2010 Giro d' Italia: Stage 19: Brescia to Aprica, 195 km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
2010 Giro d' Italia: Stage 19: Brescia to Aprica, 195 km

This stage contains four categorized climbs, visiting the summit finish in Aprica once before the actual conclusion of the stage. 32 km (20 mi) from the finish of the stage is the Passo del Mortirolo, which is only marginally less steep than the Zoncolan, and is 2.7 km (1.7 mi) longer. After the descent from the Mortirolo, a 15 km (9.3 mi) long ramp back to Aprica is the finish.

Stage Map
View attachment 12235

Stage Profile
View attachment 12241

The climbs
View attachment 12236 View attachment 12237
View attachment 12238 View attachment 12239

The last KMs
View attachment 12240

General classification before stage 19

1 David Arroyo Duran (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 76:26:37
2 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:02:27
3 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:44
4 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:03:09
5 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:04:41
6 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:04:53
7 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 0:05:12
8 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:05:24
9 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini 0:09:21
10 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Liquigas-Doimo 0:09:32

I think today we'll see spectacular battle. With bad weather predicted for tomorrow and uncertainty about route, everyone will try to gain today what they need.

Scarponi
Nibali
Evans
Basso
Vinokourov
Sastre

Arroyo is dropping from Mortirilo like a stone!
Savoldelli won his second Giro thanking to descending ability.
Arroyo could repeat that performance.

Arroyo is crawling up Aprica & I think he'll lose his jersey

Yes, it's over for Arroyo.
And I think - that's it.
Basso gained enough time on Evans.

Andrija said:
Yes, it's over for Arroyo.
And I think - that's it.
Basso gained enough time on Evans.

Agreed - Basso rides defensively tommorrow & doesn't do anything stupid in the TT on sunday he's cracked it.

This stage was a tad deceptive, the time gaps on the mortirolo were quite small, as was the gap going into Aprica. But what the Mortirolo did do was absolutely kill off the legs of anyone who wasn't on top form. I was half expecting the 5 chasers to catch Basso, Nibali and Scarponi but the gap just grew and grew and grew. Nice of Nibali and Basso to gift the win to Scarponi like that, I guess they know they've nearly got this Giro sewn up and can afford to give stages away by now.

Tomorrow could be interesting, many many more meters of climbing although they aren't as steep. I'd expect the mountain contenders to try for the first 3 climbs, then by the top of the Gavia the GC people will have overtaken them and be putting the hurt into each other. With such big climbs the Giro can still be won and lost but with Liquigas and Basso in particular looking so strong I think it'll be fighting over the minor places that dominates tomorrows stage. I'd expect Vino to move up a place or two as he'll do better on the shallower climbs, not sure how Aroyo will fare, but if he can descend like a bomb off the Gavia he could well hold onto a podium place.

Stage 19 Results

1 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 5:27:04
2 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo
3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo
4 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 0:03:05
5 John Gadret (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
6 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:03:06
7 David Arroyo Duran (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
8 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team
9 Branislau Samoilau (Blr) Quick Step 0:05:27
10 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Team HTC - Columbia

General classification @ stage 19

1 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 81:55:56
2 David Arroyo Duran (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0:00:51
3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:02:30
4 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:02:49
5 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:04:00
6 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:05:32
7 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Saxo Bank 0:06:00
8 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 0:06:22
9 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Liquigas-Doimo 0:12:44
10 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Team HTC - Columbia 0:13:40

Finally had time to watch the stage. Very exciting. Arroyo's descent was pretty impresive, might be one of the best I've seen, but he and the other 4 riders chasing the leaders were wiped out after the Mortirolo. I was surprised to see that Vino, Evans and Sastre didn't help Arroyo very much on the last climb. Especially Evans and Sastre who sat 4th and 5th before the stage, both getttng passed in the GC by Nibali and Scarponi. However, I'm not sure they could have helped Arroyo; they were gassed. But perhaps Basso, Scarponi and Nibali expended a bit too much energy today and will pay for it during tomorrow's painful stage.

Also, another nice ride by Gadret. Don't know much about him, but he is strong in the mountains.