2010 Force or 6700 Ultegra

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
I have a fairly new frame that has the older 105; I have test ridden bikes with 6700 and Force and I'm considering upgrading my current group to either one of these two. I don't race but I ride in very hilly terrain and like to go fast. The big question I have is about front shifting: (compact chainrings) the 6700 shifted great; the Force seemed hesitant at times and noisier?; but it could be due to my lack of experience with SRAM shifting or maybe the bikes were not set up properly. Which one is better (consistent, less adjusting, durable, reliable, easier to set up) at front shifting?
I was leaning towards Force at first but the front shifting has me looking at 6700 real close now. Pricing seems comparable...

Any insights?
Thanks!

Campy guy here, but if I was chosing between the two, I'd go with 6700. The front derailleur shifting/chainring stiffness being the deciding factor. Also, I'm a fan of alloy cranks over carbon ones (wish Campy still made a Record alloy crankset and in a compact option as well).

Sorry but I haven't ever used Sram but my Ultegra 6700 front shifting is simply superb. That's with a compact. A notable improvement on the Shimano 105 on my other bike which was quite good in any case.

I've only played with SRAM in the shop so can't state nothing about it's performace. I've read in specialized magazines that SRAM is noisy but precise.
I own the 6600 Ultegra, it is less than a year old, in my newest bike. I had an old 8 spd 105 on another bike.
6600 is a great improvement I suppose 6700 could be even better.
So with my 6600 shifting is instant front or rear and very silent even under a little stress in the front and I have tested it going uphill and putting pressure on the pedals and there is no hesitation with the rear shifting.
IMHO 6600 is a great performing group and I've read and heard the same for newer 105s.
Hope this helps, as stated before can comment on Shimano from my experience.

rparedes said:
I have a fairly new frame that has the older 105; I have test ridden bikes with 6700 and Force and I'm considering upgrading my current group to either one of these two. I don't race but I ride in very hilly terrain and like to go fast. The big question I have is about front shifting: (compact chainrings) the 6700 shifted great; the Force seemed hesitant at times and noisier?; but it could be due to my lack of experience with SRAM shifting or maybe the bikes were not set up properly. Which one is better (consistent, less adjusting, durable, reliable, easier to set up) at front shifting?
I was leaning towards Force at first but the front shifting has me looking at 6700 real close now. Pricing seems comparable...

Any insights?
Thanks!

6700. Better BB bearings, better chainrings, much better FD shifting. All around much better.