Aug 12, 2001
Stage 17 Bourg-Saint-Maurice -> Le Grand-Bornand 169.5 km

MOUNTAIN PASSES & HILLS

Km 18.0: Cormet de Roselend (D.902-D.925) - 18.1 km climb to 5.7 % - Category 1
Km 56.0: Col des Saisies - 15.1 km climb to 6 % - Category 1
Km 111.5 - Côte d'Araches - 6.3 km climb to 7 % - Category 2
Km 140.5: Col de Romme - 8.8 km climb to 8.9 % - Category 1
Km 154.5: Col de la Colombière - 7.5 km climb to 8.5 % - Category 1

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCriHYOu3o8"]YouTube - Analysis of the stage 17[/ame]

General classification after stage 16 ( top 25 )

1 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 67:33:15
2 Lance Armstrong (USA) Astana 0:01:37
3 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Garmin - Slipstream 0:01:46
4 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana 0:02:17
5 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:26
6 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas 0:02:51
7 Christophe Le Mevel (Fra) Française des Jeux 0:03:09
8 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:03:25
9 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:03:52
10 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Slipstream 0:03:59
11 Mikel Astarloza Chaurreau (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0:04:38
12 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas 0:04:40
13 Kim Kirchen (Lux) Team Columbia - HTC 0:05:05
14 Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:05:26
15 Sandy Casar (Fra) Française des Jeux 0:05:40
16 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha 0:05:56
17 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence - Lotto 0:07:23
18 Luis León Sánchez Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0:08:23
19 Stéphane Goubert (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:09:14
20 Brice Feillu (Fra) Agritubel 0:10:00
21 Peter Velits (Svk) Team Milram 0:10:54
22 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Silence - Lotto 0:11:11
23 Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Team Milram 0:11:16
24 Alexandre Botcharov (Rus) Team Katusha 0:11:33
25 Haimar Zubeldia Aguirre (Spa) Astana 0:13:26

I am looking forward this stage. This looks harder than similar stages in previous tours. Last two climbs are very steep and there is only 5km decent between those two. Possibly someone might loose the time during 15km decent to Grand Bornard.

It will be a windy stage. Weather forecasts predict strong SSO wind, maybe 60km/h or even stronger on top of mountains. That could help a lot the earlier breakaways. The end of Colombiere and the downhill could be difficult.

If Sastre has anything in his legs this year today is the day or never.
Saxo will have to rely a lot on Cancellara to sacrifice himself for as long as he can go with Jens gone.
I still don't believe anyone can stay with Contador if he puts on the gas so not much change in the standings.
I think the challenge for second place might be the more exciting race, Armstrong, Kloden, Wiggins..........??

I would concur with JH's analysis.
Today is the day that Sastre has to make his move.
Although he can time trial - he needs to gain an advantage in todays stage and maintain that advantage at ventoux.

it will be interesting to see how Armstrong goes today and whether or not he can still the pace in the very high mountains.

should be an interesting stage.

I see the God of Thunder ate his wheaties today...

... I remember Luis Herrera retiring because "the big fat guys were going off the front and dropping me on the mountains"

He can sprint, he can climb... from the near crash it doesn't look like he can descend for **** though.

So I'm sitting watching the tour thinking "damn that looks familiar" then I realise - I've ridden some of these climbs!! I rode an Etap du Tour years and year ago from Aime to Cluses. I've climbed Saisies and Colombiere - ahhh memories...

Should be fun watching Saxo Bank and Astana trying to dislodge Wiggins whils trying to kill each other at the same time.

Should be a wicked stage!

How well is Thor climbing? Methinks he's going to blow up in a HUGE way sometime soon...

Eldron said:
So I'm sitting watching the tour thinking "damn that looks familiar" then I realise - I've ridden some of these climbs!! I rode an Etap du Tour years and year ago from Aime to Cluses. I've climbed Saisies and Colombiere - ahhh memories...

Should be fun watching Saxo Bank and Astana trying to dislodge Wiggins whils trying to kill each other at the same time.

Should be a wicked stage!

How well is Thor climbing? Methinks he's going to blow up in a HUGE way sometime soon...

I think he's just out on a mission for the sprint bonuses. I can't see him trying to go all the way even if he's planning on using the time trial as a rest day...

Contador might put the gas on but he doesn't need to attack. He just needs to maintain.

watching the schleck brothers and contador on these slopes is like watching cats toy with mice. unreal what they're doing to all the other riders.

He's gone but I agree, he didn't have to attack. Could have stayed and help Kloden. Maybe Kloden is going to drop back now and help Armstrong.

Good stage! First place is a lock up with the exception or illness or a crash.

David_Zen said:
He's gone but I agree, he didn't have to attack. Could have stayed and help Kloden. Maybe Kloden is going to drop back now and help Armstrong.
sort of quintessential armstrong-ride right past the guy who dragged his ass up the mountain on sunday just to put time into him. klodi needs a new team.