage especially given the other two climbs. Might see a few attacks from GC men looking to take a few seconds on that last climb perhaps?

Anyone who's over two minutes down could be allowed in the break so it's hard to pick a winner. I'm going to pick Millar for the win.

Eldrack said:
A break could easily take this stage, that hill in the finale just 2 miles before the end makes it hard for the sprinters to control the stage especially given the other two climbs. Might see a few attacks from GC men looking to take a few seconds on that last climb perhaps?

Anyone who's over two minutes down could be allowed in the break so it's hard to pick a winner. I'm going to pick Millar for the win.
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Who will ISD send? Cioni, Grivko or Visconti?

Serramenti? Scarponi to try again or Jose Serpra?

Garzelli will try something.

BBox - Tschopp, Sprick or Voeckler

Saxo - Cancellara or Voigt

Garmin - When is Millar going to try an escape?

Columbia - Pinotti

Lampre - Mori

Barloworld - Belotti?

Quick-Step - Hulsmans?

Lotto - Gilbert would almost certainly try something

Katusha - Ignatiev?

Milram - Fothen's? Schroeder? Rohregger?

Eldrack said:

Millar hasn't done anything yet which is surprising. He might take a chance on this stage surely? Garmin will know it won't be a sprint finish.

Millar's odds $126 for the win and $31 for the place.

It's a relatively large breakaway, but only 1' away. Universal sports commentator going on about a LA stagewin. He might finally have realized that LA is out of GC. Unfortunately he picked up this LA stagewin drivel.

ETA: last hill starts now. I hope we see a counterattack?

The groups are splitting all over this final climb.

Horner, Garzelli, pelizotti all climbing well.

Lovely weather.

Leipheimer trying to bridge the gap to Garzelli group.

I think this front group sense that they can remove Di Luca from the maglia rosa.

Mick Rogers going well too.

EBH catching up with the lead. And why did Pellizotti take a turn in front?

Leipheimer's still a wuzz. He and Horner should just share the work. But LL is just sitting in there. What a loser.

Looked like Rogers and EBH were hoping to stay away, but Horner and especially LL didn't want to share the work.

Cobblestones said:
Looked like Rogers and EBH were hoping to stay away, but Horner and especially LL didn't want to share the work.

I think you're right.

It looked like Rogers wanted to go for it.

limerickman said:
I think you're right.

It looked like Rogers wanted to go for it.

At least they shrank the peloton quite a bit. I wonder who of the fast guys is still in there. Maybe EBH will go over the last little speedbump well enough to get a second win?

ETA: and cobblestones now!!!