2009 Zipp 404 carbon tire sizes

Curb

Oct 24, 2007
Anyone know the recommend size tires for the new 2009 Zip 404 tubular carbon wheels?

recommended for what uses?

From a time trialing and aero standpoint Zipp will point you to their 21mm Tangente tubies, but for general mass start racing it depends a lot on the roads you ride and your budget.

What's most important to you: aerodynamics, rolling resistance, weight, durability, comfort, puncture resistance, price?

Usuage, training, club rides some crits racing Metro PA area.

daveryanwyoming said:
recommended for what uses?

From a time trialing and aero standpoint Zipp will point you to their 21mm Tangente tubies, but for general mass start racing it depends a lot on the roads you ride and your budget.

What's most important to you: aerodynamics, rolling resistance, weight, durability, comfort, puncture resistance, price?

In that case you don't have to worry too much about specific size other than the basic 650c vs 700c question but I'll go out on a very stout limb and guess you've got standard 700c wheels.

Basically for everyday use without breaking the bank you could go with something like the Conti Giro which is a 22mm wide tire so good if you're not riding a lot of really rough roads. It's not uber light but also not uber expensive.

Conti Sprinters are a lighter more expensive race tire but if you've got the money to burn on training tires you could ride it day to day.

Vittoria Corsa Cxs have always been one of my favorite racing tires, but they've gotten really pricey over the years so I doubt I'd train day to day on them.

The Vittoria Pave is a slightly wider, more comfortable tire suitable for rougher roads and bad weather but something you could certainly race on as well.

The point is that the only dimension you're really stuck with is overall wheel diameter (typically 700c) and you can pick and choose quite a bit in terms of tire width based on comfort, durability, weight and price. You don't need to run any particular width on those Zipp rims but from what you describe I wouldn't run something really narrow or ultra light for day to day riding and training on a variety of roads unless you really like buying and mounting tires.

Good luck,
-Dave

Curb said:
Anyone know the recommend size tires for the new 2009 Zip 404 tubular carbon wheels?
No offense intended, but why do you post the same question more than one time?

As far as the tire size, that depends on your WEIGHT as much as some other considerations.

It depends. New Zipp rims (202, 303, 404) work optimally with a 23 mm tire, or so Zipp says. Running a more narrow tire makes the rim less efficient aerodynamically. A 22 mm tire will get you by, as will a 24/25.

Excuse me sir,
Who knows why it was posted twice. Maybe it was a mistake or I needed to edit my title. I've notice that in this forum, if you are not very specific with what you post, you get a lot of useless unhelpful responses. So please stick to the subjects and give best experience response you can instead of worrying about trivial unrelated things. Thanks.:)

alfeng said:
No offense intended, but why do you post the same question more than one time?

As far as the tire size, that depends on your WEIGHT as much as some other considerations.

Curb said:
Thanks Dave! Excellent information that I looking for!
If I was you I would only buy conti attack force these are the only tires that a bike rider needs. I have been racing for 15 years and its all I use no punctures good ware and most of all GRIP. I got a free set of swallbs a couple of weeks ago no conti in stock and have had 2 punctures conti all the way. Id bet my bike on them there are that good.

The Bullet said:
If I was you I would only buy conti attack force these are the only tires that a bike rider needs. I have been racing for 15 years and its all I use no punctures good ware and most of all GRIP. I got a free set of swallbs a couple of weeks ago no conti in stock and have had 2 punctures conti all the way. Id bet my bike on them there are that good.

Those are clincher tires, not tubular tires. I'm pretty sure the OP has tubies 'cuz he also started a thread about removing glue. There are tubies much better than the tubies from Continental.

Correct, I only use
2009 Vittoria Corsa Evo CX Tubular Tire 320 TPI Corespun K
Been using these for about 3 years now. Previous versions had 290 TPI.
I also have a stach of Veloflex Carbons that I used to like but now use the Vittorias exclusively.
I also use Continental's Competition tubulars but these would always flat on me so i stop using them.

alienator said:
Those are clincher tires, not tubular tires. I'm pretty sure the OP has tubies 'cuz he also started a thread about removing glue. There are tubies much better than the tubies from Continental.