2009 TDF : Stage 1 : Saturday 4 July : Monaco > Monaco: 15kms

I would expect Canellara to remain in good form and take this stage. It will be interesting to see if Contador goes all out in this stage as Armstrong did a few years back and go for the early yellow.

Monaco - what a beautiful destination to hold a ITT in.
Wonder will they do the F1 circuit?
All the women sunbathing on the yachts in the marina!
Oh man.

Cancellara is in great form but so is Contador and this course does have some climbing in it. I'm going to go with Contador to win here to start the race, then on Ventoux to end it.

jhuskey said:
I would expect Canellara to remain in good form and take this stage. It will be interesting to see if Contador goes all out in this stage as Armstrong did a few years back and go for the early yellow.
I think Contador will go all out. He has to show right from the beginning he's in form and that he has to be supported. I don't think he'll take the Yellow jersey but that would be useful... His teammates/rivals would have to work a bit and tyre themselves.

Eldrack said:
Cancellara is in great form but so is Contador and this course does have some climbing in it. I'm going to go with Contador to win here to start the race, then on Ventoux to end it.
Contador may have a chance at beating Cancellara on a course like like this, if Cancellara has an extremely bad day!!. I think Cancellara would have to be the favourite for this one

For me the question is: who of GC candidates will be the best, and who will be the best in Astana?

Andrija said:
... and who will be the best in Astana?

I'm interested in this as well, especially if Levi can reach his potential. Even Kloden can put in a decent TT, but I'm afraid I'd have to put my money on Alberto.

I favour Cancellara but certainly think Contador could even win it especially with this course. Likewise I think Contador will want to stamp a little authority.

If Contador wins this, he will more than likely lose the yellow jersey in the TTT anyway or the stage on thursday which Kirchen will win. So considering he knows he won't be in it for long, then he might stamp some authority.

Plus Astana could easily not defend it tomorrow and let a break go so Contador loses it.........

If it rains tomorrow then it will--for the love of Ligget, dare I say it?--put a cat among the pigeons. Armstrong starts early and the other contenders start late. I hope Bruyneel and Armstrong have miscalculated and it pisses down on Armstrong like the flood of Noah. Sad as it makes me: 1) Cancellara 2) Armstrong 3) Contador

Surprise, surprise!! Just watched Phil and Paul drool over David Millar's effort. A solo camera on Millar as well.

No_Positives said:
Surprise, surprise!! Just watched Phil and Paul drool over David Millar's effort. A solo camera on Millar as well.

I do agree with this. There is a disproportionate focus on him. He is a drug cheat and should be largely ignored in all media coverage.