2009 TDF : Stage 2 :Sunday 5 July : Monaco > Brignoles : 187 kms

I'll be first to comment and besides it will be a busy weekend for me. This is not a leg burning mountainous stage but it doesn't look like a Sunday stroll either. Several riders could try an early break over the first climb and who know, someone just might hold on to a successful break before the final sprint.
Jens Voight is one that comes to mind that could control this terrain with a little help.

I think it will be decided in bunch sprint. That first climb is opportunity for escape, but it's too far from the finish, as it is the next one. Peloton will have enough time to catch every break started on these two bumps, especially on that long flat stretch after the last bump and after that intermediate sprint. Voigt would prefer some medium mountain stages further in the race with more cats. 2.

I am just happy it starts tomorrow and the forum is back with a nwe look.

I think a bunch sprint is highly likely.
I don't think the sprinter teams are going to let their first opportunity get away from them.
I wonder though whether that last little hill kicker at 10km's out can upset the apple cart.

Hard to go past Cavendish for the win though.

Absolutely lovely weather at todays stage.

Sunny/warm conditions.

Love those SaxoBank jerseys : very classy.

Anyone seen VS coverage? I just turned it on.

They now show the position of 5 jerseys in the bottom. The yellow, polka dot, green, white and an Astana kit. :eek:

Now: Frankie chatting with LA. Awkward

A crash.

I'll turn off again and have a late breakfast.

limerickman said:
Absolutely lovely weather at todays stage.

Sunny/warm conditions.

I think it is a bit too warm though. Isn't it supposed to cool down a bit in the next few days?

Cobblestones said:
Anyone seen VS coverage? I just turned it on.

They now show the position of 5 jerseys in the bottom. The yellow, polka dot, green, white and an Astana kit. :eek:

Now: Frankie chatting with LA. Awkward

A crash.

I'll turn off again and have a late breakfast.

Yeah, Frankie's interviews are interesting. If one didn't know the history, it would be fine as both have handled it very professionally. But seriously, can't the producers let Frankie interview ANYONE else...

Dangerous finish to todays stage.

What is it with the ASO ?
They always have stages finishing intowns with lots of road furniture and narrow streets.
Very dangerous

JAPANic said:
Predictable finish except for Japan's 5th place. Way to go Yukiya!

Now he has had a whiff of blood he will try again...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoHKAM4y2oE"]YouTube - Tour de France 2009 Stage 2 Final Kilometers[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMx8Xcfe4pc"]YouTube - Tour de France 2009 - Stage 2 - Final kilometers and sprint[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-qX8Rsimfo"]YouTube - Interview - Stage 2[/ame]

limerickman said:
Really? I find them a tad generic.

Say what you will about the Columbia jerseys but they stand out. I wish Slipstream would re-emphasize the argyle on their kit as well. THAT was class.