2009 Trek 1.2

ss4brian

Oct 6, 2013
I found a 2009 Trek 1.2 road bike on my local craigslist for 425. Is this a good beginners bike for road cycling? I'm new to road biking and was looking into getting one and thought that this bike would be a decent one to start off with. Any ideas and feedback on this bike and the price? Should I offer something lower? Thanks in advance.

The Trek 1.2 is a decent choice for an entry level bike. A brand new 2013 1.2 has a MSRP of $930 (probably sells for closer to $850), so paying around half price could be a great deal or a not so hot deal depending upon condition and fit.

First of all, the bike HAS to fit you. If it does not, it is no deal regardless of price.

Secondly, for $425 you should expect the example you're looking at to be in very good condition and needed maintenance items to be few and addressed for very little cash outlay.

The new 1.2 is a shimaNO Sora 9-speed with a compact crankset, for comparison purposes.

Hi. I bought the trek 1.2 about a year ago and have been very happy with it. It is my first road bike. In the next 6 months or so I'm thinking of upgrades and was wondering where to start? Is the frame good enough to make upgrades worth while? Cheers

Road bikes are a "solution" that you can use in "Franken-mode".

You can upgrade as you like - need and flip parts to a newer frame - parts.

They all have the same dropouts etc...

Some fixie frames etc might need some specific parts.

Worth upgrading? Sure.. As long as you dont want to upgrade "a lot", where you might get a better deal getting a new bike with the parts you want...

Btw...
big-smile.png

0.jpg