2009 TDF stage 18: Annecy - Annecy 40.5 km

Mansmind those sites look to me to be part of a gun lobby not actually an unbiased source such as the ABS. Do you own a gun? I don't but I own a bike, a lot more fun to me.

tonyzackery said:
And how much faster could Contador have gone with a better position? He was constantly moving back on his saddle throughout the entire TT...Well done, AC.

You noticed that to eh? Actually I noticed more than one rider doing that some today.. including Armstrong.

bells said:
Mansmind those sites look to me to be part of a gun lobby not actually an unbiased source such as the ABS. Do you own a gun? I don't but I own a bike, a lot more fun to me.

As I said in my post above.. I do, but I'm FAR from a zealot. I haven't fired one of mine in more than a decade. I personally have very little interest in them.. and don't feel safer because I have them. (they're not handguns)

My only point in this is that the right to own them is important I believe. Look at what happened in Iran recently. Granted that is an extreme case, but it appears to me that the government is/was oppressive... in the end the people have nothing but sticks and rocks, and certainly no option to deal with it in elections.

I don't think guns lower crime rates (not really), but I also realize they don't make them go up either. Crime is committed by criminals, and criminals could care less what is legal or not legal... by definition.

I guess in a hypothetical situation, if someone came into my home with the intention of harming me or mine... I'd rather be standing there with the ability to defend myself as opposed being basically helpless. Obviously this potential doesn't bother me enough to have a hand gun readily available..but I can certainly understand those that do.

**and yes I agree.. a bike is MUCH more fun. :) I remember seeing a thread here once titled something like "do you carry when you ride?". I was amazed at the number of people that do frankly, and amazed again at the apparent philosophy of some of those individuals.

nonns said:
Have you ever ridden the Tour?
Have you ever become a Tour champion having suffered from a near temrinal illness experience?
Have you ever started a cancer charity?
Have you got the wit/nouse charisma etc. to pull together sufficient people to support you?

What a foul record LA has. Truly disgusting. I for one would kill to have such a CV. Blimey a grand champion and an all round good guy.

If he was such a terrible person people would steer clear. Enough people seem to wish to associate with him that whilst I can see that he might be a tiresome big mouth he's probably not all bad and by golly he can put up a fight.

What's he done that probably most of the pack hasn't other than won 7 times. Taken drugs? OK so every day we find yet another so called innocent being proved to have taken them in spite of claiming otherwise.

I fully support the guy. At least he's doing something worth while. For sheer entertainment he's good value and he's showing balls (err ball) in adversity also.

Whilst I'm certian that a lot of the stuff is hype enough of it is good that frankly I think he's to be lauded.

Why do you have such an epic chip on your shoulder about him? SOB is very strong. Has he hurt you?

he's a talented man of course. but our problem with him is he's done more for doping than any other rider. integrity should be part and parcel of being a champion and he has none. u can say "sure they're all on something, its alevel playing field" all you want. but then the principles of sport (determination, dedication, physiological greatness) are dead

tonyzackery said:
And how much faster could Contador have gone with a better position? He was constantly moving back on his saddle throughout the entire TT...Well done, AC.

FPT.
Probably using fart propulsion technology.

tonyzackery said:

If you believe he's on dope then that would be explained by the fact that he's obvsiouly so juiced that he has to constantly hold himself back or it gets embarrassing. Yep folks Contador would actually be faster without the bike.
Its only his cleats and a concern about public opinion that is preventing him binning the machine and flying through the air.

As for the comments in Velonews from Cancellara ref the motor pacing of Conti. They got it wrong. The motor bikes were unable to get away but were simply wafted along on the bow wave of turbulence from Conti.

Hey we've had accusations of LA taing blood money I fail to see why this couldn't be true of Conti

I ought to say I have no idea whether he's fuelled or not. Stonking performance

Scotttri said:
Well im suprised contador could even stand with the amount of drugs he clearly has to be on. I know people can make improvements in disciplines with practice, but going from very average to winning a stage like that is a crock of sh#t. I hope he does get caught!!!

Of course he could stand what happens to a long floppy hose if you tie one end up and pump water into it at high pressure. It goes all stiff and stands up. Well Same for a cyclist. Assuming its dope he was pumping presumably he goes all stiff and can stand too.

Mind you it doesn't explain his consistent performances in time trials (he's been gradually improving). He's the Spanish time trial champion. The less cynical amongst us might conclude that a talented guy with lots of potential came to the Tour after perfect race prep and is laying down the law.

The more cynical might conclude the same with the addition of a healthy dose of whatever.

Contador hadnt impressed anyone in TT before he joined Bruyneel. Yesterday's ride was ridiculous. It wasnt spectacular or anything, it was ridiculous. We are being taken for a ride lads and lasses and I aint going along. This is where I stop.

Nothing wrong with Contador's performance, it's just like this since EPO.
We had seen it with Indurain, Riis, Ullrich, Pantani, Armstrong, Landis or Contador. Of course it were true for Pereiro and Sastre but done "smoothly"
A new era is born with new PFC that seems clearly better than the precedent program. Evreyone would want an upgrade.

Why dont't we start each stage by each rider drinking three beers.At each feeding station they must drink three more. At the 15 km to go mark they must drink one beer at each km mark.Anyone to wobble across the fininsh line wins.
I think the beer will offset the possibility of drugs use and we can switch off to wine on the mountain stages.

a big cleaning job for the mechanics when they rowlf all over the bikes after makign a big effort though.

Imagine the huge job of classifying the beers they're allowed to drink.

LA drinks Tennants Export. Scandal. Unfair advantage. The power of the wee stream it generates provides unfair advantage up the climbs.

nonns said:
a big cleaning job for the mechanics when they rowlf all over the bikes after makign a big effort though.

Nah, fans would snag the vomit just like the water bottles as keepsakes.

jhuskey said:
Why dont't we start each stage by each rider drinking three beers.At each feeding station they must drink three more. At the 15 km to go mark they must drink one beer at each km mark.Anyone to wobble across the fininsh line wins.
I think the beer will offset the possibility of drugs use and we can switch off to wine on the mountain stages.
i am on board with this idea if only because it hews so closely to my personal training regime. although on mountain stages i would suggest you consider hundred proof stoli if only because it'll be less weight to haul uphill.