2010 Amgen Tour of California: Stage 5: Visalia to Bakersfield

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
2010 Amgen Tour of California: Stage 5: Visalia to Bakersfield

After departing Visalia, the race will head due south through the towns of Exeter and Lindsay. Just south of Porterville, the route heads further inland and tackles the narrow and twisty Old Stage Rd. into the town of Woody. Continuing on to Bakersfield, the route heads into the Kern River oil field, the fifth largest in the United States, where the riders will encounter several short, steep climbs. From atop the final climb, the cyclists will be able to look down onto the finish at Bakersfield College. The final obstacle is a 10 percent climb up China Grade, and after that the stage will come to an end with two finishing circuits in Bakersfield.

Stage Map
View attachment 12163

Stage Profile
View attachment 12164

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QWcAjA5bI]YouTube - Amgen Tour of California Stage 5: Visalia to Bakersfield[/ame]

Armstrong crashes, drops out of California tour

View attachment 12165

Fans out to witness legendary cyclist Lance Armstrong cruise by during Stage 5 of the Amgen Tour of California were disappointed Thursday when the rider was involved in a crash and taken off the course.

Armstrong's longtime coach Johan Bruyneel tweeted Thursday that Armstrong was involved in a "huge" crash and "had to abandon and is going to the hospital for Xrays."

Link: Lance Armstrong crashes in Stage 5 of Tour of California, taken to hospital and Armstrong Crashes Out Of Amgen Tour Of California | Cyclingnews.com

nns1400 said:
Looks like someone punched him in the face to me....

It would be a shame if he was unable to start the tour de france

steve said:
It would be a shame if he was unable to start the tour de france

He may find it risky to go to France anytime soon...maybe he'll come to Missouri! :p

nns1400 said:
He may find it risky to go to France anytime soon...maybe he'll come to Missouri! :p

Doubtful, there is no race there anymore :eek:

steve said:
Armstrong crashes, drops out of California tour

View attachment 12165

Fans out to witness legendary cyclist Lance Armstrong cruise by during Stage 5 of the Amgen Tour of California were disappointed Thursday when the rider was involved in a crash and taken off the course.

Armstrong's longtime coach Johan Bruyneel tweeted Thursday that Armstrong was involved in a "huge" crash and "had to abandon and is going to the hospital for Xrays."

Link: Lance Armstrong crashes in Stage 5 of Tour of California, taken to hospital and Armstrong Crashes Out Of Amgen Tour Of California | Cyclingnews.com
It's Landis' fault!
Reviving the memories could be painful.
Freud could interpret it.
I really hope he'll start the Tour in best shape he can.

steve said:
Doubtful, there is no race there anymore :eek:

Oh, people are grabbing on to false hope that Lance will come and save the day. :rolleyes:

He could throw in a million dollars, that would help, lol

Lance on twitter: I'm alive. Fell face first and banged elbow pretty good. Xrays on the elbow were neg.

steve said:
Lance on twitter: I'm alive. Fell face first and banged elbow pretty good. Xrays on the elbow were neg.
Good to hear Xrays were negative ("negative" is Armstrong's forename). I just hope he'll enter the Tour in the best possible shape. The crash mustn't be excuse.

Andrija said:
Good to hear Xrays were negative ("negative" is Armstrong's forename). I just hope he'll enter the Tour in the best possible shape. The crash mustn't be excuse.

Obviously his injuries arn't to serious, ASO would be the only barrier. LA and Co. will manage this manage this saga well, it will probably be forgotten come Tour time.

(Asked if this changes plans for the Tour de France )"Absolutely not. We all know that Floyd won’t be in France telling the story."

(Regarding if ASO reacts negatively to the team selection for the Tour de France)" At the end of the day why would they do that? We have a person who has been under oath several times with a completely different version, written a book with a completely different version, someone that took people’s money. He said he has no proof. It is his word verses ours. We like our word. We like where we stand. We like our credibility. I don’t think there is a lot of credibility on the other side so why would ASO think any differently. Keep in mind back in the day there was all this talk that Floyd said he had pictures of a refrigerated motorcycle. Where is that? It’s all a bunch of bull**** and never existed.

Read more: Lance Responds to Landis Allegations | Team Radioshack

Press Release: No fractures for Lance Armstrong after his crash

Team RadioShack’s Lance Armstrong suffered a severe left elbow contusion with big haematoma as well as a 3 cm/1.2 inch complex swollen laceration under his left eye.

Armstrong was involved in an early crash in the 5th stage (Visalia-Bakersfield) as the road narrowed. Several riders went down in the crash. Armstrong resumed riding after the crash for about 10km but had to abandon because his eye was swollen shut.

After the crash Lance Armstrong was evaluated by Race doctor Ramin Modabber and Team doctor Dag Van Elslande in the Team bus. They administered eight stitches below his left eye. Armstrong was taken to Bakersfield Memorial Hospital for precautionary X-rays which were negative.

Read more: Team RadioShack News

nns1400 said:
Oh, people are grabbing on to false hope that Lance will come and save the day. :rolleyes:

He could throw in a million dollars, that would help, lol

Medalist Sports is saying Lance contacted them and said if the race is on he intends to be in it. So they want to get the word out to try to save the race. But I'm a bit skeptical...And now the only news in the whole wide world is this Landis thing so I doubt we will hear anything more about the ToM from Lance...

nns1400 said:
Medalist Sports is saying Lance contacted them and said if the race is on he intends to be in it. So they want to get the word out to try to save the race. But I'm a bit skeptical...And now the only news in the whole wide world is this Landis thing so I doubt we will hear anything more about the ToM from Lance...

There you go, I haven't been following the ToM thing. Lances presence did boost crowd numbers at the tour down under, it was very noticeable compared to pre-lance. It might have got ToM across the line?

I posted the details of this under the ToM thread, but why didn't Medalist say this two weeks ago? Why didn't Lance say it? I'm just slightly skeptical.

steve said:
There you go, I haven't been following the ToM thing. Lances presence did boost crowd numbers at the tour down under, it was very noticeable compared to pre-lance. It might have got ToM across the line?

Also, crowd numbers aren't the issue. The ToM is a hugely successful event. It's being shut down due to a personal vendetta by an idiot.

Wow--Peter Sagan. He's standing out amongst some really good riders.

Wow part II--Andy Schleck. Shelled off the back of the last climb.

Wow part III--The Missouri Governor and Tourism Director. These people are criminally stupid.